• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lever Guns

I could not resist the lure of those LeveRRRRRevolution .45/70s and today I bought a new .45/70 Marlin Guide Gun.

It came from Davidson's and I thought it was a steal.

10 days and I will have it.
70456.jpg

Then it will be battle of the lever guns!

Description: MAR 1895GBL 45-70 LVR B 6RD
Brand: Marlin
Model: 1895 Guide Gun Big Loop Lever-Action Carbine
Type: Rifle: Lever Action
Caliber: 45-70
Finish: Blue
Action: Lever Action
Stock: Brown Laminate Stock
Sight: FT: Ramp RR: Adjustable Semi-Buckhorn
Barrel Length: 18.5
Overall Length: 37
Weight: 7lbs
Capacity: 6+1 Tubular Magazine
Safety: Hammer Block Safety
Receiver: Blue, Tapped
Butt Plate: Recoil Pad
Features: Ballard-Type Cut Rifling;
Safety Lock Included

Last edited:
Well the blush is off the rose.

I had avoided buying a Marlin, as I heard the quality had gone to hell.

Somehow I talked myself into this one as it was so cheap. Now I know why. The thing isn't built straight.

It's perhaps not quite as bad as it looks in this Photograph, but I guarantee you the sight, tube and barrel do not line up at all.

20180729_205610.jpg

20180729_205746.jpg
In theory, the pin should point to the center of the screw but it does not nor is it centered in the hood, nor is the hood centered on the barrel.

The Ultimate test is if it shoots straight, and I'm going to go find out tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Ouch !!
I know what happened !!........... It was built by a "Lefty" ;)

There be gremlins in them Remlins.

Last edited:
I stayed up rather late last night measuring and examining this gun.

I have determined that this is a very recent manufacture less than 2 months old and it does not appear to have all the problems of the earlier models.

I think I can deal with the straightening of the mag tube and replacement of the sights.

The hood on the front sight is no good however. It was malformed after blanking and it does not sit Square on the gun at all. This makes the whole business look even more crooked than it is.

There are reports of defects in the receiver, but I do not see this on my gun.

In order to have this gun exchanged I have to take it back to my FFL who must send it back to Davidsons who will send it back to Marlin and just send me another gun.

Of course I must pay the shipping one way, but I must also pay a transfer fee to get the gun out of California and another to get it back into California. Finally to get my repaired gun returned to me, I must have another background check!

I don't care if random crazies are murdering people in the streets with AK-47s! I've already passed over 20 background checks and this is totally unreasonable for the state to assume that I am unreliable after 20 background checks.

Because of this all, I will probably keep this gun and repair it myself.

If it were me, I'd be on the Marlin Facebook site, posting the pictures of the type of poor workmanship they pass off to paying customers these days.

You're asking me to dance with the devil so I can relieve a pimple on my butt.

Zuckerberg is a lying crook who made his millions by abusing other people.
I suspect he had an abrasive mother, but I'm no Dr. Phill...

His bigoted and sexist ways became public at school.
First it was women that wouldn't date him in college. He devised a way to electronically abuse other people, become rich and famous, and avoid the public ire.

Then it was data theft from the unsuspecting. Read the rules. What you send zukerberg he owns, and has the right to use against you for financial gain. He won't give it back and he won't erase it. He literally got everyone to drink the Koolaid, and they still love it around the world. The media obscures all this, but if he was a vocal republican they'd be at him 24-7.

I don't do facebook, because I woudn't give the man my time money or attention. Those who use facebook to criticize facebook just increase his mana. It's the third rail I won't touch.

All this will come out, given time, but older folks in the computer biz have known this forever.

Last edited:
BTW, I checked out this Marlin a lot more, though I still haven't shot it.
The sight is trash, but if the barrel is straight I'm going to keep the rifle.

It's a $ PITA to return it if you live in California.

Best of luck with that Marlin. I have a 60's Golden 39A bought new, as most guns back then were some of the best. After mid-60's..not so much. The cut-off for Winchesters was pre-64.
I've put sights on with epoxy....still holding.

I only have a couple guns built before 1974, and they are both old shotguns.
I think I would really like an older Winchester in .45 cal and a Colt revolver to match, but smokeless for sure.
If I ever shoot black powder....well probably never will. Too many other things interest me.
I've been threatening to buy a high-zoot target rifle for a long time.

I traded a couple WWII rifles and a few bucks back in 1970 for my 1902 1886 Winchester Extra Light 45-70. I load it with Unique and a 350 gr cast boolit. Low power load and fun to shoot. It will pass to my son, then his son.
Look to an older Browning for that 45-70. A good 1886 will cost big $$$. Maybe a replica Colt 45.
Cheers

Last edited:
I would love a Browning. I almost bought a nice Sweet16 shotgun, but stupidly didn't offer enough cash for it, and still looking for one that nice.

I can afford the real thing, and when the time comes & I find the right ones, I'll find a way to stuff them in the safe. :)

I have to say that I have overreacted again.

I went out and shot the Marlin today and for $625 this is a fabulous weapon, and an even more terrific toy.

I did not find this gun accurate at all with the Lever Revolution rounds. I don't think they have quite enough powder for this gun. I shot a reasonable pattern at 10 yards (first sighting in of the gun) but every one keyholed.

I switched to the Winchesters and that tightened up the pattern a bit.

I went out to 50 yards shooting the Hornadys, Winchester's and Federal Premium. Federal premiums were the most accurate and the 325gn Hornadays keyholed.

They were dropping about 9" more at 50 yards than the 300gn Federals which claim lesser muzzle velocity (1850 vs 2000 for Hornaday.) Winchesters where in between.

It's funny that I can look at this gun and see that the barrel is screwed in a little off-index, and the dovetails are not dead level on the sights.

This complaint has existed since the first review which I read. But evidently if you bend and drift the sites around the gun shoots reasonably straight.

One thing is certain & that is that this Marlin has a lot of knock down power with the Federal Premiums in it.

It's about the same velocity as my .30-30 but it throws twice as much lead. Lots of fun to shoot.

20180801_151141_resized.jpg

20180801_151713_resized_1.jpg

I can't believe my luck, but then, I have always been undeservedly lucky.

I found a brand new .357/.38 sp Rossi M92 in stainless at Kentucky Gun Company. https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=95118 My local FFL was amazed I found it and said they have unable to get anything Rossi for the past two years. Fired it today. Shoots great. Extremely stiff lever action and loading gate, though. Not sure if I'll smooth off some edges myself, or just give the break in process a chance to work.

95118-M.jpg
Take care. Tom Worthington

That is a real beauty Tom. I really like the .357m as a carbine load.

I was a little leery of that steel butt plate, until I fired it. Any kind of cushioning would have been a waste. It is such a soft shooter it reminds me of one of my .22s. Take care. Tom Worthington

Maybe this is only true with the Rossi 92, but it sure disappointed me. I figured I could fire two shots and then top off two rounds. No go. If there are ANY rounds in the magazine, the loading gate is blocked from being depressed. In other words, no rounds can be added to the magazine until there are no rounds left in the magazine. Is this just Rossi? Am I missing something? Take care. Tom Worthington

No the Mossberg 30-30 was just the same until I got it broken in.

I think I dressed off the tip of the loading gate a little bit to make everything smoother.

Back