• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tips on recovering a stolen firearm? (Mossberg 702)

Isaac22lr

.22LR
Hi everyone, I recently had my Mossberg 702 Plinkster stolen from my property in south carolina. Even though it's only a $120 gun, it's still very upsetting as it was a christmas gift from my parents, and my first, and most used rifle.

I was wondering if any of you ever had any firearms stolen, and if you ever got them back, and if so, how did you go about it? I reported it stolen immediately to the police, but they did nothing, literally nothing.

Also sucks because I had a flashlight mounted, and two 25 round magazines, (which I spent $28 on) with it.

I also reported it stolen on hotgunz (not sure if I'm allowed to include links here)

Anyways, if you have any tips, please let me know, thanks.

God bless,
Isaac.

Were you able to provide to your police the s/n for the stolen firearm?

Why do you think that your local police did nothing, literally nothing?

Am I allowed to post the hotgunz link here?

@Isaac22lr
The forum rules are at:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/forum-rules-and-guidelines.11727/

One mention of "links" reads:
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

I expect hotgunz would not violate that, but read the whole page to make sure.
I personally would like to see info about the service. If hotgunz fits the criteria of the rules, go for it.

@Isaac22lr
The forum rules are at:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/forum-rules-and-guidelines.11727/

One mention of "links" reads:
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

I expect hotgunz would not violate that, but read the whole page to make sure.
I personally would like to see info about the service. If hotgunz fits the criteria of the rules, go for it.

You can view the link for it here, www.hotgunz.com/serial-EPD4183081.html

You can find the serial number there as well, I guess it's better than nothing, I always search used firearms I buy, on there first.

Last edited:
Make sure that you ask the police to include the serial number in the national stolen gun database. That's about the only way you'll get it back if/when it is recovered.

You need to check with them periodically, and to keep your contact information current so they can return it to you. If you move and change phone numbers, there will be no way they can do that.

Thankfully, I've never had a gun stolen, but I do know a few that have. Some have been used in crimes, and consequently have been kept for very long term in evidence rooms, and I had one friend near Atlanta who had a glock that they used "super glue" or whatever it is they use to lift fingerprints all over the gun. I don't know if he even tried to salvage it or not.

Anyway, check with your police and ask them to include it in the database.

Here's probably the best place that I know to run a serial number to see if it's stolen. I truly wish mere civilians could use the stolen gun database, but we cant'. Even gun dealers, who rightfully should be allowed to use it aren't. So, even if you buy a gun from a dealer legally and do everything you're supposed to do, there is no guarantee that it's not been reported stolen at one point in time.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/restricted/PAS/StolenGun.jsf

Make sure that you ask the police to include the serial number in the national stolen gun database. That's about the only way you'll get it back if/when it is recovered.

You need to check with them periodically, and to keep your contact information current so they can return it to you. If you move and change phone numbers, there will be no way they can do that.

Thankfully, I've never had a gun stolen, but I do know a few that have. Some have been used in crimes, and consequently have been kept for very long term in evidence rooms, and I had one friend near Atlanta who had a glock that they used "super glue" or whatever it is they use to lift fingerprints all over the gun. I don't know if he even tried to salvage it or not.

Anyway, check with your police and ask them to include it in the database.

Here's probably the best place that I know to run a serial number to see if it's stolen. I truly wish mere civilians could use the stolen gun database, but we cant'. Even gun dealers, who rightfully should be allowed to use it aren't. So, even if you buy a gun from a dealer legally and do everything you're supposed to do, there is no guarantee that it's not been reported stolen at one point in time.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/restricted/PAS/StolenGun.jsf

Thank you for the information. I know I probably won't but I really hope I get my plinkster back, had at least 4,000 rounds through it.

Not to make light of your plight but... the best way to get your Plinky back is to buy ANOTHER one! :D

Meaning that Murphy's Law will dictate that once you have the replacement, your old gun will turn up! :)

Not to make light of your plight but... the best way to get your Plinky back is to buy ANOTHER one! :D

Meaning that Murphy's Law will dictate that once you have the replacement, your old gun will turn up! :)

Haha, I was actually planning on replacing it with a Ruger 10/22. would that still count?

Ive seen people who on theyre own provided list of stolen firearms to local pawn shops and gun dealers as well as any local online firearm outdoor forums. I know of two who actually had success eventually both were via pawn shops. Firearms recovered investigations insued no one ever charged but at least recovered.

Ive seen people who on theyre own provided list of stolen firearms to local pawn shops and gun dealers as well as any local online firearm outdoor forums. I know of two who actually had success eventually both were via pawn shops. Firearms recovered investigations insued no one ever charged but at least recovered.

I actually went to about 4 local pawn shops, within my town. But didn’t go any further out. Left phone number, and serial number.

Thanks for the info! Definitely hoping the guy who stole it decides to pawn it, haha.

I actually went to about 4 local pawn shops, within my town. But didn’t go any further out. Left phone number, and serial number.

Thanks for the info! Definitely hoping the guy who stole it decides to pawn it, haha.
Odds are they wont pawn they will probably sell or trade to someone else who will then do same then... Ends up pawned after "washed" a few times.

Shouldn’t just reported it stolen means that a gun shop would seize it or something?
Each state diff here there is a 3 day hold on firearm and leo report for ncic serial check for when they purchase used guns, BUT what ACTUALLY happens at the shadier establishments is questionable to include folks making purchase with personal funds and item going straight to the car etc.... It happens.

Shouldn’t just reported it stolen means that a gun shop would seize it or something?

A gun or pawn shop can't seize someone elses property, even if someone told them it was stolen. That would open them up to all sorts of bad legal voodoo.

A gun shop would never knowingly BUY a stolen gun because they'd be out money and have to return the gun once there was a police report laying on their glass case in front of the cash register. Best they'll do is decline to buy it from them and with any luck, report the information to the police.

Where I live, if you take a gun to a pawn shop, they call the city police dept and ask if the serial number is reported stolen prior to buying it. If no, they'll buy, and if yes, they'll ask the police while they're on the phone if they want to come talk to whoever is pawning it. Maybe they will, maybe the won't depending on a lot of things. Mainly if they have someone who has the time to drive over there because there is typically only one or two on patrol at any given time.

But no, they can't just keep the gun from whoever brought it in to them.

Back