• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave HD Ammo Question

Tomac

P8040001.JPG My Shockwaves w/the S&J +1 extension will barely hold 6+1 rds of std star-crimped 2.75".
However, I've picked up a quantity of the S&B 2.75" 9-pellet 00 & 12-pellet #1 buck loads for HD (currently #1 buck in the bedroom Shockwave to reduce the chances of overpenetration). I like the recoil impulse, the price (especially the price!) and the shot pattern. However, due to the roll crimp, I can only fit 5+1 in my Shockwaves.

I'm thinking of picking up some 12-pellet 2.75" 00 for 'just in case' max interpersonal conflict resolution situations and have narrowed my choices to these two:
The S&B 12-pellet 00, only 5+1 but also only $.35/rd.
The Federal 12-pellet 00, gives me 6+1 but costs $.68/rd (nearly twice as much).

Yes, I've fired 2.75" 00 magnum out of my Shockwaves and don't find it unpleasant (slower to get back on target, though), but want a supply of the most powerful buck loads I can handle effectively.

So, the question is go cheap and 5+1 or spend double and get 6+1?

Tomac

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts for your consideration.

1. If you look at the majority of docunented actual HD situations they are typically resolved in short order and with a minimum number of shells expended.

2. I'd recommend you carry a few extra shells of different varieties (of your choice) either in your pocket or on a gun mounted shell holder. I personally use Esstac short cards which mount using Velcro. Easy to intermix different types of shells on a single card and/or carry extra shot cards. They tear off once empty and are easily replaced with a second card if needed.

3. Most importantly, recommend you practice "combat" reloading once you've expended a couple of shells to ensure your SW is always topped off and ready. Also practice direct ejection port loading in case you run dry or need to change out shell types.

Technique over quantity.

Regards

Thx for the reply.
1) Agreed, that's why I'm not overly concerned w/capacity, but am interested in weighing the tradeoffs between power/price/capacity.
2) Already done (edited OP to include Shockwave pic), for in-house use am thinking of 5+1 #1 buck, plus 3x12-pellet 00 buck & 2 slugs in the sidesaddle.
3) Already practicing that each range trip. W/the Shockwave I rotate it nearly 90 degrees counter-clockwise w/my support hand so the ejection port is pointed nearly straight up. Then my strong hand can either drop one from the sidesaddle into the ejection port or (time permitting) top off the magazine tube. The angle of the GG&G sidesaddle makes this easy.

Tomac

Thx for the reply.
1) Agreed, that's why I'm not overly concerned w/capacity, but am interested in weighing the tradeoffs between power/price/capacity.
2) Already done (edited OP to include Shockwave pic), for in-house use am thinking of 5+1 #1 buck, plus 3x12-pellet 00 buck & 2 slugs in the sidesaddle.
3) Already practicing that each range trip. W/the Shockwave I rotate it nearly 90 degrees counter-clockwise w/my support hand so the ejection port is pointed nearly straight up. Then my strong hand can either drop one from the sidesaddle into the ejection port or (time permitting) top off the magazine tube. The angle of the GG&G sidesaddle makes this easy.

Tomac

Tomac, one technique you might try while "combat" reloading. Instead of using your strong hand to reload you might try using your support hand to reload the magazine. This allows you to maintain your strong hand in position to engage a threat immediately without losing focus on the target. If you need you can singlehanded fire the SW.

Technique - While maintaining your strong hand on the grip and trigger finger ready, simply rotate the SW clockwise slightly while using your support hand to extract a shell from the saddle and then drive it home. This technique also supports port loading by using your support hand to reach over and insert a shell from the top.

On other technique I use while carrying a combination of buckshot and slugs on the saddle (shot card) is to position the buckshot down and slugs up. That way you don't need to look at the saddle to find the right type of shell you want. Allows you to maintain focus on the threat and simply feel for the right type of shell. This technique only works if you always load them the same way everytime and practice.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards

Pray for the best and prepared for the worst....

My approach is to keep it simple. I prefer a controllable buckshot load that will provide me with faster follow up shots and a little spread in close quarters. I keep my SW cruiser ready nose down, grip up and with 9 loads of 00 on board to meet threat. I practice shooting doubles from 21`-0`, 21` being the longest clear shot I can make in my home. Practice builds confidence!

Back