• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

And for the same reason I wouldn't want to shoot a bear with birdshot inside my house. That would be up to a 600 pound pissed off critter.

You would want it to just stop and lay down immediately.

birdshot sure isn't the solution to that problem.

And why I don't treat it as the solution to the 2 legged kind either.

You do bring up good points about strategy. My family doesn't help clear the house or outside when they hear a bump in the night. It's me that gets shook awake and tasked with making sure that all is well.

Just for grins here is a little reading....

(#8 BIRDSHOT –

With approximately 460 #8 pellets fired from a 12 gauge shotgun into ballistic gelatin, we can see a significant permanent wound cavity, but only 4.5 to 5 inches of penetration. While this would cause a significant wound, it would most likely not provide the penetration to instantaneously end the threat.

Shotgun Ballistics http://aegisacademy.com/shotgun-ballistics/ )

According to the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health...

2-dimensional echocardiograms were performed on 150 standing adults in the parasternal, apical, and subcostal views. From each view, the shortest linear skin-to-heart distance was measured.

parasternal. : adjacent to the sternum.

Average skin-to-heart distances were: parasternal 32.1 +/- 7.9 mm (1.26378 inches).

So it`s less than 2 inches from the surface of the skin to the outer surface of the heart.

1 mm = 0.0393701 inches

Just for grins here is a little reading....

(#8 BIRDSHOT –

With approximately 460 #8 pellets fired from a 12 gauge shotgun into ballistic gelatin, we can see a significant permanent wound cavity, but only 4.5 to 5 inches of penetration. While this would cause a significant wound, it would most likely not provide the penetration to instantaneously end the threat.

Shotgun Ballistics http://aegisacademy.com/shotgun-ballistics/ )

According to the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health...

2-dimensional echocardiograms were performed on 150 standing adults in the parasternal, apical, and subcostal views. From each view, the shortest linear skin-to-heart distance was measured.

parasternal. : adjacent to the sternum.

Average skin-to-heart distances were: parasternal 32.1 +/- 7.9 mm (1.26378 inches).

So it`s less than 2 inches from the surface of the skin to the outer surface of the heart.

1 mm = 0.0393701 inches

Elbert, don't disagree with the facts you presented however think it would be very interesting to see the results of the same ballistic gel test if the entry point was covered with seasonal clothing especially a winter jacket, sweater and shirt. Suspect the wad might inflict the most pain.

Everyone's threat situation is different. Lots of difference between living in a condo vice the middle of a 100 acre ranch.

Like I said earlier choices are good.

Regards

From a hunting perspective.

Small shot loses energy fast. The least amount of desired penetration on a 4 legend predator is 3”. That means plated lead BB is only good to around 35 yards or so. Bird shot doesn’t get close to that. Heavier than lead helps increase the range a little bit from experience, heavy weight B at 40 yards isn’t enough unless it’s a well placed shot.

Now, you’re talking 8 shot on a cage of bone and flesh and clothing that gets a couple inches of penetration on bare gelatin. I can tell you from experience that even slightly larger shot won’t break bone.

I’ll add this concession though. My shots aren’t point blank, the closest is maybe 15 yards. But some of those even on squirrel and feral cats. Soft tissue, sure it’s mangled. But I’ve seen rib cages exposed and in tact.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -Harry Callahan

Though it may not be the choice for most, there are individuals that for one reason or another cannot use buckshot or slugs in their SW for HD and they have to rely on lighter loads.... Birdshot in close quarters (0 to 21ft) can be a viable option with practice and proper shot placement. In most cases home invaders are not wearing body armor and after reviewing a list of fatal bear attacks, only one took place inside the home..:) so there is that random possibility that a large carnivore can attack you within the confines of your domicile!

Twenty-five fatal black bear attacks

house-gub.jpg

I advice that you use the heaviest load that your circumstance will allow and If you have to take this fight outside with your SW I would suggest a flight controled 00.

Personally I live in a rural setting so over penetration is not much of a concern so I`m currently using a low recoil 00 buckshot. For most of my adult life the Mozambique drill was gospel but these days work on doubles to the T zone from 14`, 21` and 28`, pretty much the distance where most fights will take place. Everybody`s circumstance will vary, so find what works best for you! Practice builds confidence!

T-zone: the eyes, nose, and throat.

