• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning all binary and non-binary creatures.

. . . Cadd, that is quite the undertaking. . . .

Yes it is Meanie, but I have several very important motivations. (This will get boring fast...)

Fireplaces are an ancient nuisance made obsolete by Ben Franklin and countless others. Houses still have fireplaces because wives think they will make things more romantic. Otherwise they are almost illegal to use here because of the pollution laws. I have not lit this one. Not one single time in 17 years. It represents useless waste of space and energy to me.

The chimney has termite damage. That's the major issue to me.

The chimney flashings are 1/2" too short, causing my awning to drip water. That will go away,

The fascia adjacent to the chimney is rotten from that dripping, both sides. That gets fixed in the re-roofing.

I want to re-shingle the entire region under my HVAC. Part of it is 30+ years old, and part of it is a patch I did maybe 8 years ago.

I want to put up a modern digital antenna and trash my aging compound-Yagi. It hangs off the chimney, so that will be cut loose & anchor to the steel HVAC catwalk.
(LOL . . . my "catwalk" is only 4 feet long.)

The external chimney below roof level will likely need repairs. I'll need to assess that later. My house is sheathed with foil-faced insulation board and stucco, but the chimney likely has 1/2" fir plywood, without styrofoam insulation board, for structural reasons. That is where the termites will have done hidden damage, Without the 18' tall chimney structure, no (termite-laced) plywood is necessary.

I'll sheath it with insulation board and stucco to stop the termites and insulate the space, as this will now be an interior "conditioned" living space.

I am considering moving my gas-fired water heater here from the garage as well, which will mean other complications, but the aquarium is the last and least expensive of all.

If the stock market keeps growing, I'll be happy to hire it all out. ;)

Good morning all. 41 and light rain here. It rained all night near as I can tell. I'm glad I don't have to shovel .

I was planning to drive to Omaha today but the roads up north, Kansas and southern Nebraska as well as Missouri are a mess. Now I have to decide whether to go tomorrow or just postpone till a latter date.

Cadd you have put a lot of thought into this project. Water leaks are terrible as you never know for sure how much damage you'll find once you start peeling the layers away. It sounds like you are planning on the worst which should make you happier once you get into it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the market to stay strong for ya.

You all have a great day and stay safe.

Good morning folks. The clouds are still with us and it's 36, but no rain. I decided not to go up north this weekend due to the weather. There was a time not too long ago I would not have hesitated. I like to think I am wiser now, LOL. Anyways, there will be a better time soon enough.

Have a great day and stay safe.

Morning Mossberg owners.

MeanStreak you sure seem to travel a lot. I guess I'm lucky that my family are all within 50 miles of me. I don't enjoy traveling 1/10 as much as I used to.

Good luck with the weather and the sloppy roads. I would have to drive up to the mountains to see anything like that right now.

I spent most of yesterday working on my aquariums and today I'm going to do some work on the house and go shopping at Sportsman's Warehouse to see if I can find a scope on sale.

We also have a Turner's Sporting Goods now and I'm going to check them out as I've never been in the store.

If I can find a nice scope for under $800 I will be really happy. The last one I bought was a demonstrator without a scratch on it and I got it for 1/3 off the list price. I'm hoping to get lucky again.

Anyhow I'm in no hurry. If I get an irrepressible urge to go shooting I have guns which are not yet broken in.

Last edited:
I finally put a scope on the Ruger precision rifle & I'm going to go test it out tomorrow.

Maybe.

They say there's a 40% chance of rain in the afternoon and 90% the rest of this week.

20190113_182403_resized.jpg
This is a Leupold 3-9×40 & bought at a good price, so I couldn't pass it up. It's not my dream scope for this rifle though, and eventually it may wind up on my Marlin Model 60.

I'd like to get a Steiner similar to the one on my .223 only with a .308 reticle, but for function testing purposes this scope will be fine.

Good morning all. Cloudy again, but it's not raining. It's 33 degrees, not bad at all.

Cadd, I stayed home after all. No sense heading into crummy weather if I don't have to. I don't enjoy the driving back and forth much either. When I moved down here 9 years ago, if the weather was good I would always ride the Nomad to Omaha. I did that for the first couple of summers. Now I don't even do that anymore. My car gets better gas mileage, and it stays dry and whatever temperature I feel like.

That's quite the setup you have put together there. I don't know anyone personally with a RPR, but what I have read about them seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.

Have a great day and be safe.

View attachment 19761

I started plans for the chimney removal, and new aquarium.
There are some errors in the drawing, but this is the general idea.
Cut off the chimney & patch the roof, gut the firebox.
Insulate and finish the interior, and add a security door to the outside.

Then all filter cleaning and water changes can be done from the exterior.
I'll need to add some Pex and valves to fill the system.
I'll just drain it right into the garden/lawn.

Will this look like a window after you're done?

