• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

My first post! My safety is still the stock one that has been on the gun since new about 15 years ago. I love my Mossbergs. Great weapons.

Welcome to the board. The original plastic safety on my 500 lasted 36 years before eventually cracking down the center. No need to replace yours if you like it. Some replace it for cosmetic and/or tactile feel. Some replace it out of necessity if/when it breaks and choose to go with aftermarket metal safeties, rather than the plastic OEM.

I bought the Brownells for mine, and it gives much more of a positive feel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 4.26.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 4.26.21 PM.png
    95 KB · Views: 44
Can you can send me a couple? I have a Promag safety on the way.

You bet. PM me the address you'd like me to send them to. I'll toss a few into a padded envelope for you tomorrow. You'll need a 1/16th inch Allen wrench to install. Pretty tiny, and not a high-torque fastener. Little dab of blue loctite and hand-snugging to avoid stripping.

Have you taken out the factory one-way security screw yet? It can be...annoying.

You bet. PM me the address you'd like me to send them to. I'll toss a few into a padded envelope for you tomorrow. You'll need a 1/16th inch Allen wrench to install. Pretty tiny, and not a high-torque fastener. Little dab of blue loctite and hand-snugging to avoid stripping.

Have you taken out the factory oneway security screw yet? It can be...annoying.
Orbiter,
The one way screw from the factory that holds down the safety can be a PITA. If you get a right sized flat head screw driver (blade width = diameter of screw) and some steady downward force it comes off easy enough.
Best to replace it with something easier to work with as DarkPassenger suggests.

Replaced mine about a year ago with a Promag. I ended up reusing the original screw also. It was not too hard to remove with a lot of downward pressure, but the screw driver did leave a silver mark on the screw. I touched it up with a Birchwood Casey black pen.

Hi,
I tried that trick and it did not work for me???

Might depend on how tight/condition it is in?

Had to take a small punch and hit lightly in lefty loosey manner.

It finally started to turn.

Once you can get it to move, it's yours!

Attachments

• Aimpro-Mossberg-500_001.jpg
    Aimpro-Mossberg-500_001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 22
Just purchased off Ebay for $15.73 1 more promag safety for my new 500 Flex. In my opinion it's a must have - so much better than the OEM safety. I can deal with the safety fastener and replace both it and the safety.

Mossberg should get with it and offer an out of the box safety that is of a design that we do not have to replace the factory safety.

Just purchased off Ebay for $15.73 1 more promag safety for my new 500 Flex. In my opinion it's a must have - so much better than the OEM safety. I can deal with the safety fastener and replace both it and the safety.

Mossberg should get with it and offer an out of the box safety that is of a design that we do not have to replace the factory safety.

Hi,
It seems that Mossberg only makes my LH 590A1 only once a year?

When I tried to buy one there was NONE to be found from ANY distributor.

I ended up calling Mossberg twice to get info?

Why would a company that sees that they have an item or model that always sells out...

Not make more of them???

I had to wait almost a year?

Seems a no brainer to me but?

Just sayin wouldn't wait on Mossberg, listening to well to Customers! Ha!

If you are running your mossy with bead sight does the ramped promag safety interfere at all with getting a low sight line when looking down the top of the receiver at the fromt sight?

If you are running your mossy with bead sight does the ramped promag safety interfere at all with getting a low sight line when looking down the top of the receiver at the fromt sight?
Nope, not at all. Even in the fire position, the top of the safety is below the top of the receiver.

Back