• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Burying firearms

Tom396

.30-06
I know. Tin foil over reach. Especially since I live in one of those states where widespread firearm confiscation is a very long shot.

However, has anyone here seriously looked into the details of long term burying of firearms and ammunition? Take care. Tom Worthington

I’ve done a bit of reading on it but never experimented. I’d hate to find out the hard way that my ideas were shite!! Lol

However, like Bobster said the PVC is a good place to start I think. I’ve read about vac sealing survival gear in PVC as well as
using desiccant material to absorb any ambient moisture or greasing the crap out of metal objects and then vac sealing them...etc.

Edit:
Come to think of it, I believe I read about some type of sealable bag that also had desiccant properties or something like that. I’ll try and find it again.

I don't know about burying guns. Hiding things of value or importance on the other hand, I can understand that I suppose.

sealed pvc pipe with an extra coat of flex seal around the caps should about do it. Perhaps placed in an old forgotten and abandoned coal mine from 100 years ago. ;)

Glass jars also do really well and glass will last about a million years if nothing breaks it. The lid however, would be the weak spot. I wish I could find a company that makes glass jars and threaded glass lids for them. Now that would be the cats' meow along with some sealant. You wouldn't have to really worry about rubber degradation like you do with ammo can seals, which so far often work for about 40 or 50 years.

3 years from now when you need it, you'll dig it up and it'll look like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know about burying guns. Hiding things of value or importance on the other hand, I can understand that I suppose.

sealed pvc pipe with an extra coat of flex seal around the caps should about do it. Perhaps placed in an old forgotten and abandoned coal mine from 100 years ago. ;)

Glass jars also do really well and glass will last about a million years if nothing breaks it. The lid however, would be the weak spot. I wish I could find a company that makes glass jars and threaded glass lids for them. Now that would be the cats' meow along with some sealant. You wouldn't have to really worry about rubber degradation like you do with ammo can seals, which so far often work for about 40 or 50 years.

In case of tyrants, break open glass.

I like it!

A coworker said he actually got a "kit" from the NRA for burying firearms. Hmmm. Take care. Tom Worthington

I've also heard rumor that they're telling people not to turn in their bump stocks, despite the NRA heads supporting a ban on them. Go figure.

I guess if I were to do it, I'd probably put them in a silicone soaked gun sock, inside a mylar bag, with desiccant packs and oxygen absorbers, then heat sealed. And then inside a PVC or other plastic tube. Even if you weren't burying them, it would be a good way to store them in non climate controlled environment. Maybe in a hollowed out tree, or abandon building.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Yep we have a lot of caves and overhangs here too. We also have a lot of abandoned coal mines.

Dept of Mines and Minerals have sealed up many of the ones they know about. But there were literally dozens of mines opened up in the late 1800's and early 1900's that were closed decades before the state got involved with any of that they don't know about.

I know of a specific one that you would have a hard time finding even if I told you were it was at. It's that well hidden and off the beaten path. And usually grown up so much around it that you could be 50 feet away from it and not see it.

Granted it's also not much taller than the seam of coal itself too and is about 20 inches in height and 4 feet in width at the opening. Once you get inside, the mountain is only supported by old locust logs spaced out every few feet from each other. It doesn't go back in there very far (at least that a human can fit) but it stays bone dry year round. It's so dry that even the locust logs have turned baby powder white and are brittle as they can be.

I would shoot for some sort of vacuum in that tube. Probably some sort of valve that can be put in an end cap that can be hooked to a vacuum pump . Im a big believer in vacuum environment

I've tried those vacuum sealed bags and stuff. Even double and triple sealing the ends. They tend to lose their seal after a couple of years. Even less once you start handling them and moving them around much.

So, I'm not too big of a fan of vacuum sealing. But introducing pressure to even a few psi into a pvc pipe would probably work. As long as the pressure inside the tube is greater than what's outside, water or nothing could get it. Kind of how they do submarines and other positive pressure things. One would just need to make sure the thing is sealed good and the valve doesn't bleed off over time.

Just thinking out loud, i have no experience on this subject....
A. Lots of vids on this and even some of items dug up say 3 years later, good results with a little common sense.
B. Dont bury such in your dang yard if,ya actually concerned someone may look, better get out out out , and tell NO ONE !! Tell the NO ONE to do the same and dont tell you!! Who breaks ??? Everyone breaks
Theyre are metal detectors and even puppies trained to find exactly what folks be hiding. So go in da boonies off the beaten path if its easy for you its easy for the boogy man.

Just thinking out loud, i have no experience on this subject....
A. Lots of vids on this and even some of items dug up say 3 years later, good results with a little common sense.
B. Dont bury such in your dang yard if,ya actually concerned someone may look, better get out out out , and tell NO ONE !! Tell the NO ONE to do the same and dont tell you!! Who breaks ??? Everyone breaks
Theyre are metal detectors and even puppies trained to find exactly what folks be hiding. So go in da boonies off the beaten path if its easy for you its easy for the boogy man.
I talked about this with a buddy once, his response "If you need to bury them, it's time to dig them up and use them"

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Back