• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg MVP Bolt Action Troubleshooting

I also own a Patrol in 5.56 and had the same mag wobble. I have tried various mags from H&K, PMags and GI 20 rds, of which I have a bucket full. The only problem I have had with feeds is occasional failure to pick up a round on the GI (Colt and Adventure). I treated a dozen GI 20s to replacement springs (Brownells) and tried their plastic followers (more prone to 'tip' jams than the ally originals). I also dressed down the front edge of the GI mags because of the occasional jamming of the round going forward. Cured.

The aluminum tromix magwell solved my mag wobble issues. Between the sloppy magwell, and minute of softball accuracy using 5.56 ammo I don't have high hopes.
I have changed the scope rings to mid height ring.. I had to take the rear iron sight apart in order to do so. This in hopes I get a better cheek weld when sighting it in.

I shall look out for that replacement magwell. I dont understand why they diddnt find a way to incorporate an extended well, that would have stopped any wobble. Certainly the rear third of the mag profile could have been extended a little.

The aluminum tromix magwell solved my mag wobble issues. Between the sloppy magwell, and minute of softball accuracy using 5.56 ammo I don't have high hopes.
I have changed the scope rings to mid height ring.. I had to take the rear iron sight apart in order to do so. This in hopes I get a better cheek weld when sighting it in.
I have the 308 Scout what I have found with many scopes that I don't mount myself is. The first thing was the front ring was not even hand tight. So that left me to to assume that the rest of the scope parts would be lost and yes they where 3 out 4 loss and no loctite. After removed and cleaned everything I torqued rail down while recounting the scope booth ring where loss on the scope so the left 12 out of 14 screws loss. I will bet they didn't check the base.

The P-mag that came with the gun had a way to strong of a spring I had to cut a few loops out so you could work the bolt.

I think my biggest problem with Mossberg is their lying. I sent mine in for a failure to fire trigger issue 2 years ago. They sent it back saying they had changed the trigger and safety button and it passed every test. I got it back, MVP LR in .308 by the way, doing exactly what I had sent it in for. Contacted Mossberg they said they were preparing to do a trigger redesign but didn't have any of the new triggers in yet. Two years later I got tired of the rifle sitting in my safe contacted Mossberg and this time was told...Lie 1. They never had a trigger problem. Lie 2. They didn't change any parts on my rifle when it sent it in. It passed all tests and was returned. And the most ridiculous statement they made... I "must be pulling sideways on the trigger and that's why it's failing to fire". "The trigger has that characteristic and many people have that problem". (Funny they didn't mention that 2 years earlier when they said they changed it and were redesigning a new one.) Their most helpful recommendation was to try a drop in after-market trigger to see if that fixes the problem (you know, the problem they weren't having). The real irony is Mossberg is suing 12 drop in trigger companies over trigger patent infringement rights but they're telling me to try one from a company they're suing. Mossberg, if your going to tell me after 45 years of shooting that I don't know how to pull a trigger, do it when I send the rifle in for the first time. Don't wait 2-1/2 years during my third contact with you. And maybe it's just me but if a number of people are having the same inability to "pull the trigger correctly" then maybe the problem really is yours and not ours. If it only works a certain way.....IT DOESN"T WORK!

stampeed Valkyrie It sounded just like Mossberg to say you should be getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards, have you send it in, do nothing and then respond...Good morning Robert, I was able to have the service mount a scope, test fire the gun again, and myself and the engineering department have reviewed the target. The rifle was tested with 5.56 55 grain rounds and the results produced very good grouping. With 1" groupings at 50 yards you would logically expect 2" grouping at 100 yards, but 5.56 ammunition is typically not very accurate ammunition and without the engineering department knowing the exact specifications of the ammunition you were using it would be hard to say the expected accuracy with these individual brands and grains. (Wouldn't you expect them to use whatever ammo they had too, to get the 1 inch group at 100 yards they promised. Not send it back and blame the ammo? Amazing they're still in business).

Last edited:
I have recently purchased an MVP Predator. Have a problem though. The magazine (factory 10 rd & 20 rd AR mags) rock fore and aft when inserted into the mag well. If the mag rocks to the rear the mag stops the bolt from stripping a round. The pickup on the bolt contacts the magazine.

I called Mossberg & the person I talked to said he never heard of this & would send me a return address label to ship in for "repairs" So far nothing , he was blowing smoke. Been a month.

If this can be corrected the rifle will be perfect for my needs.

