• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

loose barrel?

deadctr

Copper BB
Just picked up a 930 pro series waterfowler, 12 gauge. Looking forward to breaking it in.

As always, I broke the gun down for a thorough cleaning upon getting it back home. I had noticed before taking it apart, that there was slight play in the barrel. Almost like the magazine cap was loose.

Thorough cleaning, re-assembled, tightened mag cap, tight, and barrel still has a slight "looseness".

First Mossberg, but all my other semis and pumps lock up tight.

Is this normal, or should I be sending it back for work?

Mine did the same.
Turned out that the magazine tube was loose.
It should me screwed in tight to the receiver with locktite.
Take it out, clean the threads good, on the tube and in the reciever, so the lock tite adheres.
Since the tube was not screwed in all the way, the magazine cap couldn't lock the barrel in.

Hope that is your issue too.
Let me know.

Dang. I wiggled it but there was no more take up, and checked the mag tube, which was tight. I did not remove the mag tube, since it was very hand tight (didn't want to put a stillson wrench on it).

There is still a very slight wiggle, I'd put it at less than a 1/16" that I can turn it, and that is with the bolt at battery.

Wondering if I should even concern myself with it?

BTW, thanks for the responses and insight.

I'd concern myself with it. Lots of pressure going on in there and I don't want a wobbly barrel in the mix.

Agreed, bad things happen when the pressure finds an escape route back toward you rather than down the barrel. Path of least resistance and all that.....

First off, thanks again for all the responses. As I said previous, when I got the gum home I took it apart, cleaned it well, and put it back together....... here it comes.
When I took it apart, I swear I laid everything out as it came off the mag tube, and put it back together just as it came apart. This isn't the first gun I've had apart and always lay things out as they come apart.
Anyway, I took it back apart again, just to see if I could get it tighter.
Turns out the gas spring was between the pusher and the spacer tube, rather than between the pusher and the retainer. Once they were all where they were to be, it tightened up nicely.

Now, was it like that from the factory? I would hope not, and it was me that slid them on out of order.

I've never been in one, but there is a schematic in the owners manual. Regardless of who got the parts out of order, this is how they're supposed to go. And as long as it is, you should be good to go.

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/16888-930-935-Owners-Manual_E.pdf

3247_29_15-mossberg-930-assembly.jpg

Back