:clock:

Mornin fellas.
the wife was a little loud while she slept....:giggle:
so I'm up early. I was editing a bunch of stuff on my wood site. Now I'm making the rounds on the rest of the sister sites and see if there's spammers or new members in waiting.
I got my first official check the other day from the consignment shop I had 2 pen displays at. She said I need to make lots more. They sold out in a week....
awesome.
Granted they were the lesser costing ones, but still cool.
I'll need to order up a bunch of kits. I don't think I have too many left....

:coffee:
cheers...and stay warm....it's only 20 up here....brrrrr

Good morning MOers. Clear skies are with us again and 29. We should have decent weather for about three days then back to winter.

Rip, interesting concept you mentioned about Cadd having a window. A fish window would be cool. Nice to hear the pens are selling good.

I hope you all have a great day.

Will this look like a window after you're done?

No, it will just look like a big aquarium sitting on the stones. I will paint the back black. You will not be able to see thru into the former fireplace area.
What you would see is the inside of a closet with plumbing and the sump unless the light was off & then you'd see blackness.

BTW, I love the pen, and I put a swivel ring on it to keep it secure. Or for fun . . . whatever.

Good morning fellows. I promised a range report, but I wasn't feeling up to it after cleaning the guns and cooking dinner.
Later today.

It rained all night and is expected to rain evey day this week. This is particularly good news. If global climate change means we get more rain in the valley, the farmers will gain the political power the Dems don't want them to have. Right now high tech and entertainment industries run the state, despite what you hear about farmers and illegal labor from Mexico.

The democrat govt has been suppressing the farmers by dumping water in the ocean with the excuse of saving fish. Meanwhile our legal system is so expensive that they pay killers not to shoot each other, because that is cheaper than doing what is right, and rounding them all up.

I have said for 30 years that we should not house criminals in America, when we could pay the Mexicans to do it for 1/10th the cost.

Last edited:
No, it will just look like a big aquarium sitting on the stones. I will paint the back black. You will not be able to see thru into the former fireplace area.
What you would see is the inside of a closet with plumbing and the sump unless the light was off & then you'd see blackness.

BTW, I love the pen, and I put a swivel ring on it to keep it secure. Or for fun . . . whatever.

Aha...that is interesting....

You put a swivel ring on the snakewood pen? Did you unscrew the top and thread one in? Interesting idea.
Pix?

Good morning Mossberg lovers. It's a balmy 44 here under cloudy skies. The next few days are going to be nice, and Friday will be in the low 60s. The weekend on the other hand will be in the 20s to low 30s.

Fellman that's a beautiful picture. I used to enjoy cold and snow but not as much now. Old bones you know.

I hope you all have a great day.

My bones only liked the snow when i was young :D I prefer the warmth of the summer. We only have light a few ours in the winter.
But we have passed the peak and the sun goes up a bit earlier and down a bit later each day :)

09:07 Sunrise
Thursday, 17 January 2019 (CET)

14:26 Sunset
Thursday, 17 January 2019 (CET)

Its the opposite in the summer.. sun never goes down :) Land of the midnight sun

From the start of June until the second week of July, it’s possible to see the midnight sun across large parts of northern Sweden. The golden rule is that if you want a clear view of the sun as the clock strikes midnight, you need to be near (or ideally north of) the Arctic Circle.

The further towards the North Pole you go, the greater the number of days when the midnight sun is visible. So in Jokkmokk, which is just north of the Arctic Circle, the sun can be seen at midnight for 32 days in a row. Way up high in Abisko, you can expect a whopping 56 days without a single hint of darkness.

map.northern.sweden.jpg

lol.. i must stop posting these gigantic comments :D

Edit: Moved some content better suited for my presentation thread...

Last edited:
Good morning guys.

@ripjack13, I will post a pic of the pen mods later. It's out in my truck.

I spent yesterday on woodworking, plastic, aquarium mods etc. I enlarged the pump, weir, and siphon on my oscar tank, because he makes an unbelievable amount of poop. It's moving at least 50% more water.I went from 2" to 3" pipe on the weir and 1.25" id to 1.5" on the siphon. I used a broader and larger u-trap which improved flow dramatically. Because of the 42" head of water it can drain 60 gals a minute (360 gph) but the pump is only pushing about 200 at that head, so I have to throttle the drain to match inflow.

Today I am taking Judy to the movies, but first I will post that range report.

I needed a dark background for this Photograph and Izzy decided to pose. On my pillow! The Little Beast.
14201.jpeg
This cat does not like visitors and will growl at people who come to our front door. I got her from my boss who found her under the hood of his truck when he got to work one day, about 10 years ago.

Anyhow there's the snakewood pen with the swivel ring attached, but I don't know where these parts actually came from.

I think they're part of an old black powder kit, somebody gave me, that was just a piece of junk.

Back