I have the MVP in .223/5.56 and the MVP FLEX in 308. The MVP 223 is excellent. Magazine looseness is something I expected but I found the "Stoner" brand fit the best. Sloppy magazine fit is a common complaint regarding the MVP. Moosberg should have worked this problem out by now.
My 308 continues to be a disappointment. My points of frustration are the FLEX stock system, and the trigger. I bought the 308 because the 223 proved to be the ideal rifle design platform for me. .308 is my favorite cartridge. I bought the rifle with the flex system planning to buy a factory wood stock. I contacted Mossberg and was informed they did not sell the wood stocks. I bought a Boyd's stock but it doesn't fit very well and will require bedding.
Initially the bolt was very tight in closing on chambering several brands of factory ammunition. The trigger was very inconsistent and unsafe. The trigger would pull normally but sometimes failed to fire until released.
I sent the rifle to Mossberg for corrective action. The rifle was returned within about 6 weeks. The bolt or possibly just the bolt handle was replaced, the trigger replaced, and the chambering problem was corrected. Now, the trigger pull, is still very inconsistent but, I have not had it fire after it trips and releasing it after failing to fire. Sometimes it requires just a few ounces of pull and other times the trigger pull is very difficult. The Flex stock has released a couple of times really nailing me with the scope. Even in a 308 it is a pretty good wallop to the face and eye.
I did not get this rifle at a bargain price. The dealer assured me I could buy a wood stock from the factory. Mossberg customer service has been satisfactory. The second customer service rep told me I could buy a wood stock directly from the factory. The bottom line is I still do not have a rifle I can hunt with.
In spite of this the rifle is very accurate, shooting consistent groups averaging less than 1" at 100 yards when shooting from the bench. I really like the short medium weight barrel.
When I sent the rifle to Mossberg, I fully expected it to be returned with all the bugs ironed out and made to be safe. I did not and do not expect it to shoot like a super expensive custom rifle. It is as accurate as any rifle can be expected to be. I am disappointed in Mossberg's Quality Control especially with a returned product. I am returning this rifle to them again.

I have the MVP in .223/5.56 and the MVP FLEX in 308. The MVP 223 is excellent. Magazine looseness is something I expected but I found the "Stoner" brand fit the best. Sloppy magazine fit is a common complaint regarding the MVP. Moosberg should have worked this problem out by now.
My 308 continues to be a disappointment. My points of frustration are the FLEX stock system, and the trigger. I bought the 308 because the 223 proved to be the ideal rifle design platform for me. .308 is my favorite cartridge. I bought the rifle with the flex system planning to buy a factory wood stock. I contacted Mossberg and was informed they did not sell the wood stocks. I bought a Boyd's stock but it doesn't fit very well and will require bedding.
Initially the bolt was very tight in closing on chambering several brands of factory ammunition. The trigger was very inconsistent and unsafe. The trigger would pull normally but sometimes failed to fire until released.
I sent the rifle to Mossberg for corrective action. The rifle was returned within about 6 weeks. The bolt or possibly just the bolt handle was replaced, the trigger replaced, and the chambering problem was corrected. Now, the trigger pull, is still very inconsistent but, I have not had it fire after it trips and releasing it after failing to fire. Sometimes it requires just a few ounces of pull and other times the trigger pull is very difficult. The Flex stock has released a couple of times really nailing me with the scope. Even in a 308 it is a pretty good wallop to the face and eye.
I did not get this rifle at a bargain price. The dealer assured me I could buy a wood stock from the factory. Mossberg customer service has been satisfactory. The second customer service rep told me I could buy a wood stock directly from the factory. The bottom line is I still do not have a rifle I can hunt with.
In spite of this the rifle is very accurate, shooting consistent groups averaging less than 1" at 100 yards when shooting from the bench. I really like the short medium weight barrel.
When I sent the rifle to Mossberg, I fully expected it to be returned with all the bugs ironed out and made to be safe. I did not and do not expect it to shoot like a super expensive custom rifle. It is as accurate as any rifle can be expected to be. I am disappointed in Mossberg's Quality Control and the inconsistencies in their customer service representatives especially, with a returned product. I am returning this rifle to them again.

I think my biggest problem with Mossberg is their lying. I sent mine in for a failure to fire trigger issue 2 years ago. They sent it back saying they had changed the trigger and safety button and it passed every test. I got it back, MVP LR in .308 by the way, doing exactly what I had sent it in for. Contacted Mossberg they said they were preparing to do a trigger redesign but didn't have any of the new triggers in yet. Two years later I got tired of the rifle sitting in my safe contacted Mossberg and this time was told...Lie 1. They never had a trigger problem. Lie 2. They didn't change any parts on my rifle when it sent it in. It passed all tests and was returned. And the most ridiculous statement they made... I "must be pulling sideways on the trigger and that's why it's failing to fire". "The trigger has that characteristic and many people have that problem". (Funny they didn't mention that 2 years earlier when they said they changed it and were redesigning a new one.) Their most helpful recommendation was to try a drop in after-market trigger to see if that fixes the problem (you know, the problem they weren't having). The real irony is Mossberg is suing 12 drop in trigger companies over trigger patent infringement rights but they're telling me to try one from a company they're suing. Mossberg, if your going to tell me after 45 years of shooting that I don't know how to pull a trigger, do it when I send the rifle in for the first time. Don't wait 2-1/2 years during my third contact with you. And maybe it's just me but if a number of people are having the same inability to "pull the trigger correctly" then maybe the problem really is yours and not ours. If it only works a certain way.....IT DOESN"T WORK!

