• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hey, could some of you 930 SPXers have a look:

Late in replying, but:

Correct, your 930 will not lock the bolt back if rounds are in the tube. DO NOT "float the bolt", i.e., have it hold back by friction. There are just soooo many dangerous/disastrous mishaps that could occur. I'm in the process of getting the time assigned to install a shell-drop lever (Benelli Super 90) in one of my 930s. The assemblies are almost identical, but the differences require a good bit of modification to a triggerguard, so I'm wanting to make sure I've, "measured twice," to cut once.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/740950

Late in replying, but:

Correct, your 930 will not lock the bolt back if rounds are in the tube. DO NOT "float the bolt", i.e., have it hold back by friction. There are just soooo many dangerous/disastrous mishaps that could occur. I'm in the process of getting the time assigned to install a shell-drop lever (Benelli Super 90) in one of my 930s. The assemblies are almost identical, but the differences require a good bit of modification to a triggerguard, so I'm wanting to make sure I've, "measured twice," to cut once.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/740950

Thanks for replying. As they say, better late than never. And never looks like the standard response.

Can you describe the purpose/function of a shell-drop lever?

Thanks for replying. As they say, better late than never. And never looks like the standard response.

Can you describe the purpose/function of a shell-drop lever?
It's been a long time since I had an M1, but:
The shell-drop lever allows cycling/lock back of the bolt while retaining the shells in the tube. In shooting low-dram loads in the M1, manual cycling involves stroking the shell-drop lever (located where the slide-release is on an 870), then swiping the bolt back and dropping the right hand back to shooting grip, fire and repeat.

My issues in fitting one to the 930 involve the fact that the hammer-spring cap applies pressure to, and is retained by, the shell-drop lever, when the hammer is dropped. I have not yet measured to see if the angle of the spring pathway is the same from the 930 to the M1. If they are, it will be straightforward, cutting a notch in the hammer spring channel and the lower lip of the trigger guard. If not, the distancing between the trigger guard pin sleeve and the firing pin channel would be off, which would involve some other manipulations, which may or may not overcome the problem-if it exists.;)

D16758.jpg

An intentionally huge pic. On the lower gun, you can clearly see the serrated surface of the shell-drop lever to the right of the trigger guard, and its extension below the bolt release/shell stop assembly (its the silver part above the s/n). This part effectively removes the double-feed issue if you hit that big, chubby bolt/shell release button.

Hi, Lefty, I pirated the pic, but IIRC, it's a Benelli.

Since there are only so many ways to skin this particular cat, the 930 uses parts from Benelli, Browning, possibly Weatherby, and Beretta.

IMO, and I truly don't know this, Mossberg put together a shotgun using their barrel and receiver, with the pins and levers straight from other makers.

They modified their trigger group and dropped the shell release lever from the bolt-release/shell-release assembly(Benelli) to avoid patent infringement.

The solid lifter is welded up. You could get one done by Taran Tactical, Benny Hill, or one of the other 3-gun builders. There was a shop selling them as drop-in, but orders exceeded production, and I don't know if they're still operating.

Taran and Triangle Shooting Sports(Benny's shop) will work your 930 lifter.

Back