• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Burying firearms

Just thinking out loud, i have no experience on this subject....
A. Lots of vids on this and even some of items dug up say 3 years later, good results with a little common sense.
B. Dont bury such in your dang yard if,ya actually concerned someone may look, better get out out out , and tell NO ONE !! Tell the NO ONE to do the same and dont tell you!! Who breaks ??? Everyone breaks
Theyre are metal detectors and even puppies trained to find exactly what folks be hiding. So go in da boonies off the beaten path if its easy for you its easy for the boogy man.

Nice to see other people actually thinking logically. No flower garden stuff for me.

And diesel, I feel the same way. But I also don't have a problem with having eggs in different baskets either ;)

Nice to see other people actually thinking logically. No flower garden stuff for me.

And diesel, I feel the same way. But I also don't have a problem with having eggs in different baskets either ;)
I've thought about tucking a couple Mosins, or old single shot 12's, or poly guns away for historic preservation. You know, so the museums have something to display

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Brownells sells a product called rust veto.

It's basically cosmoline in a paint can.

It's good stuff mister.

Not really. It's thick enough to cover firing pin holes and such.

Just think back to those cosmo-goop SKS's that were everywhere in the 90's. It covers the metal and provides a layer of grease where small amounts of water and humidity and such won't contact the metal and doesn't rust it. Grease is thicker than water and the two don't mix.

You couldn't do anything too extreme like tie a rope around a gun and throw it in the lake for 2 years, but when stored properly, cosmoline continue to work for decades.

Not really. It's thick enough to cover firing pin holes and such.

Just think back to those cosmo-goop SKS's that were everywhere in the 90's. It covers the metal and provides a layer of grease where small amounts of water and humidity and such won't contact the metal and doesn't rust it. Grease is thicker than water and the two don't mix.

You couldn't do anything too extreme like tie a rope around a gun and throw it in the lake for 2 years, but when stored properly, cosmoline continue to work for decades.
It still seeps out of the old Mosins, on a hot summer day

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Properly cleaned glass containers sealed with 100% GE Silicone-1 should stay water tight when exposed to sun & weather for 100 years. (That's the guarantee GE gave on the BioSphere habitat.) BUT continuously subermerged in water, the seal will degrade in 20 years and Likely will fail in 50.

Sealed, wrapped in 10mil poly, and burried in common soil, I would expect a life of 200 years to 500 years, since it would be protected from (most importantly UV) light, moisture, and temp swings.

Back