• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Shockwave, 1st impressions

"590 Shockwave, 1st impressions" My 1st impression is the Mossberg Shockwave sucks. I wish now that I had purchased a Remington Model 870 Tac-14, even if the Remington arrived broken right out of the box it would have the same track record of my POS Shockwave.

I bet you could find a gun shop willing to let you trade the gun in for something else.

I prefer a Hog Hunter green laser on a picatinny and shoot from the hip or any position to be 100% accurate. I use Duplick broadhead slugs for encounters with monsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received a Mossberg 590 Shockwave in FDE Cerakote Finish as a Christmas gift from my family. I haven't taken it out to the range yet and most likely won't be able to anytime soon, so a range report will have to come later, these are merely my first impressions based on handling it.

The first thing that I noticed was that the action was smooth right out of the box, which surprised me since I had read that a few folks had gotten theirs with somewhat stiff actions which required breaking in. I'm unsure if I'm just lucky, if more recently produced models are simply smoother, or if this can be attributed to the Cerakote finish, which is self-lubricating and rather smooth to the touch.

Speaking of the finish, I wasn't very fond of Flat Dark Earth initially, but it has grown on me since then.
Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed to discover that the finish is external only. The bore, the bolt, and the breach are merely blued, which is disappointing since I'm used to seeing Cerakoted firearms finished both internally & externally. In addition, the fact that the finish is external only renders it more of an aesthetic finish than a corrosion resistant coating since the internal surfaces aren't coated in it at all. Furthermore, when applied properly, Cerakote is only .0001 thick, which the Shockwave has more than enough clearance between components to accommodate, ergo the omission of Cerakote on internal surfaces was likely due to the fact that it would have required a more involved process overseen by an actual human being.

The Shockwave feels surprisingly well balanced in the hands. Initially, (perhaps too hastily) I expected the Shockwave to feel somewhat awkward, but much to the contrary, it feels good, albeit it does feel more natural to hold it in a hip-fire position as opposed to holding it straight out in front of you as you would a more traditional shotgun with a shoulder stock.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Shockwave and can't wait to take it out to the range. However, I prefer to do my shooting at outdoor ranges with warm weather, so it will most likely be at least a few months before I take it out to the range, much less have the free time to do so. But then again, with the weather being as erratic as it has been lately, it may be warm outside much sooner than expected.

I've never seen a firearm with cerakote applied internally, especially in the chamber and the bore. The added thickness would cause problems. Whether by being applied too thick because cerakote is a sprayed on type of finish, or by flaking or peeling off anyway with normal wear and tear. What I'm saying is if you were to stand there and try to spray the entire length of the inside of the barrel from either end, I assure you that it would be a lot more than .0001" thick, or whatever number you stated.

Those critical areas should not be cerakoted. Putting it politely, that would reek of shoddiness and poor planning and application.

The fact that you said there was no overspray or finish inside of the gun tells me whoever painted it did their job correctly and well.

Also, blueing is a form of corrosion resistance. Just oil it every now and then and it'll probably out last both of us.

I see your point. I'm no expert on the application of Cerakote, I'm merely stating what I've seen in pictures posted by users who had aftermarket Cerakote applications done to their firearms, ergo it is entirely possible that those who applied it cared more about aesthetics than practicality or even safety. It should also be noted that the majority of the Cerakoted firearms I'm basing this off of were semiautomatic pistols, of which it would obviously be much easier to Cerakote the inside of a slide, frame, and even the barrel due to the much shorter length.

At any rate, like I said, I'm satisfied with it regardless.

Glad you're happy with it.

But if you ever got a barrel that was cerakoted inside of it, whoever did that, should never do another.

Have you tried any buckshot yet?
No. I made a quick trip to the range after taking delivery for a few test shots. The only 20 gauge shells I had were the game loads.
I want to work out the technique of shooting the thing before going to harder kicking, more expensive ammo.

Never thought I'd like one but it looks like I will be owning one tomorrow that has been cerakoted with an American Flag motif. Love the heat shield idea from Mossberg and the side saddle for ammo. Also like the idea of it fitting in a small case. I used to have a .410 Cruiser and built a wall hanger for it that is now empty. I think the Shockwave will fit in it just fine!

Got mine today and this afternoon I loaded up some #4 shot shells and let them fly. Spicy recoil! The raptor grip already has the extra grip pads on it but it still wants to exit stage left in my hand. Either I need to add the recoil strap or change over to a pistol grip. Not sure which one yet. Absolute blast to shoot though, forgot how fun it is to see the 12ga holes in the barrel at 5 yards. Also ran two rounds of 00 Buck through it. Love the cerakote distressed flag scheme...and it came from a veteran! Going to order the heat shield this week and get it on board.

image2.jpeg

Well I got the grip and finally figured out it's an Allen bolt head after trying a bunch of sockets. Installation has begun.

Last edited:
And here’s the result....much better!

01444c3daf5c9df6898f3a5ffb695735.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tested the new grip today. It mitigates a small amount of the recoil. Shooting from the hip is much easier to retain control. Firing from a lean forward position is best and the control is much better. For those who are saying it takes more than about 15% of the recoil out, gotta call BS. I was shooting high brass Remington Express Long Range #4 shot 2 3/4" shells. Next time out I'll be trying the regular load #4 for comparison.

Back