• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stupid Question

comma

.22LR
Just got my first Mossberg (the shockwave) and I've really been babying it.

I just dropped it on its side about a foot onto a plastic storage bin.

I feel stupid even asking because I'm sure it's fine, but anyway a very small drop onto something like this (not a hard surface) could cause any issues?

I see no reason why it shouldn't be fine. I've seen them fall off of tailgates, I've seen those old wall hanger gun racks fall off the nail and bounce in the floor, etc.

No need to worry. Ours ride on tractors, in floor board of the jeep, and gets banged around every day. They are work guns like other tools. Just cycle the action a few times and dry fire it. If it cycles fine load it up and shoot it. These Mossberg shotguns have been around for decades and most work fine even with a few "love marks" on them.

Most importantly welcome to the Shockwave asylum.

Regards

I'm sure it will be fine. Most firearms are fairly stout and survive falls no problem although they can get scratched/scuffed, etc. The MAIN issue dropping a gun is that some can fire if they hit "just right" and THAT could be dangerous! :eek:

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Thanks guys! That's what I thought/hoped. Sorry for the paranoid question! It was honestly a very small drop.

This is my first shotgun and just not super familiar with them.

I have another embarrassing question I might ask here in case someone can quickly answer.

If I cock the shotgun and dry fire, the thing you push in to cock the shotgun (sorry, no idea what this is called!) is pushed in (I can't push it) and I have to cock the shotgun back again without pushing this in. Sorry if that makes no sense.

If it does, is that normal? And why does that happen?

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the help so far!

Comma, think we're somewhat confused by your last question.

I "assume" your talking about the slide release button located to the rear and right of the trigger guard? If so, there is no need to touch this release as long as you're either firing live shells or dry firing the gun.

Recommend you first read (or reread) the operational and safety manual that came with the gun. It gives a good explanation of the controls. Secondly, if you still have questions please try to describe in detail the process your atempting and the issue encountered. Folks here will be happy to help.

If you know someone who is familiar with shotguns I'm sure they would be happy to sit down with you to answer your questions.

Regards

Comma, think we're somewhat confused by your last question.

I "assume" your talking about the slide release button located to the rear and right of the trigger guard? If so, there is no need to touch this release as long as you're either firing live shells or dry firing the gun.

Recommend you first read (or reread) the operational and safety manual that came with the gun. It gives a good explanation of the controls. Secondly, if you still have questions please try to describe in detail the process your atempting and the issue encountered. Folks here will be happy to help.

If you know someone who is familiar with shotguns I'm sure they would be happy to sit down with you to answer your questions.

Regards

Yes, I mean the slide release button.
I will re-read the instructions.

I thought that this button needs to be pressed whenever loading a new round. However, after I pull the trigger (dry fire) the button is depressed in and I can rack the slide without pressing it. Just wanted to make sure this is normal operation. That's where I dropped the gun sort of, so still slightly paranoid about that. Haha.

Thanks!

Yes, I mean the slide release button.
I will re-read the instructions.

I thought that this button needs to be pressed whenever loading a new round. However, after I pull the trigger (dry fire) the button is depressed in and I can rack the slide without pressing it. Just wanted to make sure this is normal operation. That's where I dropped the gun sort of, so still slightly paranoid about that. Haha.

Thanks!

The slide release is more for unloading the tube of live rounds without having your finger in the trigger hole. Just hold the button in with your thumb gripping the top of the receiver while racking the slide until the mag tube is empty.

The slide release is more for unloading the tube of live rounds without having your finger in the trigger hole. Just hold the button in with your thumb gripping the top of the receiver while racking the slide until the mag tube is empty.

Is it normal for it to stay depressed once the trigger has been pressed? (I am dry firing right now)

Yes, until you cycle the slide again. In normal shooting you never touch it (or look at it ;) ).

Thanks!
So once you first load a shell in, you cycle shells with the pump without pressing the button. Then once all the shells have cycled through and you reload, you would need to press it again? Is that correct?

It's just hard because I don't have snap caps and I can't shoot it in the near future but I am trying to learn the mechanics. So all I can do is dry fire

Thanks!
So once you first load a shell in, you cycle shells with the pump without pressing the button. Then once all the shells have cycled through and you reload, you would need to press it again? Is that correct?

It's just hard because I don't have snap caps and I can't shoot it in the near future but I am trying to learn the mechanics. So all I can do is dry fire

Comma, your statement is essentially correct. That said, most situations dictate you never allow the weapon to run dry. If you shoot a couple of rounds you simply up load the magazine while on the move.

However, if you run the weapon dry then two different situations may occur.

If you've pulled the trigger on an empty chamber then all you need to do after uploading the magazine is to cycle the slide. No need to touch the slide release button (it will not be extended).

If you've cycled the weapon but did not pull the trigger the slide release button will be extended. Once you reload the magazine you will need to press the slide release before you can cycle the weapon.

Given your inexperience I'd recommend you buy some practice shells from your local gun store or order some online. With these you can practice all types of drills and get familiar with the weapon before actual live shooting.

Practice firearms safety!

Regards

Given your inexperience I'd recommend you buy some practice shells from your local gun store or order some online. With these you can practice all types of drills and get familiar with the weapon before actual live shooting.

Practice firearms safety!

THIS!!! ^^^^ For $7 for 10 THIS would be money well spent. And not just Comma, but anyone reading this who doesn't have a set.

dummy.jpg

Where are you finding those $7 for 10?

Ernst gave you the same link which I "hid" under "THIS" in my post.

While on the subject of practice rounds, I also looked into this pistol practice round "variety pack" for $24 LINK and 5.56 "proving" rounds for $5 LINK. All to get above the $49 "free shipping" threshold. :rolleyes: Still have a couple more items to get...

PS: Midway is making it hard for me to NOT place an order... They noticed it was my birthday coming up so discounts galore (sort of). I do not normally celebrate my birthday NOR should you! (unless you are sending money... ;) )

Last edited:
Back