• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

+P .45 auto?

Lol, well, I certainly don't know the quirks of ammo the way you guys do. I can look at the specifics in my case;
3" barrel
118 gr projectile (about half that of traditional 45 auto)
1300 FPS (about 400 FPS faster than traditional 45 auto)

But what it all means? Well, maybe it's tumbling as I've seen in other videos. Maybe it's too fast for the relatively light weight bullet in this caliber and not enough time in the short barrel to stabilize?

Brad~

If the rifling lands grab the bullet as it should, then the bullet spins correctly whether it is in a 2" barrel or a 12" barrel. The only difference between the two is gaining velocity.

Short barrels don't give a shit if the bullet is light or heavy. The barrel imparts IMMEDIATE twist to the bullet, even if it does not have a full rotation before it leaves the muzzle.

I did another video with the Inceptor ARX +p we had talked a little about previously.

I had someone ask a question on the video so I tried again and did a couple things differently.

1. I used a new backer without a bunch of holes in it so if I was off target I'd see where they were going.
2. I used a larger shoot-n-see target than before.

Again, these cycle, feed, and extract fine. Here's what happened this time in an even comparison vs standard 230 gr ball ammo; they performed pretty much identically with regard to POI. I still haven't tried the potato tunnel.

The beard monologue :p

awesome shooting! glad the new ammo actually prints this time.

You might be looking over your sights a wee bit. But the grouping is solid! You've really tightened that up!

I do definitely still look over my sights. I try not to and I keep telling myself not to. I was surprised that I was on target the way I was so I was looking despite telling myself not to worry about the grouping and just keep looking at the front sight.

@John A. I still might one day. Or at the very least line up some milk jugs full of water.

I have carried Federal Hydra-Shok 185 gr. in my HK USP 45 compact for a long time.
They are a 45+p round. Never chronoed them but I can tell you they are more snappy than a regular 45.
They are getting harder to find these days but I last saw some at luckygunner.com.

4-45ACP165EFMJFederalGuardDog-2.jpg

Have you tried federal guard dog ammo? May be another choice if hollow point are causing feeding issues with the short barrel. They are built to resemble a round nose bullet.

Federal-Guard-Dog00.jpg

I haven’t tried these yet. They’re not readily available around me and other flat nose projectiles have hung up in the past.

What I did find that works for me is Hornady critical duty. Feeds and cycles nicely!

Back