• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Morning laughs courtesy of TTAG

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Saw this as a Facebook post, and clicked to see why I shouldn’t carry a .45 ACP 1911.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...three-reasons-not-to-carry-a-45-caliber-1911/

Three Reasons Not to Carry a .45 Caliber 1911
Robert Farago
Oct 30, 2017 |

I used to carry a .45 caliber commander-sized Wilson Combat X-TAC(above). These days, I carry a 9mm commander-sized Wilson Combat EDC X9. Only not everyday. A lot of time I pocket carry a Ruger LCP II instead. Here’s why . . .

1. 1911’s are too heavy

When it comes to shooting, it’s good thing John Moses Browning’s .45 caliber meisterstuck weighs a proverbial ton (roughly 38.5 ounces for a full-size 1911, 36 ounces for Commander-sized 1911). The weight tames recoil. Add a slim-line design and a iceberg-crisp single-action trigger, and you’ve got an easily concealable, incredibly accurate handgun firing a big boy bullet. What’s not to love?

The weight. I’m not saying you can’t schlep JMB’s ballistic boat anchor comfortably. Buy a gun belt capable of hoisting an Airstream motorhome, cinch it tighter than a flea’s anus, stash your 1911 in a secure holster, and off you go. As I said, I’ve done it. I also dated a woman with life-sized angels’ wings tattooed on her back. Just like carrying a 1911 around, that got a bit old.

OK, maybe I did. But don’t forget that The People of the Gun tend to carry a lot of ancillary gear: knife, phone, keys, wallet, sunglasses, spare mag and flashlight. Add a full-sized 1911 to your load out and you’re looking at carrying five pounds of clobber. You’re supposed to let the bodies hit the floor, not your pants. And no matter how comfy you make your EDC 1911 et al., it isn’t going to be that comfortable.

2. 1911’s are low capacity

There’s no need for caliber wars here friends. I understand why someone would want to shoot a bad guy with the ammunition equivalent of a slow-moving telephone pole, rather a fast moving pool cue. But no matter how much “stopping power” you bring to bear on the bad guy, no one ever ended a gunfight wishing they hadn’t carried so many bullets.

Again, I get it! Remember what I said above about incredible accuracy? Shot placement!

Even so, it’s really hard to hit a moving target, especially when you’re moving (never a completely terrible idea in a gunfight). So no matter how good your 1911, no matter how great a marksman you are or how much you resemble Dirty Harry in a life-or-death confrontation, you want to maximize your odds of stopping the threat or — and this is important — threats.

It’s simple math folks. A gun loaded with eight or nine rounds gives you less of a chance of hitting your target than a gun loaded with 15 or 16. And don’t give me that “most gunfights involve three shots at three yards in three seconds.” I’m sure most cars don’t need to overtake a slow moving truck in a matter of a few seconds either, but I prefer having one that can.

3. 1911’s are dangerous!

BACK OFF! I know you’re completely safe with your 1911. You never EVER put your finger on the trigger until your sights are on target. And of course you’ve survived a defensive gun use and/or done force-on-force training with your 1911. So you KNOW your trigger finger will remain off the trigger even the highest of high stress situations.

Which is REALLY important, given that your fingers lose sensation during an adrenalin dump as the blood rushes away from your extremities. Not to mention the prospect of sympathetic squeeze (squeezing one hand automatically when you squeeze the other) or plain old sympathetic fire (shooting at something because someone else is shooting at something).

Besides, your 1911 has a frame-mounted safety! Which you will for sureswitch off when your sights are on a person or persons posing an imminent, credible threat of grievous bodily harm or death. Because NOT switching off the safety could be extremely dangerous to your health. And you’re an expert! So don’t pay the slightest bit of attention to this object or, come to think of it, the previous two.

As for the rest of you, a final piece of advice: know that 1911’s are a weighty subject. Become an expert before you carry one. That is all.

