• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Homemade fixed length paracord slings

GT_80

.270 WIN
I posted about a few slings I made in another thread, but didn't realize there was a section just for that.

I have been working on making some of my own Paracord slings, mainly because I wanted to learn how for a while, and while they are cheaper on Ebay, I like the freedom of making them whatever color/length I want and I don't have to wait a week to get something I may be disappointed with.

Its relatively simple, for me the hardest part is getting the length right as I haven't made any adjustable yet, I try to make them ride high enough on my back, loose enough to not get in the way when benchrest of offhand shooting, and making them useful to pull the gun closer to your shoulder for more accuracy.

For my Mossbergs with a standard mag tube length, the chord lengths about 41" which makes about a 43" OAL is about hwere I like it, and for an extended mag tube (pursuader 8 shot style) add a couple inches I think I made the first one at 46"chord, so about 48" OAL, and I think it may be about 2" too long for my liking, but it came out so well, I don't want to change it.

For a standard 41-43" sling, you need about 100 feet of chord - I use two 50 foot sections, mainly because it's easier to pull shorter pieces of chord, and you can make two color slings easier with 50 foot sections.

I plan on doing a youtube "how to" video soon. My wife was asking if I could sell them, because I enjoy making them so much, but they cost about $18-20 each to make, and you can buy them for about $13-$16 on eBay so I couldn't compete with that unless people wanted them mainly being built in US.

I use uncle mikes sling swivels, and currently I have been buying my parachord from Walmart, but I do want to but it in bulk soon, if I decide to keep doing this.

This is a super satisfying and very useful skill to learn. Not hard at all either. It's harder to get the ends tucked in and melted together than to actually make the sling.

009.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 005.JPG 052.JPG 006.JPG 029.JPG 031.JPG

That's nice work. How quickly can they be unwoven? I made a dog leash several years ago with a weave that once the ends were out, could unravel with a single pull. Good way to carry spare cordage for the survivalist types, while being functional otherwise.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

That's nice work. How quickly can they be unwoven? I made a dog leash several years ago with a weave that once the ends were out, could unravel with a single pull. Good way to carry spare cordage for the survivalist types, while being functional otherwise.

A few minutes- definitely not in one pull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont happen to need any axe sheaths do ya? I'd be up to do some trading.

Dont happen to need any axe sheaths do ya? I'd be up to do some trading.

I wouldn't even know where to begin... I need to look up more ways to use paracord. Trying to figure out how to just wrap things and tuck the end in- like on my lever for my 30-30.

Back