• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (May 2019) (Small Caliber Carry)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

What is the smallest caliber that is acceptable to you for carrying (open or concealed) with the lives of loved ones on the line?

Think you must first define the threat.

For two legged threats I'd select 9mm

For those of us who deal with four legged threats on a daily basis (bears, cougars, etc.) I'd select 10mm

In both cases my ammunition of choice is Underwood Xtreme Penetrator

Regards

.22lr.

Any gun is beter than no gun.

I sure agree, any gun is better than no gun. In your opinion, do you think a .22 LR is a powerful enough round for when it gets ugly.

Think you must first define the threat.

For two legged threats I'd select 9mm

For those of us who deal with four legged threats on a daily basis (bears, cougars, etc.) I'd select 10mm

In both cases my ammunition of choice is Underwood Xtreme Penetrator

Regards

Thanks for covering both options...I had in mind the 2 legged variety of critter. I should have been more clear.

I sure agree, any gun is better than no gun. In your opinion, do you think a .22 LR is a powerful enough round for when it gets ugly

My EDC is a G19 with a mag of Winchester Ranger T-Series 127gr +p+ .

When it gets ugly I hope I have access to something bigger than a handgun.

What is the smallest caliber that is acceptable to you for carrying (open or concealed) with the lives of loved ones on the line?

If I were unarmed and my family and I were endangered, I would accept any caliber offered to me.

But seriously, I'd pick 9mm minimum.

I'm with scoop. For comfort in carrying, I am a big fan of 9mm. Everyone here knows that. 38 special being a close 2nd, but we all know that ballistics wise, they're real close. I give 9mm the nod for greater capacity (usually).

But given the question, would either be 9mm or 45acp. Not necessarily in that order.

I think people to too much emphasis on carrying a big gun over one they shoot well. I like the 9mm because I shoot it better than I do a 40/45 and it has better capacity.

Carry what you shoot well and have confidence in.

I still think the PMR 30 is a bad ass defensive gun. 30 rounds of 22mg is formidable wall of defense.

Also the newer 380 rounds are pretty good. No reason for anyone to cary a gun they can't control.

I still think the age old 38 special is just fine. I used to have a featherlight 357 that I loaded with 38 special +p because the 357 was just to painfull to shoot in such a small light gun.

Realistically most attackers are going to turn and run as soon as the first shot is fired. The ones that don't are going to be trouble regardless of what you carry and where shot placement is going to win.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here based on the responses I'm seeing.

For me I carry at a minimum .38-Special but technically the smallest caliber I carry is 9mm (.355"). :)

Back