• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SAFETY ALERT: Rossi revolvers may fire if dropped

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
https://www.rossisafetynotice.com/

Rossi is issuing a voluntary safety warning on .38 Special and .357 Magnum revolvers made between the years 2005 and 2017 that may have a condition that could cause, under certain circumstances, the revolver to fire if dropped

This Safety Warning covers .38 Special and .357 Magnum revolver models R351, R352, 461, R462, R851, R971, and R972 with serial numbers beginning with the letter Y, Z, or A through K.

Rossi is developing inspection and repair solutions. Rossi will make every effort possible to ensure Rossi Revolvers will be inspected, serviced if necessary, and returned to customers in a prompt, timely fashion.

Issues underlying this Safety Warning are currently pending before the court in a proposed class action lawsuit pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida styled Burrow v. Forjas Taurus, S.A., civil action file no. 1:16-cv-21606-EGT

SEARCH YOUR SERIAL NUMBER

SEARCH
IF YOUR SERIAL NUMBER IS FOUND, STOP USING YOUR REVOLVER IMMEDIATELY AND FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS SO WE CAN INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REPAIR YOUR REVOLVER.

ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN:
Stop using your revolver immediately.

Call 855-982-8787 for assistance.

If you no longer have this revolver, please inform current owner of this notice.

We appreciate your business and value you as a customer.

Rossi revolver warning and settlement

https://www.rossirevolversettlement.com/

Welcome to the Information Website for the Rossi Revolver Settlement

A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit claiming that certain Rossi brand revolvers are defective in that they could unintentionally fire when dropped. The Defendants Forjas Taurus, S.A., and BrazTech International L.C. (doing business under the brand “Rossi”) issued a warning about these safety concerns in September 2018. Rossi, however, denies all allegations of wrongdoing and liability alleged in the lawsuit, and the Court has not decided who is right. The parties have agreed to settle.

The Settlement includes owners of Rossi brand .38 Special and .357 Revolver models R35102, R35202, R85104, R97206, R97104, R46202 and R46102—made between January 1, 2005, and December 31, 2017 (called the “Class Revolvers”). Anyone who was prompted to visit this website (including distributors and dealers), if you have sold or otherwise transferred a Class Revolver to someone else, please inform the current owner.

The Settlement establishes an “Enhanced Warranty” allowing current or future owners to send in their Class Revolvers for inspection, repair if necessary, certification, and cleaning, all free of charge (including shipping, labor, and parts). To take part in the Enhanced Warranty, you must follow the instructions on RossiSafetyNotice.com to begin the process and obtain a shipping label for your Class Revolver. Additionally, each Class Member who takes advantage of the Enhanced Warranty and files a valid claim, when claims are available, will receive a $50 cash “Inconvenience Payment.”

THE SETTLEMENT DOES NOT INCLUDE CLAIMS FOR PERSONAL INJURY.

These rights and options–and the deadlines to exercise them–are explained in the Notice and FAQ.

Your Legal Rights and Options in This Lawsuit
Take Advantage of the Enhanced Warranty
Although the Court has yet to grant Final Approval to the Settlement, you can take advantage of the Enhanced Warranty immediately. Your Class Revolver is immediately eligible for inspection, repair if necessary, certification, and cleaning, all free of charge (including pre-paid shipping, labor, and parts). To take part in the Enhanced Warranty, you must follow the instructions on RossiSafetyNotice.com to begin the process and obtain a shipping label for your Class Revolver.

Submit a Claim
The Claim Period has not opened. The Claim Period will open only after the Court gives Final Approval to the Settlement Agreement. The Claim Period will remain open for one year.

Ask to be Excluded
Get no payment. The only option that allows you to sue the Defendants on your own over the claims resolved by this Settlement.

Object
Write to the Court about why you do not like the Settlement.

Do Nothing Get no payment and do not get your Class Revolver inspected and/or repaired. Give up rights to bring another lawsuit against the Defendants over the claims resolved in this Settlement

I had a Virginian Dragoon in 44mag single action fire when dropped once. No kidding. I don't know how it went off. I don't pretend to know what occurred.

It (inside the belt and holster) was stuffed down in the pouch on the back of the passenger seat. The top of the gun around the grip was sticking out at the top.

I drove over a set of railroad tracks which were rougher than I expected, the gun rolled out, turned upside down, struck a floor jack in the floorboard of the truck, fired, sending a bullet through the rear passenger window shattering it.

I always kept the leather retaining strap buckled around the hammer, so it should not have inadvertently got bumped into half cocked.

I sincerely do not know what happened to have caused it.

But it was traded off the same day.

I had a Virginian Dragoon in 44mag single action fire when dropped once....
I always kept the leather retaining strap buckled around the hammer, so it should not have inadvertently got bumped into half cocked.

I sincerely do not know what happened to have caused it.
It may have been uncocked. Blow to hammer spur could dent primer.

It was uncocked. I never carried it cocked or half cocked.

I had not thought of that possibility.

Nevertheless, it scared the crap out of me, certainly hurt my ears inside the confines of a pickup truck cab, and costed me about $125 for a new piece of glass.

Cartridges in the cylinder, may slam back against the frame and fire. That's just a few thousandths, but . . .

Minor irregularities around the firing pin hole, or any chunk of grit there can be enough to ding the primer.

Sometimes the primer can back out a bit from the impact.

Put those 3 together, and like the Twilight zone, BANG.

At least that is my theory . . .

OR, Maybe you had a sensative primer.

That is why SA Revolvers were carried with the hammer over an empty chamber. [So I'm told.]

You keep the 6th cartridge in you shirt pocket. That is where we get the legend of Barney Fife.

You realize I'm just making all this stuff up because it's 4 a.m. and I can't sleep?

A lot of crazy ideas happened between 3 and 4 a.m.....

Well you know that Legends only have a grain of Truth . . . ;)

Oh, I'm sure he didn't make the ammo. Just used his name to make money off of it. FWIW, I didn't purchase the ammo. Like I said, it came with the gun. So, that's what I had in it.

Rough Rider .22 SA revolvers have a "transfer bar" type of device to prevent this. I think many others do now, as well...

Back