• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camp stoves and lanterns

Ok sorry gents, I know I'm OCD/manic etc....
Final for the now, on the M1950. The can idea was superb, went to town bought green beans and stew generic of course fed to the pigs. Perfect fit, need to come up with a strap or something maybe just a cinch sack.
I'm also keeping lid from large can added some holes to use as strainer if pasta in big can as a pot, small top can for nice cup or bowl. Pretty cool, doubt Il persue the original canister $$$, i kinda like the 3 dollar cook set. May Fab a handle at some point. Did, I mention its a flippin rocket when shes atomizing fuel. Also, arms acomodate full size pot or pan.0215191817_HDR.jpg 0215191825_HDR.jpg 0215191825a_HDR.jpg 0215191832_20190215183416272.jpg 0215191832_HDR.jpg

I remember back in boy scouts, we made a small cook stove out of a coffee can. Almost impossible to find metal coffee cans anymore. I should make one to show the daughters

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I remember back in boy scouts, we made a small cook stove out of a coffee can. Almost impossible to find metal coffee cans anymore. I should make one to show the daughters

Yes sir, good ole hobo stove is really hard to beat.

Would you make yours open end up, or down? I seem to remember making ours open end down, with plenty of ventilation holes around and through the top (can bottom). Seems the interwebs does open end up. But then they're sticking rods through holes to make a cook surface.

Would you make yours open end up, or down? I seem to remember making ours open end down, with plenty of ventilation holes around and through the top (can bottom). Seems the interwebs does open end up. But then they're sticking rods through holes to make a cook surface.

Ive always done open end up, and vs rods I've been cutting and bending little tabs to accommodate various cups/pots, I do put a hole about 3/4 in bottom also so if I place on something I get really good air flow. Great th8ng excitement all ya want cost nothing for fun.0226191007a_20190317074247791.jpg 0226191008a_20190317074041536.jpg

The hobo stoves I've made, I make 3 good sized holes at the bottom (cut the bottom clean thru and off) making it a 3 legged can, ....with 3 bottom air vents. Then make a sizeable hole along the top side. The top side hole allows you to feed the fuel in from the topside,when you have your pot on, rather than trying to shove it in your bottom vent holes.

With no bottom, you;re done cookin', fire's out, pick up the stove, ashes remain and your ready to go.

No thats home grown Bama iron, from the Birmingham stove and range company.
Id sure like a couple Gris though super smooth but $$$

Griswold used to be highly sought after at auctions and estate sales. Not sure if that still holds true or not. I would think iron made in Bama would be of excellent quality as well.

I'm am back home from Bama, Dads old Coleman I couldnt find, id accused every kid of,absconding with was located this weekend. Happy happy. Have a peek its a 425 C with the wire legs, I grew up on this one when he was home. Then used myself for,years. It could use a restoration, I think son can do it when I pass. 0408191754.jpg 0408191754c.jpg 0408191738a_HDR.jpg 0408191813_HDR.jpg I'm actually doing a pre camp today and tommorow getting set for a 5 day lil truck camp at Ga Bushcraft gathering. Just me the K5 and the old stove etc... Simple truck camp is so,easy and relaxing. Looking forward to,the meet up. I hope to add wood friction fire to my abilities this weekend, we shall see.

Not camping, or surviving, but the kids wanted hotdogs.

62cacf389041cb5d95b94d78d08ab416.jpg

Live it @deiselmudder what a great pic, love some dogs and keeping gear in operating condition , win win

Last edited:
I remember as a kid having one of those clotheslines with multiple twine between two cross beams. Don't know what you called them, but you could hang out like four loads of laundry at once.

We'd clothespin a blanket on top like a roof, then 4 more for the walls, and sleep in the yard.

In our minds, we were in the Canadian tundra, or the Alps, or the African savanna.

A stove on the back porch is just the same.

Back