• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Merry Christmas Knife

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
I love my woman !!!!! Christmas joy from her today she pays attention and knows what I like.
1225181325.jpg 1225181221.jpg the Kabar/Beker designed Kephart knife has arrived. All I had hoped for based on accounts of the original. Its hard to describe basically light in hand but gives a confident robust feel. Sheath is good leather also,made USA. Look,forward to,using. I will say the true wood scales are nice BUT I ??? How durable time will tell and I will BLO tomorrow, it is very sharp out of box but edge is rather "toothy" probably on,purpose for a working blade, the last initial thing I will proper 90degree a portion of spine for fero/steel use. Much more to follow.
1225181325.jpg 1225181221.jpg

Gee, that is a really nice present DJ!

We had spent so much money on remodeling this year that we agreed to give each other new drapery.

Then I bought myself a $1,200 gun. ;)

OK, I felt guilty, so I gave out lots of presents and a fistfull of hundred dollar bills.

Anyhow we had a terrific Christmas & I hope you did too.

Gee, that is a really nice present DJ!

We had spent so much money on remodeling this year that we agreed to give each other new drapery.

Then I bought myself a $1,200 gun. ;)

OK, I felt guilty, so I gave out lots of presents and a fistfull of hundred dollar bills.

Anyhow we had a terrific Christmas & I hope you did too.
We had agreed no presents this year, except for kids/grandkids. Our christmas was the new house new Land and associated things, but of course we both cheated and got each other little surprises. As for Guns we are different than most we buy quite often they are a commodity like pork bellies :)
We have 4 daughters and 1 son, 2 grands all spoiled rotten basically 24/7 365. With understanding I expect to,be well cared for when old.
Christmas has been very nice and peaceful today.

First things first immediate need of attention prior to bed last night, was sheath.
Upon inserting knife over and over I often found a bobble I would not accept. Inspection found a nice piece of,Kydex inserted inside there. While I understand the thought and some may want or appreciate I do not, not needed for hundred of years or today for me. Away with you !!! Next was a good wet fitting, I did my wet fitting and put away to dry fir the night, now I can sleep. Kinda, those dry wood scales, while the felt so wonderfully shaped and comfortable bothered me. Up again, dismantle, clean, and 2 nice hand rubbed coats of BLO. Yes sir now we can sleep...... Wait that edge????nope !! Leave it its sharp, beat on honest work, till dull then we redo that to our liking. Put it to work soon.1225182025.jpg 1226180604.jpg 1226180620.jpg 1226180629.jpg 1226180643a.jpg

DJ I want to mail you my knives and have you sharpen them LOL...

I have managed to do it correctly a few times in my life (with great effort) but I'm just not that good.

I'm just kidding DJ I have a different philosophy nowadays. When my knife gets really dull, I buy a new one and put the old one in the drawer.

Actually I have a couple of nice new sharp ones just waiting for me to get them dull. After I'm dead my wife can sell them all for a bunch of money.

Knives and guns always seem to sell well.

@CaddmannQ as cerebral and relaxing as old school sharpening can be sometimes I fear Il pass to afterlife before raising a bur, I purchased the Ken Onion Work sharp, worht every penny and useful for so,many things.
Ps,also BIG drawer full of old knives but I do sharpen before retiring them.

That cheap kydex insert is some bullshit.
It's totally unneeded, the sheath is a high quality leather, well stitched etc... I'm sensing a corporate health/safety dept "recomendation". However, that remedied I did wear all day and put in a good day work with it as my cutting tool/companion I'm liking so far.

DJ, That thing probably won't even spark a Swedish Light My Fire Steel.

Don't hang your head in shame. You didn't buy it. Not your fault.

<grin>

@nitesite you are currently banned, you troubled me during my sleep. Soooo way early this morn I had to break out a rod and make fire, it freezing cold, thank you !!!!
Sorry but I'm,sure you have no idea what a pleasure it is screaming cheese at your phone to try and picture a fer steel strike !!
Best part is once successful, a women is screaming why is the deck bannister on fire , you idiot !!!! So,yes sir thank you great idea, hoping you have to apprehend a 400# naked man covered in lard and feces today :)1227180722.jpg Screenshot_2018-12-27-07-28-04.jpg 1227180720.jpg

Ok, lemme try and give ya some meat and taters. But first not being one of the uber modern super bushcrafters I have know idea how to make a feather twig or carve a spoon sorry, 55 years in woods havent had need when I do I will. What we have done I more rudimentary, started by free hand slicing slivers from sheet paper just to confirm sharp then we ( well I cause nobody else cares) found a branch and bucked it with knife batoned(cause since the 2000s batoning is very important ?) it to length, cleaned her up a bit and sharpened it cause ya never know when a sharp stick is needed. We then found piece of firewood and "BATONED" off some kindling. I cut up some paracord, then a chunk off my 1" rope covered in gorilla tape. I hammered it into a 3/4 piece of old yellow pine board till,board split, not sure why did that. Then beat it into the bedliner on tailgate for a picture. Finally,sliced the paper again and then cut up a potatoe thin cause thats what I had on hand and Jeremiah Johnson would surely have pan fried taters after making a sharp stick cutting some rope and bustin some kindling. So if ya like carrying kinda nostalgic but functional and need to do any of,that stuff well this may work for ya. IL say i defiantly am enjoying so,far. All of this certified blade abuse has been verified in the authentic foothills of Appalachia, mere steps away from true,beginning of the trail were such things happen still, not sure why just does.
Yes, its still stupid sharp at this point.1227181613.jpg 1227181616.jpg 1227181630.jpg Pixlr.jpg 1227181633_HDR.jpg 1227181640.jpg

Update it still cuts good, no matter how old and erm "wise" we still dumb.
Super glue and a bandage comin up.1609.jpg

Back