This from a blog site that one of their "writers" J Law went on ad nauseam about modding the hell out of his GLOCK41 .45Auto LONG SLIDE, then called it his perfect sidearm while showing pics of how he pocket holstered it in a police duty Safariland Level III holster from which he removed the belt loops, then added an Aimpoint Micro T-1 RDS and HE CALLED IT A POCKET CARRY GUN!!!!!!!

Idiots abound at TTAG

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/daniel-zimmerman/glock-41-became-perfect-sidearm-now-2/

Last edited:
While not exactly a 1911, it's a handful of 45acp.

Just sayin'

Pis6f3d.jpg

I admit that I shoot a lot of pistol caliber bullets other than 45acp. In honesty, I would say that I shoot four to one 9mm than I do everything else including 38, 357, 40, and a few others, but you wanna know something?

I keep a 45acp within arms length of me the majority of my waking moments. And sleeping moments for that matter. If I'm going to be forced to defend myself, I like lobbing the biggest, heaviest artillery that I can.

If I could carry a repeating black powder bowling ball cannon on me, I would. That's just how I feel about it.

I think I'm going to write an article.

Three reasons why I carry a 45acp. And my bullet points are going to be:

1. I'm not a weak pussy
  2. I don't worry about magazine capacity because I'm pretty good at mag changes
  3. Because 45acp is dangerous. Well duh, that's exactly why I want it.

I have read this multiple times and fail to see the humor.

As far as I can tell he is spot on about the 1911.

Ok, on point 1. They’re heavy. It’s actually negligible vs some other common carry guns. But, if we get into they’re heavy vs more modern subcompact single stacks, I’d make that concession, that they’re only heavy in comparing them that way.

On point 2. They’re low capacity. Dovetailed into point #1, not vs modern subcompact (and wildly popular) single stacks. I don’t have to name any here because they’re everywhere except to say that they’re among the most popular firearms out there.

And finally on point 3. They’re dangerous? Why because they have a manual safety? Like no one ever before now has ever trained to use a manual safety? If one is using a proper grip, your thumb is already riding the ledge of the safety on the draw. My concession is this, absolutely practice. Hitting the safety on the draw should be happening without thinking about it. Now to the authors comments about leaving your finger off the trigger (which sounds very tongue in cheek), I fail to see how that concern is unique to a 1911 unless I missed something. So following the reasoning, how is any other firearm any better because at that point he’s not even dealing with the specific mechanics of a 1911 but human physiology. Which means the firearm is irrelevant.

In conclusion, I thoroughly disagree except the part about being an expert with your firearm. Like he should have just used that for the article and it could have been copied and pasted for any other article about any other pistol. It could have just said “hey, guns are dangerous, be an expert”. That is all.

Last edited:
I walked about 4 miles or so yesterday through an open air and outdoor flea market. The whole time I carried my 1911 in the AIWB position. At no point was it uncomfortable due to the weight, I didn’t need a belt capable of lifting an aircraft carrier to keep my pants up or keep the firearm from rolling out. Ammo capacity was identical to anyone there carrying something like a Glock 43, or an honor defense honor guard 9, a smith and Wesson m&p shield 2.0, or the extremely popular Sig 938, even a Kimber Micro 9 or .380.

The game changer would be if Sig could get everything worked out with the 365 and have a package the same size as the G43 but with a magazine of 12 rounds.

I walked about 4 miles or so yesterday through an open air and outdoor flea market. The whole time I carried my 1911 in the AIWB position. At no point was it uncomfortable due to the weight, I didn’t need a belt capable of lifting an aircraft carrier to keep my pants up or keep the firearm from rolling out. Ammo capacity was identical to anyone there carrying something like a Glock 43, or an honor defense honor guard 9, a smith and Wesson m&p shield 2.0, or the extremely popular Sig 938, even a Kimber Micro 9 or .380.

The game changer would be if Sig could get everything worked out with the 365 and have a package the same size as the G43 but with a magazine of 12 rounds.
With all due respect sir, this is the internet, factual information from actual personal knowledge is irrelevant to most ! More interested in what "they" said about what "they" heard :/

Back