• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal Tactical

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
My local gun shop doesnt carry it. Specifically;

Tactical TruBall rifled slug
item# LEB127LRS

Tactical Buckshot
item# LE133 8 pellet 00
item# LE132 9 pellet 00

I've looked at ammunition to go and didnt see it, I may have managed to over look it. Anyone have a recommended online source at not insane prices?

I really wanna pattern these for an HD round, and I'd like to try the slugs for deer hunting. I'm perfectly happy with my Winchester stuff for bird...

Thanks in advance for any advice folks!

Vital Shok buckshot with the flight control wad is the same thing as the Tactical but in a different package.

Johnny, thanks for that piece of information. Armed with that knowledge, I was able to find a personal defense round in 9 pellet with the flite control wad with a muzzle velocity of 1145 fps. I also found a matching TruBall slug round @ 1300 fps.

The part #'s are
2 3/4" 00 buckshot 9 pellet = PD132, compare to the tac round LE132
2 3/4" TruBall rifled slug = PB127LRS, compare to LEB127LRS

Identical rounds for the civy market.

Well, short topic, Ima Du Mass... its cool. Now to find a supplier somewhere close. Oh, and should add WalMart didnt have either of these.

Johnny, thanks for the enlightenment.

No problem. There's also the hunting line of buckshot that's the same as the non-low-recoil Tactical buckshot. I don't know if they make a low-recoil in the hunting packaged loads.

Yep, I did see those too Johnny!

Ugh, seriously though?
My local gunshop doesnt get them. Walmart didnt have them, I checked both Dick's Sporting Goods and Bass Pro Shop. Nothin...

Looks like I'll be ordering online.

whiskey tango foxtrot?

I picked up some le132 from Ammo to Go.com. and went to pattern it in a stock Moss 500 18.5 incher.

I was going to do more extensive testing with different ammo and ranges, but common sense came over me just in time. I already know the spread of buckshot on common SD ranges of 0 to 7 M (0 to 20 feet). There is none so why waste the ammo testing. And for anyone new out there, patterning a shotgun does not need to be a tiring, scientific, painstaking ordeal. Get a cardboard box that a TV or something came in, get some used 8.5 X 11 inch computer paper and a roll of masking tape and you are set. If you want to go deluxe, bring a red or black market to make a bulls eye in the center of the paper.

At 10 M (which covers my most likely HD shots of 4 to 5 meters), it patterned at 2.5 inches. At 20 meters (I have one possible shot of 20 M or so) it patterned at 5.5 inches.

It kicked much less than the standard buckshot I have used in the past. It patterns a little tighter than the h132 ammo I tried a week or so ago, although either one would work at my distances. It hit at point of aim at these distances, cycled perfectly in the gun, so it shapes up to be my HD ammo. I can buy some cheaper stuff for practice. I will get in some practice at 5 and 10 feet, too.

Next trip I may pattern it at 30 meters to see what it does. This is outside of my perceived needs on my properties, but since the gun and ammo are both capable or more I should include these shots in my training, as well as a few slugs.

Box markings, reddish box:Federal Premium Law Enforcement 12 ga. LE132 00 2 3/4 in. BUCKSHOT 9 pellets 00 buck with flightcontrol wad muzzle velocity 1145 fps.

bubba in c.a. said:
And for anyone new out there, patterning a shotgun does not need to be a tiring, scientific, painstaking ordeal. Get a cardboard box that a TV or something came in, get some used 8.5 X 11 inch computer paper and a roll of masking tape and you are set. If you want to go deluxe, bring a red or black market to make a bulls eye in the center of the paper.

True dat! Youre soooo right! It really doesnt have to be as difficult as we make it out to be sometimes. I normally make targets, but picked some up at the gun show just cuz they were cheap! So you'll be seein these in the near future!

Anything on hand works great though, and cardboard is almost always readily available for most everyone.

I have the idea of using LE132 for deer hunting because of the flite control - like to see the pattern at 30m even though my kill zone is about 20m.

JSDinTexas said:
I have the idea of using LE132 for deer hunting because of the flite control - like to see the pattern at 30m even though my kill zone is about 20m.

Well, I'm gonna pattern these real soon. I dont know about meters, but I'm goin to go out to 50 yards. If you wanna see it on paper a little further out, let me know!

Rossignol said:
JSDinTexas said:

Well, I'm gonna pattern these real soon. I dont know about meters, but I'm goin to go out to 50 yards. If you wanna see it on paper a little further out, let me know!

What I am trying to do is determine if hunting at a 30 yd range is feasible, and what kind of sight, if any, I might need to hit these skinny TX deer. I also want to use flite control to tighten up the pattern. Am I too concerned about pattern within say 50 yds? Also, hunting rules will not allow laser, but I am considering a reflex sight on the picatinny rail. Comments?

We cant rifle hunt deer here in Ohio, so I also have a rail/red dot set up for one of my Mossy's. I prefer slugs at 50 + yards though. However, and what I plan to test for my self and the forum, I have heard of the FliteControl 00 buck being used effectively at 50 yards for coyotes.

I'll get that pattern on paper, and if I can I'll set something up to see what kind of penetration I can get at that range too.

Yes I am interested in the results of patterns at say 20 to 50 yds so that is four positions. I guess I could go to slugs and solve the problem. Thanks, and with any luck I may be able to do some range time this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Rossignol said:
JSDinTexas said:

Rossignol,

Remember this 50-yard pattern with FliteControl low recoil 9-pellet 00-Buck?

50_yd_buckshot.jpg

Yeah! There ya go, thats the one I was thinkin about and couldnt remember where I saw it! Thanks for putting that up!

I apologize, my memory isnt what it used to be. lol! But youre the one that posted about using the FliteControl for coyote, right?

Thanks again, its because of your original post I decided I had to try these for my self!

Looks like from your pic that at 50yds the pattern is about 12" square - so at 30yds should be fine for these TX deer - thanks for the pic.
It's going to rain a bit this weekend so I will shoot next week and let you know.

JSDinTexas said:
Looks like from your pic that at 50yds the pattern is about 12" square - so at 30yds should be fine for these TX deer - thanks for the pic.
It's going to rain a bit this weekend so I will shoot next week and let you know.

Thanks for watching.

Six (out of nine) pellets were actually inside of five inches or so, with three fliers opening the pattern up to 10-12-inches.

So, anyone ever find a good source for the LEB127LRS / PB127LRS? I can find the LE132 / PD132 all day long, but I'm only allowed to shoot slugs at my local range.

EDIT: Nevermind, CheaperThanDirt has them for $3.92 a box! :D

Sn3aKyGuY said:
So, anyone ever find a good source for the LEB127LRS / PB127LRS? I can find the LE132 / PD132 all day long, but I'm only allowed to shoot slugs at my local range.

EDIT: Nevermind, CheaperThanDirt has them for $3.92 a box! :D

SGAmmo consistently has the lowest prices that I've found.

They are out at the moment sadly. Just ordered a case (100 rounds) of the LEB127LRS from CTD.com for just over $90, including shipping to my front door.

Back