• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Mossberg 590A1 Mod

I think the riser is a good idea if it helps you line up the dot. The only red dot I had on a shotgun was a Tri-Star (Turkish) Semi 12ga with tactical pistol grip stock so the comb may have been different. Conveniently, the red dot co-witnessed with the factory sights. I tend to keep both eyes open when using a red dot, I think? I don't have one mounted right now to check...

I think i have solved the forward sling attachement and the flashlight attachement.
I could not solve it as good as i wanted with my limited resources at home,
so i had to give in a bit on the "not to interfere with the disassembly" rule.
I can take two extra hex screws...

I have ordered this monster :) but i will not include the top part
NcSTAR-MSHBDREM_800x800.jpg
It will look something like this...
NcStar-Mossberg-500-Barrel-Mount_2.jpg
My sling will attached with this on the left side ( which i also have ordered )
r1.jpg
And the right side is for a flashlight, when needed...

Now i have to wait a few days for the stuff to arrive :p

I think i have solved the forward sling attachement and the flashlight attachement.
I could not solve it as good as i wanted with my limited resources at home,
so i had to give in a bit on the "not to interfere with the disassembly" rule.
I can take two extra hex screws...

I have ordered this monster :) but i will not include the top part
View attachment 20152
It will look something like this...
View attachment 20153
My sling will attached with this on the left side ( which i also have ordered )
View attachment 20154
And the right side is for a flashlight, when needed...

Now i have to wait a few days for the stuff to arrive :p

GENIOUS!!!!!!!

Yeah, that top thing is a monstrosity and totally useless.

To solve so many things to such a low cost was perfect. Aprox $30 for everything...

Last edited:
That's pretty nice for $30. I would agree with Nitesite's comment on the top rail.

While browsing the web in search of input regarding red dots on shotguns and cheek weld.. i found some stuff i will qoute here..

With a properly fitting stock and push-pull technique, the cheek weld issue goes away. I used to be in the camp that believed your cheek needed to be smashed down on the stock in order to control a shotgun's recoil. Not anymore.
Cheekweld with Irons (GRS)? Absolutely necessary.
Cheekweld with Magnified optics? Absolutely necessary.
Cheekweld with a Red-Dot? Absolutely not necessary.
Cheekweld with a Bead? Absolutely not necessary...but the stock is likely to bite you for not having one.
Some people shoot faster with red dots, some don't.
One thing you need to be aware of is that a lot of these will require more of a jaw weld as opposed to a cheek weld, and can be uncomfortable to shoot.
Comments on this ?

Maybe i will just zero it with the red dot and cheek raiser and then remove the raiser ? i dont know.. im thinking to much lol

Last edited:
Weekend work.. again.. :)

Planned
  • A new and wider cheek rest. More contact with the stock velcro.
  • A QD mount that won't interfere with the cheek rest and the stock bolt.

20190308_202402_hd.jpg

Pretty sweet practical use modifications there. I'm used to seeing a lot of folks who just go slapping a bunch of random accessories onto their firearms these days which range from counter-productive to outright detrimental towards one another, like putting a long range telescopic scope on a Shotgun or both a laser, a flashlight, and night sights all on the same gun at once.

Awesome work!

My 590a1 started out with a synthetic speed-feed stock. LOP was too long and butt pad cushioning was non-existent. I ended up going with a Magpul SGA stock, but if I had the time and patience, I would've ended up modifying my original stock for better ergonomics like you did with your stock.

I love the ergonomics of mossberg pump-action's, but the LOP on the factory configuration seems to be set up for gorillas.

Back