• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FBI Study About Cop Attackers & Their Weapons

I'm not making any claims about what people can do with knives or guns and I'm only reporting what I was told by a handgun instructor.

Anyhow 40% of those shots did hit.

Another oldie but a goodie: LINK "Shooting for Survival" circa 1974. I would imagine that the pistol techniques have changed somewhat due to the widespread use of semi-autos now (ie: slide bite).

if someone was within I think 10 feet of you, they could have you stabbed before your gun is fully drawn, aimed, or fired.

Hey John it's even worst than that. If you are plinking on the range or have time and or cover using sights may work for you, but you better learn how to point shoot. I personally have never used sights and never will. You'll note it's a heck of an aftermarket business.
I enjoy my range plinking but first and foremost I have a gun for self-defense. And my daily routine is more of a up close and personal encounter after the cold cock never seen and on my a-- trying to get to my gun. The last thing I'll be worried about is a sight picture.

I was brutally attacked many years ago with a baseball bat and by a person who knew what they were doing.
Suffice to say I have analyzed it and had I had a gun at the time I'm dead if I got trained using sights.
The internet has become a two edged sword out here and it's selling bulls*it in droves.

Last edited:
Point shooting is fine up close. And certainly within the distances that you're referring to ^.

But outside of that...

If it's beyond 25 feet, (not yards) you are not in a self-defense but perhaps a fire fight. Or perhaps stupid enough to stick around. (I got many stories to tell mostly being young and naive/stupid)
Me personally I'm looking for a way out, I'll let the cops stand their ground.

Ones life can be in peril from any distance. Lots of self defense shootings at distances greater than 25 feet.

My Driveway is longer than that.

Good luck with that one in court. Times have changed and if the cops are going to prison now you most assuredly will because you overreacted/panic and killed someone because they were on your driveway.

Good luck with that one in court. Times have changed and if the cops are going to prison now you most assuredly will because you overreacted/panic and killed someone because they were on your driveway.

That's not even close to what I said. Great attempt to try to put words in my mouth.

Sorry, I'm not buying the argument that sights slow you down.

As far as distence shots, I can think of multiple scenarios where shooting at distence is a legitmate option.

If someone oulls a gun on me at any distence in which they can hit me, that person is a threat.

What about an active shooter scenario?

I understand point shooting at close distence. In a close encounter there often are no other options and I'm sure most of us have trained this way, but going without sights really limits you capabilities with that firearm and I believe it would seriously hurt you in court after the fact, esp in a civil suit.

I'll stick with sights on my guns.

4:45 am today a man was killed when walked out of his house. He heard a noise and went out to check. Someone was trying to steal his car from the driveway. He was shot by the would be thief. Police are searching for the perpetrator.

In hind sight, he should have called the police and stayed indoors. The news did say whether the home owner was armed or not.

This occurred in Tulsa.

If you are plinking on the range or have time and or cover using sites may work for you, but you better learn how to point shoot. I personally have never used sites and never will. You'll note it's a heck of an aftermarket business.
I enjoy my range plinking but first and foremost I have a gun for self-defense. And my daily routine is more of a up close and personal encounter after the cold cock never seen and on my a-- trying to get to my gun. The last thing I'll be worried about is a site picture.

I was brutally attacked many years ago with a baseball bat and by a person who knew what they were doing.
Suffice to say I have analyzed it and had I had a gun at the time I'm dead if I got trained using sites.
The internet has become a two edged sword out here and it's selling bulls*it in droves.

Mr. mamma jamma,

Hi. Happy Thanksgiving.

In spite of my nickname given to me by Army buddies (because I was my platoons assigned precision rifleman with night vision optics), the correct word you should, from here on out, endeavor to learn how to spell and put in use is "sights".

And are you insinuating that sights are only available as aftermarket offerings and firearms are sold sans any sights at all?

4:45 am today a man was killed when walked out of his house. He heard a noise and went out to check. Someone was trying to steal his car from the driveway. He was shot by the would be thief. Police are searching for the perpetrator.

In hind sight, he should have called the police and stayed indoors. The news did say whether the home owner was armed or not.

This occurred in Tulsa.

