• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remove front sight

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
Suggestions on howto remove this type of front sight on a Mossberg 590A1 ?
I have not fully decided yet to do this, but.. maybe replace it with a bead ?

20190119_213748_hd.jpg

Get another barrel but with a bead? Save that barrel for other use or sale? It is worth more than a bead sight barrel--maybe trade with someone?

PS: or do you just want to put another type of sight in the dovetail? I'm sure you could get a tritium sight for it...

My primary sight will be some type of red dot.. i have an empty rail atm. :)

Last edited:
I would imagine that front sight is probably brazed on, just like the ring that goes around the magazine tube.

If it's brazed on, you could heat it up enough to affect the braze and knock it off. Then drill and tap and probably refinish the barrel. But since the mag ring is on the underside of the barrel right below the sight, I would be nervous about it coming apart too.

The easier option is to just replace the barrel and keep or sell it.

But I would imagine that most red dot optics would be above the front post so it wouldn't really interfere with it unless it just bugs you that it's there or ????

Alright.. thanks all for input.

Yes, it wouldnt interfere with the red dot, its just a cosmetic thing.. it would look nice with a clean barrel.
Heating it up and risk the magtube rings falling off would make me very nervous :)

The retailer here in Sweden doesnt have spare barrels, it have to be on special order, from the US :/

Last edited:
Heating it up and risk the magtube rings falling off would make me very nervous :)

The retailer here in Sweden doesnt have spare barrels, it have to be on special order, from the US :/

Yes, what John said--damage could be done to the tube mount. That is why I would suggest another barrel so you don't risk damaging your existing barrel.

What did you do with your rear sight--remove it? If so, maybe remove the dovetail then perhaps there is a screw holding the dovetail base on? That might lower the sight so it isn't noticeable. Personally, I'd just leave it as-is...

I don't really know what to tell you regarding a replacement barrel. Perhaps find the exact one you want at the Mossberg website, then do a search of that number on Debay.eu or whatever--maybe there is one in Europe that would be easier to acquire. I don't know if Mossberg ships internationally...

Yes, i removed the rear sight and replaced it with a rail. Will get a red dot sight later. My Mossberg retailer got a lot of Mossberg stuff but no barrels in stock. Ordering an entire barrel from the US just to get rid of the front sight feels a bit overkill. This is my rifle..

Speking about ordering a barrel..
Just got a reply from my "arms dealer" regarding a heatshield for the Mossberg which was not in stock.
This is a direct translation

Do not have delivery times for these at the moment.

The state department in the US does not approve export permits right now, so we have to wait until it changes.

If you leave that front sight on there, it won't affect your sight picture with a red dot. I have a micro red dot for a pistol on the rail and the front sight doesn't get in the way. I suppose you could use a belt sander and a steel file to get rid of the front sight if you REALLY want to but then you risk ruining the barrel if you take too much off and it still needs refinished.

eKi6tEB.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I know you are still wanting to remove the front sight, but it won't interfere with the red dot.

I'm pretty sure it's silver soldered on so the heat is much less, but as noted, will ruin the finish. Probably your best bet would be to find someone that would trade barrels with you. That doesn't sound to likely either.

@fellmann where were you a few years ago? I started with a bead sight and retro fit the sights you have onto my shotgun. From the picture it looks like the stock shortening project came out very good.

Front sights has the least priority in my "wishlist" of modifications guys :) atm. i will leave them as is since its to much work.

I have been in limbo the last 10 years :)

Back