Here`s a load of Hornady low recoil 00 hitting a 18" chunk of solid oak from 28ft....

Answering a question to me posted in the photo forum:
["pepi, post: 260198, member: 3478"]
Is the Shockwave with the empty rail on it hard to aim with?
I would kind of like to have one on mine for different sighting devices but would also like to be able to shoot and hit without and devices mounted.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. I put the rail on the shockwave for lights and lasers, and I thought at first, with nothing installed, the groove in the empty rail would help align for aiming, but by the time I aligned the front sight in the groove, the gun was pointing uphill. The rail is too thick I think, or the front sight is too low, or it was just me. I had to aim really low on the humanoid target to hit high in the chest area. So I took the rail off.
I have come back to almost bare naked on top on both the regular shockwave and the Compact Cruiser. They are planned for self defense only, to prepare for a bear at 10-15 yards and closing, or an intruder in the hall. I have the Big Dot on front, and for alignment with the point of aim, I put 2 screws with low profile heads in the front and rear holes on top of the receiver, then put 2 of the flush screws in the remaining holes. So, no provision for lights. Have to come back to that.
By lining up the two screw heads with the Big dot, it works pretty well. I was at the range shooting slugs earlier this week, and it was going so well at 10 yards that I ran the target out into the dark end and sent 4 rounds down there. I was amazed to see them all within the silhouette.
In case anyone is interested in the Compact Cruiser, the $5 stamp came pretty quickly (7 months). The travel paperwork to take it camping with me this year took from July 5th to email the scanned copies, approved on the 11th, and received back to me by snail-mail on the 19th. So 14 days total. It is just as manageable a gun as the full size shockwave, recoil of Brenneke Knock Out (K.O.) slugs is fine, or the Anti Terror Slug (ATS) too. Same numbers, just about. I shot a box of the slugs Brenneke makes for stopping car engines, and that was a bit much. Good thing I was practiced holding on to the forearm with the strap. I'll keep the car killers around, but I don't expect to use them. But the K.O. or the ATS will be fine, and they are pretty impressive, going downrange. I'm sure they would stop a large angry animal, if necessary.
_26.2 inches_and_22.2 inches.jpg
This photo is a little dated; the cruiser has the normal cap on the mag tube again, so it holds (3) 2.75" shells, and has just 2 screws on top. It does hold 4 shells with that extension, but there is erosion.
rv

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't know Jerry was still alive and trippin! :D

My dot and I fired the 500 trunk gun the last time at the range. Hogue Tamers installed, PG only with 18.5" barrel. I had 5 formally "wet" birdshot shells I wanted to burn through to get rid of and surprisingly there were no duds. :) Dot says "what about me?" but unfortunately I was out of shot shells so I let her load a 00 buck round and a deer slug, both 2-3/4". Those also reside in the trunk. The ought certainly gave her a nice kick but the slug surprised both of us! :p Didn't hit her in the face or chest or anything but I could tell it was not pleasant! :eek: "You want to fire some more?" to which she replied "no". :D

I'll update with the video I took using her Iphone if she can figure out how to put it on a PC...

I`ve had this grip for several months now and decided to give it another shot
1f600.png
. It feels good in the hand and it makes sighting over the barrel a little more natural than the raptor grip....on previous tests it does absorb some recoil. Installed it measures out to 27 inches and some change....

Blackhawk Knoxx Breachers Grip Gen 3

102_9076.JPG

102_9075.JPG

I ran some Fiocchi low recoil through it and it was smooth! At 21ft I was able to put every load in a 6.5" circle, I was getting about a 3" spread at 21ft with the Fiocchi....The Blackhawk Knoxx Breachers Grip Gen 3 is a keeper for awhile anyway!

102_9091.JPG

102_9084.JPG

Last edited:
That combination looks better than the factory config. in my opinion.

I have to back peddle a bit.....I ran a variety of loads through the SW yesterday with the Gen 3 grip on it and decided that the raptor grip fits my needs the best and changed it back. I can still bring it to bear and put a full complement on center mass and I`m comfortable with that. I tried using a 2 point sling on the Gen 3 and Raptor and didn`t care for it, I found it too awkward to handle, I think I`ll try a single point with a quick release. One of my goals is to keep it simple and light as possible.

102_9103.JPG

Back