In TN you cannot use deadly force to protect property. So if you see someone stealing stuff out of your home, about all you can do is ask the perp to leave you alone. Sucks. Get description, car color and make, plate #, direction of travel... Report what you can to 911. Collect insurance.

That's not even close to what I said. Great attempt to try to put words in my mouth.

MamJams trying to put bullets coming out of your muzzle. ;) But we know you better than that, John. :) And I "liked" your video MamJam, although the link is dead. I previously posted a working video in post #20 and it is the "21 foot rule" of a knife against a gun. BTW, a "site" is a place or location, a "sight" is an optical device or action using such. Situational awareness is still key ALL THE TIME. If you are prepared for the worst, you will have the BEST reaction and outcome.

PS: we are lucky to have the "Castle Doctrine" here in FL which also includes your chariot. "Stand Your Ground" is also part of that but many have tried to use that as a defense for murder and that is not what the law is for. If someone attempts to attack you and retreats once you draw your weapon, you can NOT shoot them because you are no longer being "attacked". If they continue with the attack, you may defend yourself (as it should be) and are not obligated to retreat. Castle Doctrine implies that if someone enters your house or conveyance you can use whatever force is necessary to defend your property. It is assumed that anyone entering your house or car with you in it is armed and can be dealt with by lethal force, IF necessary. But that is a choice you have to make in a split decision with proper forethought as to the scenario if presented and consequences either good or bad for you or the assailant...

Last edited:
To those who pointed out the word 'sites' in my post with the video I edited it to the correct spelling, Thank You.

John, please don't take what I said the wrong way. It was not my intention to insulate you are the kind of person who should not own a gun.
I myself only carry because I can't run anymore and my gift of blabber doesn't work as well anymore either, but I certainly don't want to end my days in prison being bent over by jr. bubba.

I don't even think about my gun when I'm out and about, it's only a very last resort for me. I got through life without one before I got crippled up.
And I have been beaten, robbed, assaulted and held hostage at the end of a rifle. (and still never saw the need to carry a gun)

And if the SHTF ever does happen in America, some of the first people we most likely will have to shoot will be family members and neighbors.
(even the Bible mentions never to trust them to far)
Point being it ain't just the hood rats we will have to worry about.

And if the SHTF ever does happen in America, some of the first people we most likely will have to shoot will be family members and neighbors.

Boy oh Boy,

I am really enjoying your contributions to this forum. Without you, this would be a very boring site. Or conversely, without you it would be a much better site. Others can decide.

Yes, I did use the correct word.

Last edited:
If it's beyond 25 feet, (not yards) you are not in a self-defense but perhaps a fire fight. Or perhaps stupid enough to stick around. (I got many stories to tell mostly being young and naive/stupid)
Me personally I'm looking for a way out, I'll let the cops stand their ground

Please, spare me the lecture. It leaves me yawning and yearning for something of actual substance. I have better things with which to spend my time. Thanks!

Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.
:crazy:

I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.
:crazy:

Lol, I'm going deaf and blind myself. (hint hint) B.S. never likes to be made to feel like sh*t, you know what I mean. Low self esteem and the need to hide behind something by making themselves look better than they really are by either putting others down or lieing about them to others. If you spend enough time around it in your life and you'll see they fit a certain pattern. Generally you'll see it most with the weed smokers a little with the drunks and the rather odd thing is with those who never really had any talent or skills to make it in the private sector. Which is rather interesting to say the least.

In TN you cannot use deadly force to protect property. So if you see someone stealing stuff out of your home, about all you can do is ask the perp to leave you alone. Sucks. Get description, car color and make, plate #, direction of travel... Report what you can to 911. Collect insurance.

In my state, I can, however, I wouldn't. The only way I would do that is to protect life. Whether mine, or another. That is my proverbial line in the sand.

John, please don't take what I said the wrong way. It was not my intention to insulate you are the kind of person who should not own a gun.
(even the Bible mentions never to trust them to far)

Point being it ain't just the hood rats we will have to worry about.

mammajamma, I don't really know any other way to take what you wrote. Nobody here is advocating killing people. On the contrary, the topic was based on how to SURVIVE an up close violent encounter and some things to look for. I even went back and re-read over the entire topic and I didn't see anyone discussing ways or when it is morally or legally allowed to kill someone.

Back