• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning from soggy Oklahoma. Sunshine at the present time, 68 degrees. More rain last night for a while. Hopefully that will be the last for a couple of days. Hopefully things will stabilize soon and then start receding.

We have a graduation party for the my girlfriends grand daughter. She graduated from college last week. We will be two conservatives on a small island in the liberal swamp. . .

If you get button-holed, just talk about how wonderful the NEW economy is and how FORTUNATELY they'll be able to rebuild Jefferson with local men, instead of cheap imported labor.

That oughta make their heads explode.

:jester:

All of life is either a never ending series of experiments, or it is sorta dull.

But when I work on a new bit of custom made plumbing, until 2 AM, and then it leaks, I curse my fate. "*#*%*#@#*!!! . . .WHY did I try this?"

I have to remind myself this AM, that this might take a couple more attempts, but when Edison finally made a good lightbulb he had made ~ 999 bad ones. They burned up, but he never burned out so I keep churning the brain.

Hero worship is so important sometimes.

Of course Edison was 100% wrong about several things, and most notably the domination of DC over AC.

Or at least until the computer-controlled DC servomotor. That one achievement brought automation to modern levels. It sorta vindicated Edison over Tesla, until you realise their theories were conjoined by science to become more than either had imagined back in the early days of electricity.

Modern cars all use them. My new aquarium pump. All those industrial robots I programmed for $$$ back in the 1990's. All the new amazing ones that are 1000x better. Everyone with a cell phone carries them as nano-motors in their hand. The most powerful electric trains use them.

Anyhow, nobody thinks of this stuff outside the business. Soon a DC servo will unlock your gun when the trigger sees your finger. I hope it works as well as the always-on targeting laser. Actually I hope it works better than mine. It wasn't shock resistant.

A late Good Morning to y'all. I had a bit of a mishap this am and was busy in the ER at the local horsepistle. I had my pull cart a bit overloaded and was on the way starting down the steps , pushing the cart and taking my time. I was heading for the ponds a mile away to get some fishin time in...finally. I had my fly fishin pack on top and though I wasn't going to fly fish I needed the tools on it so it was with all my other stuff. The cart slipped and I made a grab on top to steady it, and one hook point was exposed in the fly holder where I had 3 leaders ?secured?. I felt the hook bite and I was in the middle of going down the 4th step. 4 up or 4 down, take my pick. The hook was attached to a leader and the cart was pulling the hook in deeper. I managed to get to the top and then I had to root around looking for the snips.

I got the leader cut and tried to pull the hook but it was past the barb. Glad it was only an 8, not one of my catfish hooks. I got my stuff into the apartment and headed to the ER. The doc got the hook out and I stopped on the way home for groceries. For some reason I think the powers are against me and do not want me to have fish. I bought 2 deep fried catfish that were leftover from yesterday plus some cold chicken and other items. I figured if I couldn't go fishing now I might as well buy some.

I got home and put the perishables away in the fridge and nuked 2 wings and the 2 fish. They smelled delicious. I heated up some coffee...I need my coffee when my nerves say I need it...and I needed it. A big 24 oz mug from the VA Canteen...my fave.

I had all my lunch ready to enjoy and dammit if I didn't stumble on the frickin cart wheel and dump all the fish, chicken 2 mini bags of chips and the coffee on to my bed. I still had the mug in my hand and was so PO'd that I heaved the mug into my Levelors and tore the hell out of them. I salvaged the fish and lost the 1 remaining wing and one bag of chips. I did find them after I ate what was salvaged.

I enjoyed it so much that my temperament cooled and I went fishing anyway with a dead left thumb.

The wind was up to 20 mph and my legs and back said stay home but I went anyway. I guess I am just stubborn that way.

I had no luck with the bluegills but I did see several turtles, one of which was a big snapper. Also several crawdad funnels. I will be campin out soon as my thumb quits hurting.

That was one of those awful tales you hate to like.

I used to catch crawdads with a dip net, but have no idea what a crawdad funnel is. Is that like a fish trap?

That was one of those awful tales you hate to like.

I used to catch crawdads with a dip net, but have no idea what a crawdad funnel is. Is that like a fish trap?

It is entertainment if I don't die or go into a coma or something like that. Know what I mean? A funnel is a mud funnel stickin up on a bank or where the ground is saturated. A crawdad burrows down and hides, sometimes for long periods. When conditions are good, or good enough for it to venture out safely it will crawl out and move on, or eat and crawl back in. It is its home away from home.

I found this on the net...it is a mud tunnel or a chimney.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A2KLfSXo8ulczKUAbaBXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA29wZW5zZWFyY2gEZ3ByaWQDMnVad0ozdi5UclNwaFhCLlQ3YUhQQQRuX3JzbHQDMARuX3N1Z2cDNARvcmlnaW4Dc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAzAEcXN0cmwDMTkEcXVlcnkDY3Jhd2Zpc2glMjBtdWQlMjB0dW5uZWwEdF9zdG1wAzE1NTg4MzU5NzY-?p=crawfish mud tunnel&fr2=sb-top&fr=opensearch

Mud Tunnel or a Chimney.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning all. Clear skies and 70. High in the low to mid 80s for us. Hopefully no storms today.

