• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX - 3" 15 pellet 00 buck loads

RDub

.22LR
Hi

Picked up a new 930 SPX and having a ball with it.
I wanted to see what these 3" 15 pellet shell were all about. Had four different loads to try.
Shooting a Mossberg 930 SPX with an 18" barrel. Factory sights.

The gun is currently sighted in for slugs so the patterns are just a bit right.

Winchester XB12300
Remington 12HB00
Federal F13100
Rem Ultimate Defense 12HB00HD

Shot two different distances. Seven yards (21 feet) and fourteen yards (42 feet)
The 7 yard rounds were put in the head and the 14 yard rounds were put in the 12" circle.

Also chronographed each shot with an Oehler 33, screens centered at 10' from muzzle.

All in all they all did pretty much the same thing.. The Federals came the closest to the advertised velocity.. Which could most likely be attained in a longer barrel. The recoil of the Federal round was pretty brutal, even with a gas operated gun.

All these have conventional wad columns so the spreads are fairly typical. Anyway that was fun.

DSC02983-sized.jpg

Win-sized.jpg

Rem-sized.jpg

Fed-sized.jpg

Rem-Ult-Def-sized.jpg

IMG-20190519-152501592-sized.jpg

Looks like the gun is doing what it's supposed to do. I respect anyone that takes the time to test and pattern different shells. Good job on that !!!

Your shooting bench looks like it would be pretty brutal on the eardrums though. Even with muffs.

Hello John A.
This post was supposed to go in the 'Mossberg 930 Auto loader' section. I discovered it wound up here, so I posted again in the Mossberg 930 section. Any way this could get deleted here and moved there? Thanks..

If you mean the Federal 'Flight Control' wad.. No. All of these use conventional wadding.

I've got a buddy who just ordered a case of 3" Flight Control #00 and he's saving me a couple of boxes. I'm anxious to get to the range and compare them to standard 3" #00. I've tried std 2-3/4" Winchester and Remington #00 at 15 & 25 yds and I was disappointed in the pattern spreads. At 25 yds, I was only getting 3 or 4 pellets in the silhouette torso. This was using my 18.5" Cylinder Bore breacher bbl.

Back