• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trailgun: schockwave or .357 mag revolver?

Well.. i'm no handgun guy.. yet ;) Maybe its easier to pull a 357 from a holster ?
I think they can do the job equally good, just load the shotgun with the right shells.
Maybe from #4 buckshot and up ?
A shotgun could be good in stressed situations with a approaching cougar with its wider hit area, depending on distance ofcourse.

I'm no expert, i'm just "guessing" :)

Edit: Now i read 20g - i wrote this with 12g in mind :)

Hello,
For defense against cougars, which is better? 20g shockwave or .357 revolver?

Hello and welcome!
00 buckshot for the 20 can be hard to find and expensive when you do, #3 and #4 are more common I would imagine well placed shot from either of those loads could stop a big cat and you can always pack some 3/4 oz slugs along for the hike. Personally If I was spending very much time in predator country I would haul the .357 along just for grins!

Last edited:
If it were me, then I'd sooner carry my Taurus Judge Magnum. (Or Smith & Wesson Governor if you don't trust Taurus) .45 Colt has plenty of stopping power against Cougar and you can load .410 Bore Shotshells for anything else.

Now if I were going into Grizzly territory, then I'd carry my Shockwave, but if Cougar was the largest, fiercest animal I was likely to encounter, then the Judge just makes more sense since it weighs half of what the Shockwave does yet still packs plenty of punch.

That said, if you already own a Shockwave or a .357 Magnum Revolver, then go ahead and carry either or, but the Shockwave may be a bit better just in case you run into a Black Bear or something.

Hello,
For defense against cougars, which is better? 20g shockwave or .357 revolver?

If this is what you have either will work and while ammunition selection is important shot placement in ultimately the proof of adequacy.

Other considerations are equally important including:

Are cougars the top of the food chain in your area? If not, you might want to reconsider your choice.

How large are the cougars your encountering?

Terrain should also be considered. Is your predominant terrain open, heavily wooded, mountainess, etc. Cougars like to lie in wait from elevated positions in trees or rock ledges and pounce on prey attacking the back of the neck for an instant kill. Consider your time of response based on your terrain.

Are you working or hiking. If mainly hiking carrying a shockwave is easy; whereas, working with your hands you may be better off carrying a pistol. Also consider how you carry a pistol? Chest rig or holister on belt .

Just a couple of thoughts for your considration. I deal with black bears, cougars, bobcats and coyotes on a day to day basis. Based on the worst of my threats (bears) we carry both pistols and shotguns. 12 gauge shockwave loaded with OO buck and black magic slugs and a Glock 10mm with Underwood extreme penerator ammunition.

Bottom line is shot placement.

Regards

Either one seems as though it would be effective, to me. If you go with the 20 gauge, I would highly recommend either Spartan or Rio #1 buck shotshells. I've never had a single issue with them, and they are incredibly inexpensive. Take care. Tom Worthington

I wouldn't feel outgunned with either choice to be honest.

I admit that I carry a 7 shot 357 in a shoulder holster when I am in my woods, but I'm fairly proficient with it. And I have some pretty warm handloads in it too. The long barrel and sight radius is fairly accurate out to the distance that I can shoot it.

But I have to say, when dealing with an apex predator, between your two choices, I would likely choose the 20 ga pump gun and learn how to shoot it. I'm not really the biggest fan of pistol shotguns, so my answer may slightly be prejudiced based on that.

Whichever is legal to carry where you will need it.

Whichever you can deploy the fastest with the most accuracy.

The odds of stopping a charging cat in its tracks with either are pretty slim, assuming you even have enough time to react.

I would prob opt for the 357 loaded with some 180gr Buffalo Bore Ammo, because its lighter, easier to carry and faster to for me to deploy than a shotgun. YMMV

Back