• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Shockwave with Wood.jpg

My latest Shockwave build. 12 Ga. Stainless steel Cerakote, with checkered walnut forend and raptor grip. I've added an oversized metal safety, oversized white bead sight. I replaced the mag follower with an aluminum mag follower and installed a MilSpec metal trigger assembly.

The checkered walnut really gives a great gripping surface.

Thanks for posting! I agree the Black Aces furniture is worth every penny and they are the only ones texturing the grip which makes a big difference - If they made a full actual Marinecote version (not cerakote) I would be doing a similar build -

For now my plan is base Shockwave, Black Aces checkered walnut, a leather strap if I find I need one, short leather sling, Vang Comp safety and SJ Hardware follower, and maybe a brighter bead as you did - I don't mind the polymer trigger group assembly but would consider replacing it with metal to have an "all metal and wood" gun -

Thanks for posting! I agree the Black Aces furniture is worth every penny and they are the only ones texturing the grip which makes a big difference - If they made a full actual Marinecote version (not cerakote) I would be doing a similar build -

For now my plan is base Shockwave, Black Aces checkered walnut, a leather strap if I find I need one, short leather sling, Vang Comp safety and SJ Hardware follower, and maybe a brighter bead as you did - I don't mind the polymer trigger group assembly but would consider replacing it with metal to have an "all metal and wood" gun -

ricky_bobby, I build Mossberg 590 & 590A1s for a hobby, and had a metal trigger assembly available to put in the Shockwave. I definitely would not go to the expense of upgrading to a metal trigger assembly if I had not had one on hand available.

Here's my little not-a-shotgun. More money in accessories than the gun itself cost. I know, I know... it's a sickness!
48267967036_7b1b10300e_k.jpg

48267967241_1a3ef850e0_k.jpg

I started with a Shockwave in FDE, then (front to back):
XS Big Dot Tritium front bead
MagPul MOE fore end
Talon Grips grip tape
InForce WML light on a piece of MagPul rail
Esstac 6-round shotgun cards
KE Arms mount for RMR
MagPul MOE-K grip
Holosun HS507C micro red dot
TacStar AR stock adapter
MagPul MS3 convertable 1 or 2 point sling
SB Tactical SB3 pistol brace

Here's my little not-a-shotgun. More money in accessories than the gun itself cost. I know, I know... it's a sickness!
48267967036_7b1b10300e_k.jpg

48267967241_1a3ef850e0_k.jpg

I started with a Shockwave in FDE, then (front to back):
XS Big Dot Tritium front bead
MagPul MOE fore end
Talon Grips grip tape
InForce WML light on a piece of MagPul rail
Esstac 6-round shotgun cards
KE Arms mount for RMR
MagPul MOE-K grip
Holosun HS507C micro red dot
TacStar AR stock adapter
MagPul MS3 convertable 1 or 2 point sling
SB Tactical SB3 pistol brace

Excellent job Warhammer!

@White Oak 590A1
Something I've been curious about, is the Stainless Cerakote external only or is it applied to internally as well?

The wording on the official blog announcement for the Stainless Cerakoted Shockwave is awkward and sounds almost as if the inside of the reciever and barrel are Cerakoted as well.

@White Oak 590A1
Something I've been curious about, is the Stainless Cerakote external only or is it applied to internally as well?

The wording on the official blog announcement for the Stainless Cerakoted Shockwave is awkward and sounds almost as if the inside of the reciever and barrel are Cerakoted as well.

The stainless (look) CeraKote would be externally applied, just like any other color of CeraKote.

View attachment 21065

My latest Shockwave build. 12 Ga. Stainless steel Cerakote, with checkered walnut forend and raptor grip. I've added an oversized metal safety, oversized white bead sight. I replaced the mag follower with an aluminum mag follower and installed a MilSpec metal trigger assembly.

The checkered walnut really gives a great gripping surface.

Great looking build, but the one thing that bugs me is the way the most rails hang off the receiver at the front. I know that extra length might be needed for mounting a scope, but it's unnecessary for a dot sight or laser and just looks weird, imo. Doesn't anyone make a rail that sits flush with the front end of the receiver? If not, I'd chop it shorter, maybe with a beveled edge, and refinish the cut end. That's a big part of why I went with the KE Arms mount on my build.

Great looking build, but the one thing that bugs me is the way the most rails hang off the receiver at the front. I know that extra length might be needed for mounting a scope, but it's unnecessary for a dot sight or laser and just looks weird, imo. Doesn't anyone make a rail that sits flush with the front end of the receiver? If not, I'd chop it shorter, maybe with a beveled edge, and refinish the cut end. That's a big part of why I went with the KE Arms mount on my build.
Warhammer, I agree. I had this Mesa Tactical rail as a spare part. I'm hoping KE Arms will make a short rail that'll work with Streamlight flashlight/lasers.

I took a look at the Knoxx Breachersgrip for the Mossberg. Here is a photo.

https://op2.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff/o...rg-500-k35002-c-bw-ggr-bgrp-k35002-c-main.jpg
https://op2.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff/o...rg-500-k35002-c-bw-ggr-bgrp-k35002-c-main.jpg
At first look, it appears to be long enough to satisfy the 26" overall length requirement. I did call Blackhawk and asked if the Knoxx Breachersgrip will maintain the minimum 26" length. I was told that he would have to get back to me.

In any case, here are some measurements. Overall length of both my 12ga and my 20ga Shockwaves is 26 5/8". The length of the Raptor grip is 5 1/8". That means, if the Breachersgrip is 4 1/2" (4 5/8" preferred) then the Breachersgrip should be ok to go.

Thanks for this post...solves a problem for mine. Not a fan of the Raptor grip. Going to order this one today! Here's mine for those who have not seen the other thread....

image2.jpeg

Deck, please let us know about the Blackhawk Knoxx Breachersgrip when you get it her up and running. I’m more of a pistol grip dog than a duck’s head grip. I’ve got the Hogue Tamer on my 18” 500, and never have had any issues.

Keep it legal - Dog

472884D9-4142-49D6-89CB-540DDC723316.jpeg FBA93168-6372-48F1-8D1F-4249F3D28807.jpeg D3F2506B-DCCE-46EF-A889-6E72C88B323A.jpeg FEEB12DF-C5E3-457A-90FB-35D3B7BF8C96.jpeg C1BF8AF8-8CBD-4376-BE19-2438DEFE83EE.jpeg D8DFEBA1-6F2E-492C-92FB-F8E3801FD954.jpeg Mine is a work in process. I had this old plastic heat shield, so I knawed the I.D. out to fit the barrel. I plan to get a Mossberg one and customize it. I’m also going to get a bigger light. The string holding the skull is from my uncle’s WWII leggings (string was broke. I didn’t cut it). The tube is loaded with Federal #1 tactical buck, side saddle: two military grade 00 Buck, two #1 Buck & two segmented slug.

Dog

Attachments

• 2DF48E63-1BAD-4371-BC51-3B1FC22B7258.jpeg
    2DF48E63-1BAD-4371-BC51-3B1FC22B7258.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Nice rig dogfoot! If you cherish the string holding the skull I'd take it off. It will get blown away the first time it enters the danger zone of the muzzle as you are shooting. If it's there for good luck tie it to the bottom front sling attachment slot.

Last edited:
Here we go! Feels MUCH better and has a recoil spring. Will be testing it out tomorrow but since I have had Knox stocks on a couple of rifles I know I will like it. Next up will be a sling, side saddle and hopefully a heat shield.

35954bbf6f838bace01225c26b904bd4.plist

dafaba96c4d36bb46a0d246025ad38f0.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back