• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who's using the OR3GUN spacer in their 930 SPX?

Misery930

.270 WIN
I just bought one of the magnum rated spacers because I've had to clean some rust off of the magazine tube a few times now. This past week, I stripped the whole tube and blued it again. I mostly shoot target loads and it cycles them fine but slugs and buckshot really seem to beat the gun up. What's your experience with this spacer? Aside from maybe making cleaning easier, are there any other benefits to using this?

I'm running a full set of OR3GUN parts in my 930. I have not been shooting it a lot of late, I use it primarily for hunting, but have nothing bad to say about their products.

I did not have many issues with the gun before installing the parts and have had zero issues since.

I bought the parts because I like to tinker and wanted to help out a sponsor. I continue to use and recommend them because they made a good gun even better.

I got the spacer today which came VERY fast and I dig it. I notice immediately that the full length of the old part contacted the magazine but the OR3GUN spacer only touches on the front and rear of it. Seems like a better design than what was on it before so we'll see if I notice any difference in shooting it. I guess I'll need some long term use to decide if it was really worth the $50 but this gun is not going anywhere so I'll let you know.

I've been to the range twice now, put about 100 rounds through the 930 and the results have not been good. I lost patience and didn't shoot it much today because I've probably had more malfunctions since adding this OR3GUN spacer than I had in the previous years I've owned the gun. The new spacer weighs more than the original despite having all those holes in it so it seems to be affecting the gun's ability to cycle reliably. Same gun, same ammo I've been using and the only change is the new spacer. Worst of all, it's not making it run any cleaner or preventing rust/carbon buildup on the magazine tube. I still had just as much of a mess under there as I always do.

What length barrel do you have on your 930?

Are you shooting low velocity rounds? Cheap rounds?

Did you try various types of ammo in order to determine if the issue is with the gun or the ammo? Some guns just do not like some ammo. This is less common in shotguns than rifes in my experience but does happen sometimes. Some companies use softer/thinner brass to shave cost and this often causes tbe hulls to stick, etc.

There have been issues particularly with the SPX and short barreled models and some low velocity rounds not generating enough gas to cycle reliably.

I also replaced the recoil spring and added an adjuster to mine to furthur fine tune it to how heavy a load I'm shooting(once again, i didnt really have any particular issue, just trying to make it a little better)

I hate to recommend adding any other parts or spending more money until the core issue is found. Nothing worse than throwinh money around and still not resolving the issue; I've done that more times than I can count.

@OR3GUN and suggestions?

What length barrel do you have on your 930?

Are you shooting low velocity rounds? Cheap rounds?

Did you try various types of ammo in order to determine if the issue is with the gun or the ammo? Some guns just do not like some ammo. This is less common in shotguns than rifes in my experience but does happen sometimes. Some companies use softer/thinner brass to shave cost and this often causes tbe hulls to stick, etc.

There have been issues particularly with the SPX and short barreled models and some low velocity rounds not generating enough gas to cycle reliably.

I also replaced the recoil spring and added an adjuster to mine to furthur fine tune it to how heavy a load I'm shooting(once again, i didnt really have any particular issue, just trying to make it a little better)

I hate to recommend adding any other parts or spending more money until the core issue is found. Nothing worse than throwinh money around and still not resolving the issue; I've done that more times than I can count.

@OR3GUN and suggestions?

It's the 18" SPX model. I have a 50 caliber ammo can full of these Aguila target loads that I've been shooting for a while and the only problems I've had with it were these past 2 trips to the range after adding the marine spacer. I just put the factory setup back on it. I see no reason to spend more money trying to fix a problem I didn't have until I started messing with the stock gas system.

How do the rings on your piston look? If they haven't been removed from the piston and cleaned in a while they can build up and start dragging things down.

Can you take a picture of the magazine tube with your gas system components off? A fairly common issue with the 930 involves the secondary system scoring the magazine tube when the barrel is removed/replaced and it can cause gas to bleed past.

Have you had the recoil system apart? How does your plunger look? Depending on round count, this can be causing drag if your spring end is eating at your factory plunger.

We've got over 4 years worth of MSTs out there and we've never seen one responsible for the gun running worse. We can help you work out what's really going on with it.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

I have 2 18" SPXes, with OR3Gun components, including the spacer tubes. Just under 1000 logged rounds, the majority light target, but both right at 250 00 and slug, no FTF/FTE/light strikes, etc., on either one.

When you say you have rust on your tube- I'm going to say that's a big part of your problem. Once you have corrosion and/or carbon build up, you'll start having problems. The JM Pro NiBO gas piston is a good investment, as is the JM Pro NiBO mag tube (unless you get a surplus stainless tube, as I mentioned elsewhere). If you have the blued gas piston, and if you have rust or carbon in the rings, they won't be able to move and flex to get a good seal. Add gunk around the tube, and things get worse.

Hot blue is very different from swab-on blue. Unless you tanked your mag tube, the bluing won't be deep enough to give real protection, hence the rust you see. The spacer tube allows blow-off of moisture, using the excess gas. On a coated, or deep blued tube, that works well. On bare steel, or a "shallow" blued tube, it will cause rapid oxidation, as some of the moisture is rapidly dried on the tube, which in turn adds to build up and drag.

Please don't get me wrong, I really like the 930SPX, but Mossberg made it an entry level tac gun. The shorter barrel creates some issues that the bird & field guns won't have, and it's not like any major departments have adopted them and run tens of thousands of rounds. 3 gunners have,:ripper: but they generally make some mods that you and I probably wouldn't, and even then, without a corporate push to make OEM changes, by this time the base platform is a bit lacking. I like the variable gas system. I like the relative availability of parts. I like the relative low cost of spare parts. A Stoeger 3000 would be an alternative, but can't accommodate the range of loads the 930 can, so...

OR3Gun is a better tech source than Mossberg Customer Service (God bless 'em), so their advice is good.:read:

Back