• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 magazine tube loose

I bought a used 930 turkey, traditional grip stock, camo , 24" barrel. The magazine tube was crimped at the end where the magazine spring retainer clip is, and the threads were shaving, like a coil spring. Bought a new replacement magazine tube from Mossberg.

This new magazine tube will not stay set into the receiver, it will come out by hand after 10 rounds.

Put blue loctite on threads, used a oil filter strap wrench (it's like a pipe wrench, but uses friction of the strap instead of teeth to bite the tube) on magazine tube.

Same thing, comes off after 15 rounds.

I'm considering 2 options: the first is to use JB Weld epoxy on the threads, like super loctite. No, I don't plan on removing the mag tube again.

Option 2 is to remove the magazine tube, drill a small hole on bottom of the receiver, tap threads, screw magazine tube back in, then use a allen head set screw to lock magazine tube to receiver.

And no, I don't care about resale, or "devalueing"; It's mine and it'll stay that way. I don't sell guns.

Sound okay, or is there another idea someone has?

My 930's tube loosened up when I 1st got it too.
I had permanent success with the lock tire solution.

I don't like either of your options.
Option 1. ... the tube is a wear item and you will have to replace it one day, or flip it around.. The JB weld won't allow that.

Option 2.
If the set screws deformes the tube, the magazine follower may stick....
But if the tube does not deform then I like this option better than number 1 because it is renovable....

When you tried the locktite, did you vlen the threads both on the tube and in the receiver?.. gotta be free of oils...use degreaser carb cleaner, alchohol....BTW I used red Locktite

Good luck..

Last edited:
Yes, did clean both receiver and magazine tube threads with power blast soaked rag.

My second idea, with using the set screw idea, I came up with the modification to that idea: after drilling and tapping the receiver, then screw the mag tube back in, mark where the hole lines up to the tube, then drill a depression that the set screw locks to without crimping or pinching the mag tube...

The blue Loctite should work. Clean threads in and out real well and make sure they are oil and old Loctite free. Then apply NEW Loctite if the bottle you have is over 5 years old. Alternately you can use red Loctite (which is what Mossberg uses) which should do the trick. To remove tube at a later date, just take a heatgun and heat the receiver a little and it should unscrew just fine. Do NOT put a set screw or JB weld...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

I would clean the power blast with soapy water and reapply. Stuff doesn't stick well to anything that has any bit of lubricity to it.

If blue Loctite doesn't work, I'd use red. Most of the shotguns need to be heated up before you can remove the tubes.

Something is wrong.

What do the threads look like? Stripped? Cross-threaded?

The original mag tube may have been cross threaded, by evidence of the shavings similar to a coil spring. The threads still bite, appear good (small mirror checked), and the tube spins on to the reciever fine.

I'm resorting to a more aggressive solution.

(Btw, this 930 is a s/n of AF0035XX, so I'm guessing it's about 10 years old)

It was FILTHY when I got it, guessing it was abused, and stopped running when it dried up and started jamming, so they dumped it off on the LGS.

I picked this one up because my woman loves MY 930, 28" bbl, which I also have a cantilever slug barrel . I wanted a turkey barrel for tight grouse brush, she wanted a 930 slug chucker

For the price of a turkey barrel, she got the gun, I bought her a cantilever barrel, and now waiting on her red dot to arrive. But that mag tube has to be locked. Hell or high water.

I probably should have updated. I did go with the JB Weld route, and 50 high brass rounds later, it's holding solid.

I know, 'should have used red loctite'.

It didn't work

It takes 550 degrees heat to bust red loctite loose, and 600 or so for JB Weld. That much heat will fry the camo dip of the reciever anyways.

I put a new mag tube on, so it won't need replacement for a very long time. My 930 (the 930 in question is my woman's gun) is 4 years of and had a couple / few thousand of rounds from clays, birds, and sabot slugs through it, still not showing unusual wear on the magazine tube.

I wanted the putty like properties of JB Weld to fill in gaps that I am sure were present in the threading of the reciever.

I'd call this case closed.

Back