• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lighter barrel for 590a1?

DTL

Has anyone changed the heavy wall barrel on their a1 to a standard wall barrel? I have an older 18.5 inch 6 shot a1 and have always found it nose heavy. I recently handled a 590 (non a1) 7 shot model 50778 at a lgs and found it to handle much better due to the lighter barrel. I called mossberg and they said they could sell me the lighter barrel but that i would also have to change out the mag tube and spring (6 shot vs 7 shot). It would cost about 200 bucks for all the parts and shipping. Also, Im not sure how easy it would be to get the existing mag tube off and the new one fitted in. Has anyone done this before or do you all usually just buy the different gun? Really like everything about my a1 (finish, metal safety amd triiger gaurd). I just dont like the extra weight of the heavy walled barrel.

I balanced my 930 SPX by adding a buttstock sleeve ammo carrier. Putting the extra weight back there completely changed the way it handles.

It's much cheaper, too.

You'll need a heat gun or a really strong grip to break the magazine tube free. Harbor freight has heat guns for around $20 I think. I put the receiver in my vise with a piece of leather glued on each of the jaws AND another piece over the receiver to protect the finish.

I keep my extra ammo on the stock and it does help the gun balance but adding weight somewhere else won't change that your barrel is still heavier than you like.

Considering that you could buy the model 50778 for $299 instead of buying a new barrel/magazine for $200, I'd just get another gun. Let's say you decide to sell one of the shotguns down the road, you can possibly recover something on the investment. Selling a barrel and mag tube most likely will be harder than selling a full shotgun.
https://www.gunbuyer.com/mossberg-5...gun-12ga-3-chamber-18-5-barrel-7-1-50778.html

^ True.

But one of the selling points for the thick walled 590, is the thick walled barrel.

I personally would like to get a thick walled barrel for my 500 actually. But I don't know if the barrels are interchangeable. I'm not worried about swapping a mag tube.

^ True.

But one of the selling points for the thick walled 590, is the thick walled barrel.

I personally would like to get a thick walled barrel for my 500 actually. But I don't know if the barrels are interchangeable. I'm not worried about swapping a mag tube.

What are the reasons you are seeking the thick walled barrel for your current setup?

For the best reason there is.

Why not?

:lol:

Has anyone changed the heavy wall barrel on their a1 to a standard wall barrel?

Yep, and done a lot of other stuff too :crazy:

Now, where did I put The Chart of Weights and Measures...

Your 18.5 A1 weighs about 105 ounce empty, 113 full. Model 50778 weights 101 and 111 full.

Back