Cadd, I'm sure you'll get all of your tanks going in no time. You have a lot more patience or determination than me.

Hombre, yesterday sounds like one of those days if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck.

Elbert, you doing ok down there ? Looks like the water is not going down soon.

You all have a great day and stay safe.

Good morning all. Clear skies and 70. High in the low to mid 80s for us. Hopefully no storms today.

Cadd, I'm sure you'll get all of your tanks going in no time. You have a lot more patience or determination than me.

Hombre, yesterday sounds like one of those days if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck.

Alerts going off seemed like all night so I`ve been up since 02:30 and we got another .5" of rain last night but no damage and no flooding so It`s all good here, thanks!

Pretty much as you said it. But I did finally get out and get some exercise. It took a lot of sleeping today to wrestle the kinks out but I feel pretty good today. More storms in the forecast so I will be home today. Tuesday I have another treatment, then I am good for a week. 2 more after that. I will be driving along the Iowa 80 corridor. It is called around here Tornado Freeway. I got into one of the frequent storms a few years ago but luckily we found shelter at the hospital. Seems like I lucked out and found another one close by yesterday.

Good morning Mossberg owners .

@meanstreak
Well if I had more determination my motorcycle would be running but the way it's been raining lately I haven't worried about it too much.

This weather is still looking a little bit wet for roof tear off and I have a dumpster coming tuesday, so I hope it dries up.

Lot of poor people on the river are not going to have to worry about re-roofing their house this year because their house is gone. But for the grace of God, there go I.

I read that two idiots in a car tried to jump over and open drawbridge on the Black Bayou. They weren't good at ballistics and basically went straight up and straight down to the bottom of the river. Both bodies and the car were recovered.

There's something about water that makes people do stupid s*** sometimes. Like Run 10 aquariums at once when you're not getting paid for it.

But you would be amazed about certain fish and how much fun they are. Tiny Bettas and big Oscars both recognize me and beg like puppies, while most fish just swim away in fear or just pretend to ignore me, like the catfish.

Oh they get excited at feeding time but it's not the same.

@Elbert Garrett
I think my wife would freak out if she ever saw one of them Mud Bugs out in the yard. I may decide to grow some in a tank at home. I can probably drive out to one of the bait shops outside of town and pick up some live ones cheap.

It is entertainment if I don't die or go into a coma or something like that. Know what I mean? . . .

Yeah you never want to buy a ticket to have Death Stare you in the face.

Not that I haven't paid big ticket prices in that regard!

Good Morning MO's.

That's very nice for such an old one. I'm more from the IH era so I don't know much about those trucks. The body probably lasts longer without all the Silverado trim bits. I never bought one of those because the typical engines all come from Mexico, unless you get a rusty one from the East.

Who makes the engine for the diesel?
6.2 liter Detroit Diesal fairly domestic still in the 80s. Did I 200 mile road round trip,today after church with about 30 miles off road, I'm in love again. Bought fuel for 2.59 gallon in Villanow, Ga pleasant suprise.
As for Silverado, I have a 2002 has the 350 vortex no clue if its Mexican or not, but its gonna flip 200k by fall. Only thing ive done scheduled maintence when it was new under warranty and regular oil changes it still "solid as a rock" . in chevy we trust still

Well as I recall you can rebuild the Detroit Diesel in your barn whereas if you got a caterpillar you are SOL.

But I haven't been around that business since 1980. I did a brief stint as a Teamster back when the federal government cut all the airplane orders, and Engineers all over California were getting laid off.

I was designing tools for a company that made equipment for military aircraft, and the next thing I knew I was greasing dump trucks and skip loaders. But it was a union job and the wages were okay, and I had insurance and a pregnant wife.

I remember taking the sleeves out with a sleeve puller. Once you had it out you could overhaul one in a day and have plenty of time for lunch. Most technical thing about it all was probably scraping the gaskets.

Good mornimg Mossberg Owners.

We have some nice weather coming this week, and the demo on my chimney is beginning. I'm sure not going to miss it. The preliminaries are starting now, so I gotta get out there to "supervise". LOL

Mainly I'm gonna hang back and watch the hammers fly.

Unfortunately my dumpster guy canceled because he won't take asphalt shingles. WTF?
I ordered this for a residential demolition. Was he expecting palm fronds or something?

This may take all frikkin' week of good fishing weather, but it's been a long time coming too.
I have hated this fireplace and chimney for all 17 years of residence.

