• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magazine spring

mike79

Copper BB
Hey guys, first post here. Enjoy the site, lots of good info to read up on and I have a question about the wolff magazine spring on my 930 spx that I just installed.

In my search before this post I noticed 28" seems to be the number to trim the spring to so thats what I did. I loaded up a full mag of Winchester 2 3/4 hollow point slugs and it wouldn't load the first round. So I pulled out the shell stop and polished it up, helped slightly but still wasn't anywhere reliable loading. I kept trimming the spring down to 24 1/2" long, it seemed to be better but only 1 out of 5 hand cycles it would load the first round. So I pulled out another box of slugs I had that are Federal 2 3/4 slugs and they are a little over 1/16 of an inch shorter than the Winchesters I was trimming the spring to and over 7 rds that close to 1/2 of spring less thats its compressing compared to the Winchesters. It will hand cycle the Federals just fine as well as some Remington 00 that I have also.

My question is should I keep trimming till I can get the winchesters to hand cycle reliably or just not use that ammo? I would like for this gun to run anything but I dont want to keep trimming the spring too much as I'm already shorter than what the other guys seem to run here. Thanks for any insight.

Winchester shells aren't exactly known as some of the better ones out there anymore these days. I like Rem and Fed a lot better.

With that said, it may also have a little to do with shooting the semi is going to be a lot more forceful than hand cycling them too.

Stop and shoot the gun and let it tell you if you need to do something else. I'm going to assume that the action spring is fine and cycles everything (high and low brass). If it doesn't, it may not be the magazine spring that you need to be fooling with.

Welcome, Mike, to Mossberg Owners from E TN. Glad to have you join in the discussions.

license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Thanks Scoop, I appreciate that.

And to reply to John A., I haven't fired the gun yet so I don't know if it cycles any rds to be honest. I recently bought the gun new, brought it home and tore it down to clean it. While re-assembling the stock magazine spring was so long I bent it trying to get it back into the tube, hence the reason for the purchase of a wolff spring. I will take it to the range and see how it runs before anymore trimming, I just wish I would of realized the Winchester slugs were long compared to my other Federal slugs before I trimmed the spring down that short.

Back