• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

nerding out over hunting camo

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I know that many people have their favorite camo pattern. I think there's a lot of different patterns available for a lot of different areas.

But when you move out of a region, or even a mile away, your favorite hunting pattern may not blend in as well as it did before.

As many of you know, I really like my camo's. I've hunted in blue jeans and red flannel and an M65 field jacket for many years and many different hunts.

But I have became a bigger fan of camo over the years. I may even be called a camo junky a time or two by a few, but I mainly just appreciate a pattern that works well for how and where I hunt. In honesty, I still wear camo patterns that I wore back in the 90's when I find something I like, I like it.

But a while back, I noticed a new pattern that I had never heard of before, and I loved it at first sight. It has taken some effort, but I have finally found a company that is finally offering water immersion film of it, and tomorrow, I'm going to order several meters of it.

The first gun that I plan to camo with it, is the Turkish MX5 semiauto shotgun since I've been itching to do something with it. My buddy has a smokepole and a 243 bolt action that he's wanting to do, so we should make pretty quick work of the film.

I don't own any rights to any of these next few pictures and I'm not claiming it as my own work because it's not, but I'm going to add them to this post to give you an idea of how the pattern looks, but I'm amazed at the depth and detail and I think that it will fit in really well in a lot of different areas. I mean, rocks are everywhere. At least around here.

Since it has a semi-transparent film, I can easily use a darker or lighter or altogether different base coat color and better match it to my specific area, which I like. I can tune it more to where I live.

ston camo.JPG

ston-premiere-gallery-rifle.jpg

Oh snap! That stuff is stone cold awesome!!

I know the originator of the camo pattern probably has a particular set of base coat colors they use, especially considering that the pattern is partially transparent, but I'm wondering how it would look with a granite krylon base coat? Or their pebble color.

I admit that I'm not a big fan of krylon in general, but they have a couple of different color "rock" textured and colored paints.

And we all know a little extra grip isn't really a bad thing either. It's not real rough or scratchy. But it is textured.

The granite (light grey) and pebble (beigish tan) appeal more to me than the other colors.

stone-spray-paint-krylon-natural-stone-spray-paint-blick-art-materials.jpg

The film hasn't arrived yet (supposed to be delivered today-- UPS has a terrible tendency of coming at zero dark thirty after supper) so I've been going through a bunch of different color paints to try to match up the best to what I find naturally.

I need to look at the film and determine what colors are on it, and then will try to see which base coat that I need to use, but so far, it looks like a combination of nutmeg and khaki.

They're supposed to give me a color card what they recommend, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it or something else altogether.

In the meantime, the shotgun has been taken all the way down, sanded and is prepped and ready to get sprayed.

ston camo 008.JPG

The film arrived this evening and I was able to look at the color chip to match with what the manufacturer recommended. I was able to get it pretty close. It's actually a little lighter than masking tape, and when you lay the film over top of the base coat color, it looks good.

I did go a step further though and I misted a light primer grey and also misted a satin almond over the parts to give the base coat a little more "depth" and color. It's really subtle and you don't even notice unless you're looking for it and not enough to really alter the color, but I think it's going to do better.

This will give a better look on the transparent parts of the film and the specks aren't enough to alter the pattern, so I think it's going to be a win.

ston 001.JPG

ston 009.JPG

ston 008.JPG

Oh, man.

I was skeptical over the light base coat, but dang. The pictures don't do it justice. There is just so much detail that the camera misses that your eye picks up.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the rest of it turns out.

Still need to dip the barrel, the receiver, the stock and the forend and the long mag tube. But those will have to come later today or this evening with any luck.

ston dip 003.JPG

ston dip 005.JPG

ston dip 009.JPG

Oh, man.

I was skeptical over the light base coat, but dang. The pictures don't do it justice. There is just so much detail that the camera misses that your eye picks up.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the rest of it turns out.

Still need to dip the barrel, the receiver, the stock and the forend and the long mag tube. But those will have to come later today or this evening with any luck.

View attachment 19122

View attachment 19123

View attachment 19124
Salivating !!!!!

Just wait until I get it clear coated and put back together. I think you'll be surprised once I get it in the woods and get some pictures.

I got it clear coated earlier this morning. I think I'll be able to get it together and some pics this evening if the weather holds out for a short hike into my old stomping grounds. I have a place in mind for the backdrop.

I've seen some pretty nice looking camo patterns, but nothing like this. I told you guys that I was nerding out. From what I can tell, it looks just as good up close as it does at a distance. Something a lot of other camo's fail at.

stone mountain 003.JPG

I know the next 2 pictures, the gun doesn't blend in so well to the background, but I wanted to share it anyway. This old Elm is one of the native American trail marking trees. I could tell you what it points to, but would derail the thread too badly. But I wanted to show it anyway.

stone mountain 047.JPG

stone mountain 049.JPG

See who can spot it first in the picture below.

stone mountain 078.JPG

Verry nice @John A.
Il be picking up a candidate for this treatment tommorrow . Its an older mossy 835 turkey configuration. Pawn shop deal of the day has some wear n tear finish wise. Its going to be Christmas present for the wife so ive been pondering finishes this is a winner you have right there . Prepare to have your brain picked sir.

Back