• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer Deer everywhere!!!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I hunted the last day of our 2017-18 deer season today and the deer were coming out of the woods like crazy. By the time shooting hours were up there were over 50 deer in the field. All were to far out for me to shoot, 300+ yards. Only one wanderred close (200 yards) and it was a baby right at dark so I let her walk.

Can't really make them out in the video but there were two nice racks in the mix and a few smaller bucks.

Good to know there are some nice ones left for next year.

Despite the bone chilling cold, and not filling my last doe tag, it was a great year

It's amazing there are that many hanging out in that area.

Good for you though.

Probably as good for the farmer though.

Where the hell were they from Oct to now?!?!?!?! LOL

Watching you.

From behind your blind is my guess.

You need to install a periscope in your shack.

Or side mirrors.

I have windows on all sides but found I cannot use them as it allows to much light in as well as allow the deer to see through.

I only use windows on two sides and I installed a large louver between the two on the one side so that I can see out but it blocks the deer/turkey from seeing the window on the adjoining side.

After hunting this bitter cold last couple weeks I have decided to replace the current windows with a different design. I made these really big because I thought I would put it on stilts and also planned on shooting a vertical bow from it. I have done neither so the windows are bigger than need be allowing more light and wind in then they need to. I'm going to block off the unused space at the top and bottom and install a flip down panel with a plexiglas insert. That way I can sit inside and be warm.

I find as I get older my desire to just suffer through the cold is diminishing. The way I built the blind it will be easy modify the design to add these. I'll post some pics when I actually do it.

The windows in our cabin are not meant for human habitation in the dead of winter either. They're like the old house trailer and RV crank windows from the 70's. And they're small too.

I do have a couple of gas heaters in there though if it gets too bad while I'm up there.

I have a REALLY BIG sliding window up there that I am considering installing next year. I worry that it would be "too big" though.

And I know what you mean about being cold.

When I was working as a linemen, I would work more OT and be on-call in bad and cold weather than most any other time. Snow and Ice take down a lot of trees every year. Not including the car wrecks and stuff.

I couldn't tell you the times I got home and my cover-alls were froze solid from getting wet and freezing. After almost 2 decades of that every day, I can honest say that is one part that I don't miss anymore.

It's a younger mans turn to do it now. I paid my dues with 24+ hour shifts, frostbite and hypo and even hyper-thermia. I loved that job. But it broke me down and made a lot older man out of me than my years should show.

I'm pretty jealous that you got to hunt all the way until the end of the year. Here in California, the sad attempt at deer season is just shy of one month long, in early to mid October for most zones.

I'm pretty jealous that you got to hunt all the way until the end of the year. Here in California, the sad attempt at deer season is just shy of one month long, in early to mid October for most zones.

I definitely won't complain about our deer season. Between archery, firearm and muzzleloading we can hunt from Oct 1 to Jan 1.

The deer season in parts of the midwest are definitely not long enough. Cars, motorcycles, and trucks hit them all too often.

I wish we had a better deer hunt hear in Arizona,The size of our deer is about the size of a skinny german shepard,have had no doe hunt for 40 years i blame it all on game management maybe next year go somewhere else

Back