• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Muffs and plugs

I was out with my new T/C Compass .223 and wearing plugs and muffs.
Dang muffs interfere with a good cheek weld while bench resting the T/C.
Later, was shooting my Mav 88 and had the same problem..hitting the muffs when shouldering the 88
So,...I need to either get some slim muffs or just go with the plugs.
The plugs have a 29 rating, muffs 25.
My hearing [at 78 yrs] is still good, although I'm dealing with tinnitus left over from a severe infection
How 'bout some inputs on what you all get by with.

I know that it wasn't in your list, but I use a suppressor as often as I can.

And on the guns I can't, I use muffs. I get a lot of ear infections and I usually avoid sticking anything in my ears.

I recently bought a cheap pair of muffs at walmart that were black and kind of fold up when you're done with them. They have a 29 rating and are a lot smaller profile than my old ones.

And they were the cheapest pair that walmart had ironically yet the rating was several db better than more expensive brands.

Surefire makes something that looks interesting. They actually have a few types but start at around $14.

https://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

You’ve seen the Hickok45 videos? He uses this thing that’s like an orange headband with plugs on the ends. That’s the same thing I use. I’ve had the one set for maybe 8 years now. The ends are replaceable but I’ve only changed mine once. I don’t actually put them in my ears. My hearing is a little whacked but with that headband style, nothing is loud enough to set off the crazy ringing that I get. The stuff I do at work is worse.

I’d like to try the surefire, but I don’t like stuff in my ears either. I definitely don’t like muffs with long guns for the reasons you mentioned.

Surefire makes something that looks interesting. They actually have a few types but start at around $14.

https://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

You’ve seen the Hickok45 videos? He uses this thing that’s like an orange headband with plugs on the ends. That’s the same thing I use. I’ve had the one set for maybe 8 years now. The ends are replaceable but I’ve only changed mine once. I don’t actually put them in my ears. My hearing is a little whacked but with that headband style, nothing is loud enough to set off the crazy ringing that I get. The stuff I do at work is worse.

I’d like to try the surefire, but I don’t like stuff in my ears either. I definitely don’t like muffs with long guns for the reasons you mentioned.

I just put an order in Amazon for these: Howard Leight QB2HYG-1 Quiet Band NRR 25 Canada Class,
$5.39 and free shipping.
I'll try them out with a .22LR first and see how it goes

I just put an order in Amazon for these: Howard Leight QB2HYG-1 Quiet Band NRR 25 Canada Class,
$5.39 and free shipping.
I'll try them out with a .22LR first and see how it goes

Those are the ones! I like them a lot!

I use those too because they sell them at our range house. But even so I can't get a comfortable weld.

I put a plug in the right ear, then slip the cup off half way when I'm ready to aim.

It works, but the Sonic Defender looks like a good deal.

I use those too because they sell them at our range house. But even so I can't get a comfortable weld.

I put a plug in the right ear, then slip the cup off half way when I'm ready to aim.

It works, but the Sonic Defender looks like a good deal.

There are a few styles of those from ep3 to ep7. A couple of those use soft memory foam if you prefer that.

I use a cheapo set of muffs from Wal-Mart. I also will shoot a round or two without anything from time to time to remind myself how loud the report will be if I ever have to pull the trigger on very short notice. I also usually fire a full mag at the range without my glasses for the same reason.

When I’m hunting I don’t wear any ear pro and I never even notice. Only when I’m target shooting.

I wear the earmuffs or plugs unless I forget and then the gun reminds me instantly.

Hunting was never a big deal because you only get to shoot once or twice.

But I go target shooting and the range is often very noisy, and I'm shooting off hundreds of rounds per trip.

Last time out I shot a round through the 12 gauge without my ears on. Just one was enough thank you. ;)

I don't shoot any magnum size rifle calibers but I do shoot quite a few 30 caliber rifles. I have a cheapo set of electronic muffs I bought several years ago at Gander Mountain in Springfield IL. They work great for pistol but I have the same problem as shotzfyred when shooting rifles, they ruin the cheek weld. So I fell back on my military time and bought a bag of reusable/disposable foam ear plugs for rifle shooting. The foam has a NRR of 32 and they work very well. As far as ear infections I do get them from time to time, but I decided to try a trick and when I get home after using the foam ear plugs I use a q-tip dunked in peroxide in each ear. Not too deep but in far enough to allow a little to run into my ear. Seems to have worked pretty well. My ear infections have been reduced quite a bit since.

I wear the earmuffs or plugs unless I forget and then the gun reminds me instantly.

Yep, been there... when I used to shoot Practical Pistol (IPSC) I'd move the muffs to the top of my head to hear the stage briefing, but one time i was up first to shoot, and forgot the muffs.... for the first shot anyway..!!

Since then I've always used Electronic muffs so I can hear talking, but not the big bangs.

My first pair were bulky but fine for handguns, so when we lost handguns and I went to rifles i changed to Howard Leigh's.. they're slimmer, but still do get in the way a bit.

For Shotguns and pistol calibres I use these..
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/napier-pro-9-ear-defenders

I have also used them for .223, but thats on the edge of effectiveness... and pretty much useless when you're on the range and someone is using a .303 or a Nagant carbine next to you.!!

I already have significant hearing loss ranging from normal up to about 500 Hz but tapering down to profound loss in the higher frequencies. As a result, I am very keen to keep the hearing I have left.

Walker's has a couple of neck band type electronic buds with a NRR of 31. Mine are the Razor VX, but to be honest I've never used the bluetooth function. You can easily save money by going with the Razor X and forgoing bluetooth. Either way they don't get in the way when shooting long guns.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/neck-bands/

I shoot indoors alot and double up with plugs and electronic muffs. Outdoors is not near as bad, so I usually just use my electronic muffs then. I have a hearing loss in my left ear plus tinnitus, so I am pretty careful with what hearing I have left.

Back