• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AXe Project

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Didnt want to clog @nitesite ax thread so im post this seperate. So following the axes/machete thread got me on the axe kick, i now own a couple i actually like. The one i had I purely despised, it was ugly uncomfortable and sharp as a rusty spoon. It was a Collins Axe Co. Fiber handled thing from Ace hardware. It hurt my hands and my feelings. Having aquired a couple nice axes it was destined for a new home. BUT then i saw on one of the Alaska shows the fella broke his axe handle and set about carving a new one in the woods to carry on. Hmmmm i thought ya know folks usef to make they own didnt have em at the store like today??? Would I could I ?? So first drill and remove that yellow atrocity, clean head see if it will take an edge.. Yup its hair poppin sharp now and now add some patina. To the real work, handle time. Im not crafty folks i got basic all around country boy skills but fine @ripjack13 like wood skills uhuh nope. I looked thru wood supply found walnut trunk seemed ok, not typical axe material from reading but acceptable old timers used what they had were they were. I wanted to use hand tools such as maybe id have in field. So grabbed big Rowan small Rowan and hatchet. Well winner of the group was the Esse 6 (which till now ive found heavy bulky and useless) it excels in handle making. Never used the others just the 6 and a piece of wood. Disclaimer I am not a bushcrafter or prepper or whatever the new secret special word of the week is, im a basic country boy who likes to know stuff has a couple skills and be self sufficient and its been that way for generations hence were still here irregardless of whats cool. Ok pics here yall decide, not bad first try in my book, it works. May sand abit and lindseed. I did have to grab hand saw to cut slot, and i also used farrier rasp(you should get one) a little bit. 20181018_092742_HDR-1.jpg 20181018_093226_HDR.jpg

DJ... WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!

I really love the photos and the full story. It brought a smile.

The early settlers and adventurers (conquerers) and colonists brought axe heads by the box full over to the New World and then made their own handles when they landed and had a source for wood. So you have a kinship with our forefathers.

DJ, that came out great. I like the process of it. I can't wait to see the next one.
After you apply a few dozen coats of linseed oil, that's going to look nice....
Good job sir....

:perfect:

No critique, and the one question I had about the mustard has already been answered.

Awesome job, love diy stuff like this. I am always on the lookout for new skills as well. My grandfather was the king of rebuilding and repurposing. Something that is becomming more and more lost with each generation.

Yeah, I didn't know what the mustard was for either. glad you shared it with me.

I wonder what it would do to a gun barrel?

Ok update on ole ugly handle, it works ! Lol
I had cut a hickory tree awhile back and sliced some rounds for smokin chunks. Decided to make some this evening. So i broke out ole ugly since thats not to difficult task, i hatchet bark off then spilt it up with ax. I decided to split a couple decent sizr 20181119_170343-1.jpg hickory logs while i was at it all good in the hood. Im kinda pleased had the yellow thing ax i wanted to throw away and now i actually like using it, simply it has a purpose now :)

I have some pieces of an old apple tree that fell in a storm under the weight of a full load at our old place. I put some of it in a smoker and it's so dry that it's usually gone within about 30 minutes.

Apple wood smoke is pretty good too. Especially when smoking full chickens. Yum.

Im smokin some ribs right now while i work. Half chimney charcoal and two hickory chunks its been goin since 3pm look close youll see the chunks on top still smokin away im running exactly 230 degrees. 20181119_171651.jpg

Back