• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Survival food

John, in the past I've used your recipe and it works well. We always carry three or four types of fire starters in our vehicles plus a fully stocked emergency kit. Pays to be prepared especially if you're living in more remote areas or places with bad weather.

Regards

We have surely morphed to fire !!! LOVE IT !!!
Lets do,this : if,you cannot root thru my packs and start a fire you surely need to stay home with momma and wait for FEMA :laugh:.
You will find one bag with a bic and a cheap magnesium block/Ferro rod and a magnifying glass lots of flammable material to get ya going even in rainy time. You will also find my favorite a tin with fire steel and flint or quartz(local to my area), charcloth of course, fuzzy rope, and birch bark, cotton cloth for,making more char. LEARN STEEL AND FLINT !! In pick are two diff steel kits one is home made from an old file, cheap and does work, however , the commercial made steel is better and more comfy.
Ps CHARCLOTH will make ya look like a pro ! Try a magnifier on regular tinder or cloth, tiresome....try charcloth almost instant ember.
Some would say overkill, my fire kits, I say you tote what you want il do the same. Nothing on trail or off is better comfort for me than fire, except maybe a nice long legged show girl and ive yet to run across one where I tread alone.
Perhaps someone on forum knows friction fire ?? I do not currently but will be adding that arrow to quiver hopefully weekend of the 14th at a gathering in central Ga of crazy woods folk.
0402191214_20190402123001318.jpg

Know this thread has diverged from the original topic but certainly contains great information.

I have one more related add. It's a candle lantern. I've used one of these for years and with proper ventilation one will warm the inside of a vehicle or a tent in a survival situation. Given enough time you can even heat a small container of water for tea or soup. But remenber to be careful to have proper ventilation if using in a closed space.

The candles last a long time and easy to carry spares.

Here a link to one offering.

https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Original-Collapsible-Candle-Lantern/dp/B00BMMF83O

That brown jute twine in Post #22 is waterproof after being triple braided then dipped in melted paffifin. Not soaked, just dipped. It strips/frays apart with no effort and ignites great. Even after a long dunking in water. And it burns for a few minutes.

Ever seen what puffy dried cattail material from a stream or ditch does when struck with a ferro rod?

I cheated several years ago, and bought some commercial Tinderquick. I keep a few pieces stuffed into my knife sheath. Takes a spark real well. I keep a Doans fire striker on the lanyard of my Buck 143.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

9volt battery and steel wool is also in my BOB.... The ferro, mag glass, matches in waterproof container, and cotton balls with Vaseline are also in there. Don't want to be needing fire and can't make one.

P.S. I checked my bag after I posted. I have a D Cell battery and the steel wool.

Last edited:
I liked that you mentioned Vaseline coated cotton balls.

We have our own firestarter recipe that was based off of that but it's a little different.

We use Vaseline, sawdust and dryer lint all mashed up together. It looks awful but burns for several minutes.

We call it "GUNK".

A pinch will burn about 5 minutes altogether and longer than a cotton ball soaked in kerosene and will even light if it's a little damp. I never tried lighting it really wet. I'm sure the inner tube will light when wet too though.

I have used something similar when camping in the mountains but I switched from sawdust to chain saw chips. They burn longer especially if you soak them in kerosene first.

The other thing we carry in our emergency/survival kits are wooden clothes pins. While they have many uses they make excellent kindling for starting fires. Simply take your knife and chop up a single wooden clothes pin and you will always have enough dry material to start a fire. No need to deal with damp material. Plus the clothes pin spring wire has many uses.

Regards

Like what?

Using your multitool can straighten it out and use the wire for needed repairs to gear, equipment or vehicles. I've used them to make an "s" hook for hanging things like lanterns or candle lights inside tents or vehicles. Plus to hang wet gloves to dry from a string line.

Using your imagination is key.

Regards

Enough lite weight material for tinder to last several people Screenshot_2019-04-10-21-42-57.png several lifetimes. Yes ya can shave your own, for 5 bucs I forgo displaying my knife skills and put a handful or two in a zippy. Yes its cheating , i support that.

When I was a kid in boy scouts we would use an old cardboard egg carton and gently press dryer lint into the egg slots. Then we would take all the old crayon bits from our siblings and melt them down and gently fill each slot till they were solid with wax and lint. Let it cool and now you have twelve fire starters in a convenient tear off package.

i like to keep half dozen mre cases on hand. seems i bought them when we had hurricaine sandy so they were a few years old. i decided to sell them on ebay since pandemic sales are easy. i have newer ones on order as replacements. will sell them the next disaster time. i really hope i never need them...but thats why i buy them i guess.

prepare for the worst and hope for the best?

Back