• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Had to use the Cruiser today

My wife and I fish in a really nice little pond, about 6 acres in size, and usually come home with bass and bream. Since we almost always see at least one water mocassin, I used to take a pistol with rat shot, until I tried it out and saw how ineffective it is. So, I took my new PGO 20 gauge Cruiser today, and I'm glad I did. It was a little windy today, and my wife's line got snagged on a bush. When we went to retrieve it, there was a nice specimen of water mocassin, about 4 feet long, and about 4" in girth. I hate killing wildlife, but I was a forester for 36 years, and my rule of thumb is to kill poisonous snakes when you see them, because next time, you may not see them. So, I had the Cruiser loaded with bird shot just for a situation like this, and it handled really well in our little Jon boat. We came home with a nice mess of bass and bream, and no one got hurt.

I never cried or lost sleep over killing a poisonous snake.

I have almost been bitten by venomous snakes. Between them and me, I'll choose me every time.

What we see out here are your standard rattlesnake, and they are all over in these California Hills, so you must be careful at all times.

When we went fishing a couple weeks ago we saw two. I hear you're not allowed to fire a gun from a boat, so I am reduced to smacking them with a paddle to shoo them away.

When I see them swimming in the water I always try to shoo them away from the boat because they will climb on.

Back