• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rainy Day Range Report

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Monday had a small window of opportunity before drenching rains hit Aubury, but I raced out there before opening, hoping to get a few shots in before the weather closed in. As it turns out, favorable winds blew the clouds out then died off, to nearly perfect conditions.

I took the new Ruger .308 Precision Rifle, the Marlin .45-70, and the .22 Marlin Model 60. I also got to shoot the new Magnum Research .45-70 6-shot stainless revolver, owned by my buddy the FFL.

That revolver was quite the weapon, shooting a cone of flame which ignited 10" off the muzzle and was visibly 12" with a 12" span. Wish I had got a photo of that but I was having too much fun shooting it.
20190114_104957.jpg
That's a heavy duty revolver and it didn't kick nearly as much as you might think. In .50 Smith & Wesson it would probably be worse.
20190114_105022.jpg

The Marlin .22 was rather dirty. Somehow I had neglected to clean it the last time I went out with six or seven guns in tow. It didn't seem to care and was able to hook up nice rapid fire patterns at 50 and 100 yards. The .22 shot like a champion and was a lot of fun after working bolt guns and lever guns and revolvers.

The Ruger precision rifle was very interesting. I'm not sure I'm going to like .308 Winchester as well as I had originally imagined.

But the rifle is quite a treat, and I would have shot it better except that it has a hair trigger. I'm absolutely not used to it.

The scope is a new Leupold gold ring 3-9×40, which is not my first choice for this gun, but it's a good scope & the price was good. This scope will go on a .22 when I find a deal on my dreamscope.
14186.jpeg

The old scope ring setup I used is not the greatest and I ended up shimming it around in order to get a good sight-in at 50 yards. But ultimately it worked and I was able to shoot this in the wind.
14187_resized.jpeg
I took 5 shots to sight in the scope, and two of them you see on this target at 6 o'clock low and 7:00 in the 8 ring.

The next shot I nicked the bullseye, and then strung four in the 9 ring.

Then I took aim at the 100-yard target and I managed to shoot this. The bullseye is 1" and the X-ring is 3".

20190114_104330_resized.jpg
Not exactly sub MOA but it was windy and I'm shooting white box Factory loads.

5 shots were Winchester 180 grain deer loads and five shots were 150 grain Winchester deer loads. The 180s all fell in the X-ring and the 150s mostly fell in the 10 Ring.

Everything got a thorough cleaning at home which means that I disassembled the model 60 extensively. That little gun can hold an amazing amount of crap and still work great.

Last edited:
Hey, that's not bad. I've not got down behind my .308 in a couple years. I've probably not gotten 2 hours of trigger time total in the last 2 years. I'm ashamed.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I am hoping to do some reloads and work up something really accurate for this gun.

There's no big rush. I have several guns that are not broken in yet, so this one is going to get shot in its turn.

You made up for some lost time Cadd. Looks like you had a most enjoyable time at the range. From you description pulling off a couple of rounds with that revolver at night would be quite the site. The RPR must have gotten some attention at the range as well. Like the rest of the group here I need to get out and shoot more often as well.

Thanks for posting the report.

Meanie, I have almost an entire Year's worth of lost shooting time to make up at this point.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more shooting and fishing going on this year.

Back