• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Machetes

Direct from my prepper stash ;) They are in que for small modifications such as round the edges on the handle a bit with sandpaper and fine tune the sharpening of the blade.

20190105_155231_hd.jpg

IMHO the best machete for the money

I,like the geometry of those blades, they should take a good edge. We run across south American machetes often the sheaths are usually poo poo but easily remedied
Yeah.. these are the basic ones that came along with the machetes. I have planned to make cheats ( inner sheat in kydex with outer in some fabric ) but as with many other things, takes some time to get started and finish :D

Will it get rid of kudzu and keep it from coming back?
I've never dealt with kudzu personally, I understand it's pretty invasive. I can only figure it's like Mulberry for us. Nearly impossible to kill a mulberry tree and it not come back.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

kudzu is awful. Be grateful that you have no experience.

You can kill it with a bulldozer and fire. But their root will often be longer underground than what you can see above ground.

What's wrong with mulberry tree's? I have one near my cabin. It's not very big though. Maybe 6 foot tall. I know very little about them.

kudzu is awful. Be grateful that you have no experience.

You can kill it with a bulldozer and fire. But their root will often be longer underground than what you can see above ground.

What's wrong with mulberry tree's? I have one near my cabin. It's not very big though. Maybe 6 foot tall. I know very little about them.
Around here, (central Indiana) they are very invasive. Easily spread through bird $hit. And will grow in anything, and grow fast. Also hard to kill, either have to dig down and get all the roots, or use a strong vegetation killer. I'm always getting them popping up around the foundation of the houses. And barns.

Are mulberries good to eat?

If not, I have a small one that I'll need to get rid of.

Yeah, they're not bad. Usually get a part of the stem with the berry. I've heard lots of people making pies, jellies, etc. with them. Like raspberries or blackberries. I never eat more than a handful at a time or so.

They are good to eat, check carefully for bugs. I had one 40 years ago. To me the pros (berries), did not outweigh the cons ( birds, especially bluejays,) eat em and leave a mess everywhere, and the trees themselves grow to be a gnarly mess.

I'd remove it and plant blackberries or blueberries.

Ok, so I'll apologize now for the crappy pics. Sorry.

I have an old machete that belonged to my Dad; he found it in the garage of a house we moved into in 1972. He used and abused it for years hiking in the mountains.

IMG_0918.jpg

To my memory this thing has always been rusty and nasty looking. The handle is all gouged to crap and the blade is rusted and pitted. The edge is all messed up. Funny because it wasn't until I soaked it in vinegar overnight and then started wiping that I realized there was actually a slight bevel on it; never saw that before...lol. So I took some 220 grit to it and steel wool after that...

The blade has no markings or stamps that I can see. It appears to be military surplus...I think. But, I'm having trouble verifying that. Some webpage I looked at suggested it was either made by or a close copy of the military machetes made by the Ontario Knife Company. Again, I don't know.

Dimensions:
22" overall
17" blade
2 1/8" W at its widest point

Anyone wanna take a stab at it?

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

F56C8031-B3EE-42C3-91A2-523D543D8FEA.jpeg
AC6F8A1D-21A9-421E-930B-33CF79B40107.jpeg

It doesn’t look a whole lot different from my crappy pics but have been using the Worksharp as sharpener and grinder today.

I started with a hand file to work out all the gouges in the edge. Then spent more time grinding and working the pitting and bits of rust off the blade and in particular the big bevel.

Then I spent some time on the hand grip. Did some sanding and managed to get a lot of the gouges out without changing the shape. Some of the deepest gouges will remain but I think it goes with the patina on the blade.

If anyone has any ideas about where this thing was made or when I’d be really interested to hear. It doesn’t scream homemade to me, given the plastic handle and the fact I know it’s at least as old as I am and older...

Now i got tempted to bring out one of my Tramontina bolos and continue work. I'm sanding the handle and making a continuous/even edge all the way to the tip. Factory edge wasn't all the way and not even. It's soon finished... All by hand ( i have no machines ) so it takes some time. But i got plenty of free time now :D

20200329_160412.jpg

Last edited:
Back