• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Iron sights

lonestarjeff

Supporter
Spent a little time over on the 464 forum the last couple of years, but I just ordered a 30-06 Patriot with iron sights which brings me over here. I'm a fan of the older calibers, plus we have wild hogs invading lately....okay, the truth is I've never owned a bolt gun(unless you count my dad's old Mossy 12ga)& the patriot looks like the best value out there(we really do have hogs invading, though).

Can't wait to get it in my hands & out to the range. I have a couple of suitable scopes for it, but I am attracted to the looks of the old iron sights on a bolt gun(amazing how few models come with'em anymore). Having said that, my eyes aren't what they used to be & I found installing a peep sight on my 464 a good choice for short range brush hunting. I was wondering if anyone has tried installing a peep on their Patriot? Are the iron sights models predrilled & tapped for scope mounts also?

Jeff

P.S. Here's the peep on my 464....

rs3qxtj.jpg

My 30-06 patriot arrived & it's a really a great looker. I put a basic GI-type cotton web sling on it & can't wait to take out to the farm. I may rethink the peep sight idea because I like the set of Williams iron sights way more than I expected. We'll see if I still do at 50 & 100yds.

ZliYAiI.jpg

1kIGB4F.jpg

....also, Mossberg does drill & tap the iron sight model of the Patriot.

Still considering a peep for the Patriot, even though the Williams open U-sight looks pretty good to my eye. From what I can pickup on previous posts the hole spacing for the Patriot's scope mounts is patterned on the Remington 700. Not certain about the receiver top radius or the height matching up properly with the front firesight, though. I may order a Williams WGRS-700 & see how it goes.

https://williamsgunsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1451-2-300x300.jpg

1451-2-300x300.jpg

firesight-rifle-beads2-300x300.jpg
Ordered the Williams Peep from Midway(they just got some in), & a Fire Sight hood for the front site(not certain it will fit, but it's supposed to be a press fit).

I've been back on the range a couple of times since my last post, but still haven't had time to set a proper bench rest. I bought the rifle to basically stay in "guide" form, but I have to admit shooting it with a scope is a bit addictive. I actually installed the same scope in a lower profile set of quick-detach rings the last time out. I was surprised after setting the scope on it in those new rings the POI at 100yds was within 4" of the last setup. One adjustment & I was back on zero.

I've just put a Williams peep sight on my Marlin 1894, but I'm not sure how my eyes are going to cope...
Since I bought the rifle in the late 90's, its always had a red-dot or scope on it, but this summer my club ran a comp for U/L rifles, with iron sights only, so i took the scope rail off and used the factory irons, with limited success...

So I bought a peep sight... but once I'd fitted it, looking through the aperture things were very blurry.. i was convinced there was something stuck in the back of the aperture, but no...
I haven't taken it down the range yet, so things may improve in better light and looking at a target, but I'm not convinced..

I've just put a Williams peep sight on my Marlin 1894, but I'm not sure how my eyes are going to cope...
Since I bought the rifle in the late 90's, its always had a red-dot or scope on it, but this summer my club ran a comp for U/L rifles, with iron sights only, so i took the scope rail off and used the factory irons, with limited success...

So I bought a peep sight... but once I'd fitted it, looking through the aperture things were very blurry.. i was convinced there was something stuck in the back of the aperture, but no...
I haven't taken it down the range yet, so things may improve in better light and looking at a target, but I'm not convinced..

If your eyes are like mine, don't hold out much hope for the blur to clear up :-(

....but I installed the peep because it's easier for me to sight than a buckhorn or "U"- or "V"-sight. Plus, a scope is harder to manage when carrying the rifle around from the truck, tractor, Mule, etc.....kind of my inexpensive version of a safari guide gun.

I like what I see in the pics. An ought 6 is a caliber I have wanted for a long time. The Patriot might just be the ticket.

I like what I see in the pics. An ought 6 is a caliber I have wanted for a long time. The Patriot might just be the ticket.
The 30-06 is a great shooter. I added a limbsaver for some extra LOP, but it makes my 30-30 464 feel harsh(it has a limbsaver too).

firesight-rifle-beads2-300x300.jpg
Ordered the Williams Peep from Midway(they just got some in), & a Fire Sight hood for the front site(not certain it will fit, but it's supposed to be a press fit).

The firesight on the Patriot is a standard Williams ramped sight, but not their model designed for the press-fit hood. I tried hand filing grooves along each side, then a touch of super glue to hold the hood, but the first sharp blow popped the hood off.

In order to use the Williams hood you have to install their "streamlined" series front sight base, then add your choice of dovetail sight on top of that, then press-fit the hood. That's all well & good, but there's a couple of problems.....I couldn't see one of the "streamlined" models designed to fit the Patriot barrel....also, all the parts start to add up to more expense than I had in mind for a truck gun.

So, it was dremel to the rescue. About 5 minutes & some care made a really tight press fit with the Williams $10 hood. Not near as pretty as the streamlined, but it was cheap & works well with the peep. We'll see how it holds up in the field.

Back