Good morning (afternoon) all. Nice day today, about 80, windy, and mostly cloudy now. We drove up to the lake yesterday and back today. Visited with some folks last, had a couple of beers. Good nights sleep, lunch down at the ship store, then home.

I hope you all have a safe day.

I'm day trippin to Iowa City tomorrow (Tuesday) for another treatment, and if I can stall long enough I may be able to get in to the Peking Buffet for lunch. But, usually when my appointment is at 9am or so, they usually have me out by 10 and that is an hour before the restaurant opens. I may have to stall em because I really want some Chinese food.

Good Night Mossberg Owners!

We got a good deal of the chimney demolished today. The roof seems very solid except right at the fascia. We've got to replace about 12' of rim joist and maybe two sheets of plywood max.
20190527_100958_resized.jpg
So far the termites don't appear to be terrible, but there was evidence of them. Unfortunately, they're in the header. Fortunately the header can go away and be replaced by a couple studs and short top plates, as the big fireplace opening will be infilled.
20190527_215840_resized.jpg

20190527_101006_resized.jpg

Good morning Mossberg lovers.It's cloudy this morning and 74. The coulds are high at the present, but that is supposed to change later. We are in a severe weather pattern again today. We do not need or want rain. The Keystone dam is realeasing 275,000 cfs at this time. Just a week ago they were up to 108,000 cfs and folks were going there to watch the water as they had not released that amount in over 25 years. What a difference a week can make.

On another weather note, in the past 5 days three different cities that have been home to me have been hit by tornadoes. Jefferson City, MO., Tulsa,OK., and last night Dayton, OH.
On the flip side of that no one I know has been directly affected other than probably an inconvenience trying to move about town until the messes are cleaned up. Thank the lord my friends and family escaped unharmed.

I hope you all have a great day. Keep an eye to the sky.

Gd mrng mssbrg ownrs.
I can see why the Jews got rid of vowels. Saves a lot of chiseling when people already know what you're going to say. ;)

@meanstreak
The weather here has cleared up nicely, but they did have a short tornado watch 50 mi south of us in Tulare.
I was amazed. This is very rare here, having occurred only a few times in the last 45 years. In all that time I don't recall any tornado actually touching down, except the one last fall that tore the roof off some chicken coop.

The demolition continues today, and we should have the chimney completely down and the shingles off. With any luck the dumpster will show up soon. Tomorrow the repairs should be done and the shingles replaced. Thursday we should be placing drywall, etc.

It's kinda like the Twilight zone, seeing all this finally happen.

OK youse guys . . . watch out for high water and big winds!

Good morning MOers. 73 and cloudy with thunderstorms to the southwest of us headed northeast. Hopefully they will not be severe.

The Keystone Dam is now releasing 282,000 cfs, thats 2,154,240 gallons per second.That would cover 6 and a half acres of land with a foot of water every second. levees are leaking in some places, and Arkansas is now feeling the affect as well as Oklahoma.

At Muscogee Oklahoma, yes the same one as the song, the Grand River and the Verdigris River also empty into the Arkansas. All of these rivers drain watersheds in southwestern Missouri and southern Kansas. Anyways, it's a mess and not likely to go away soon.

Hombre, did you get your chinese the other day ? Hope the treatment went well for you/

Cadd, you're going to have a new house before long.That chimney looks to be quite the project.

I hope you all have a great day.

Followupreport...a picture is better than a tho
Good morning MOers. 73 and cloudy with thunderstorms to the southwest of us headed northeast. Hopefully they will not be severe.

The Keystone Dam is now releasing 282,000 cfs, thats 2,154,240 gallons per second.That would cover 6 and a half acres of land with a foot of water every second. levees are leaking in some places, and Arkansas is now feeling the affect as well as Oklahoma.

At Muscogee Oklahoma, yes the same one as the song, the Grand River and the Verdigris River also empty into the Arkansas. All of these rivers drain watersheds in southwestern Missouri and southern Kansas. Anyways, it's a mess and not likely to go away soon.

Hombre, did you get your chinese the other day ? Hope the treatment went well for you/

Cadd, you're going to have a new house before long.That chimney looks to be quite the project.

I hope you all have a great day.

Mean, the treatment went ezpz, but no Chinese. My appointment was at 9 am. I got there at 815. They got me in at 900 exactly and was done at 915. The restaurant opens at 11 am and I wanted to get home. I was in a downpour at 45 mph on I80 East for a half hour then it cleared. When I got to the point at 20 miles from home it poured down again. Another half hour in slow traffic. Luckily no tornadoes. Today it is raining again. 23 of the last 29 days we got rain. The storm I was in started for me in Iowa City and that was the southwest tail of it. When I caught up with the head I was Northeast, headed toward Dewitt Iowa, north of Davenport. I drove just fast enough to catch it at the back and front.

I understand that the entire state of OK is included in the Pres' declared emergency area. This has been a bad year for widespread flooding and high winds. Keep your head down and prayers goin up. I will do the same.

Back