• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gas piston cleaning

Blaster

.22LR
I just purchased a 930 JM pro tactical class. I've been informed that the gas piston in this particular model has a nickel boron coating. So my question is. Is it safe to soak the whole gas piston in hopes #9 over night? I don't wanna damage the coating..

you can soak that thibg all night and not hurt it ....mine gets caked up real bad and is a bear to get clean

Ed's Red you can make yourself for about ten bucks a gallon, enough to last your natural lifetime with four simple ingredients. Great for soaking gas pistons since at that price you can pour it into a deep receptacle and drop parts in. Cleans the heck out of lots and lots of gun parts. Won't strip finishes, is plastic safe, and even prevents rust for a little while.

Look it up. I leave out the fifth ingredient (lanolin).

Or check out http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Hoppes #9 is pretty expensive for a few ounces so I quit using it except for removing copper. Everything else gets Ed's Red.

I keep it in Prego spaghetti sauce glass jars and soak parts in the jar all the time and re-use the cleaner until it's really really dark.

If you want to reduce cleaning, and get the ultimate long term reliability get an SBE Precision Products stainless steel competition piston. Not only do they not corrode at all, but the new piston significantly lengthens cleaning intervals, and makes cleaning very easy since it only uses a single outer piston ring. The picture below is after 2000 shells fired without cleaning.

3-150x150.jpg

Back