stampeed Valkyrie It sounded just like Mossberg to say you should be getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards, have you send it in, do nothing and then respond...Good morning Robert, I was able to have the service mount a scope, test fire the gun again, and myself and the engineering department have reviewed the target. The rifle was tested with 5.56 55 grain rounds and the results produced very good grouping. With 1" groupings at 50 yards you would logically expect 2" grouping at 100 yards, but 5.56 ammunition is typically not very accurate ammunition and without the engineering department knowing the exact specifications of the ammunition you were using it would be hard to say the expected accuracy with these individual brands and grains. (Wouldn't you expect them to use whatever ammo they had too, to get the 1 inch group at 100 yards they promised. Not send it back and blame the ammo? Amazing they're still in business).

I'm having the same run around with a MVP 308. The trigger is inconsistent. I've been pulling triggers for 60 years. Mossberg is getting their rifle back again!

I mentioned in another post I swapped in a Timney trigger and took it to a gunsmith, who hundreds of dollars later had it functioning correctly. I put a box of shells through it, cleaned it and took it straight to my LGS to sell on consignment. Unlike Mossberg, I won't sell a rifle that doesn't work and blame you for pulling the trigger wrong. I'll have to remember that one. No officer, I wasn't speeding. I just stepped on the gas pedal wrong. Happens to a lot of experienced drivers. But I have learned one really valuable lesson before buying another rifle. Check reviews, forums and call customer service. If you have to leave a number and they never call back.....move on.

My Mossberg MVP Flex 308 fails to meet the manufacturer's advertised claims and my basic reasonable expectations.
Mossberg really missed capturing the market with potentially a truly handy rifle. I can make it work properly and safely. My doing so will void their warranty.
The MVP Predator 223 I purchased first is remarkable. It came with a "Dead Ringer" scope but I never even tried it out. I put a Leupold 2-7x33 compact and have no complaints. I did have to experiment with the magazines and modified the magazine release.
Mossberg will get the 308 again. This time they fix it to my specs or they keep it. I'll not pawn it off to someone else.

This isn't boding well.... I've got an order in for a MVP Varmint .223 with my RFD..
I'd seen the issues with the wobbly mags, and some solutions on YouTube, and i was happy to take a risk... but if there are also problems with the trigger, that may take more than a simple fix to resolve...

I have the MVP Predator in .223/5.56 with the laminated stock. I have no complaint with the trigger on this rifle. The bolt travel is gritty and rough but function and accuracy are fine. It does not shoot the Barnes 72 grain bullets but shoots the 62 grain Barnes very nicely. I mostly shoot various 55 grain bullets. All of them tested group well.
I bought the MVP because of the magazine interchangeability with AR mags and short barrel for coyote hunting from a blind. I did not want to beat up my, like new, Remington Classic in .223 with it's longer barrel in a blind. I will say, the Mossberg MVP Predator is as accurate as the Remington Classic at every range tested.
A friend just bought a Ruger that takes AR magazines. I haven't checked it out yet.
Good luck in making your decision.

This isn't boding well.... I've got an order in for a MVP Varmint .223 with my RFD..
I'd seen the issues with the wobbly mags, and some solutions on YouTube, and i was happy to take a risk... but if there are also problems with the trigger, that may take more than a simple fix to resolve...

You shouldn't have to resolve anything with a new quality built rifle. You have seen the red flags, you know what your getting into, so I would advise doing the smart thing. Buy a Remington, Savage, Ruger or whatever, but you have been warned about the Mossberg's.

And TSDD989 fixing your rifle will void the warranty? What warranty? The one where you ship it back to them and they send it back in the same condition telling you it passed all tests? I'm sure having my gunsmith actually fix Mossberg's rifle "voided their warranty". But it works now, where from Mossberg.....it never did. Be sure to tell "Joe Zakher" at Mossberg hello for me.

I have come to the conclusion that after they lied all these years Mossberg cannot admit there is a problem with their triggers or bolts because A. they would have to do a recall to fix them all, B. they would have to admit they have been lying for years, C. they would need to do the right thing. And that's just never gonna happen.

Some have problems with the 7.62 and some have problems with the .223's. Others don't, but had I known almost 3 years ago what I know now, I would have never wasted my time or money on a Mossberg. What really surprises me is you would think someone from Mossberg would be looking on line for feedback on their rifles from forums like these, but apparently not. I guess they just take "Joe's" word for it, in customer service, when he tells them they only repaired three rifles this week. Guess he doesn't tell them he sent back 30 that they didn't repair that had "passed all tests", whether they work or not. Anyway, I'm getting this out of my watched posts, every time I see one of these Mossberg lied texts it just makes me mad all over again. Shoot straight and stay safe.

Last edited:
Hi can anybody tell me why the .308 bolt has the extra bit hanging of the side?

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 1
Back