• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Something sliding inside the wooden stock

John Drackett

Copper BB
My 464 seems to be fine, except that when I tilt it forward and back, something slides inside the wooden stock and makes a clunk noise. Mossberg suggested I take off the recoil pad and check the tightness of the bolt inside. Has anyone had this problem? It is in the butt end, and definitely not something in the tubular magazine. I have not taken it apart yet. The gun has never been dropped or banged around.

I have found shavings and bits inside of brand new guns but so far never anything big enough to go clunk.

Have you taken off the butt pad yet?

Busy and about to leave town - have not done it yet. Whatever is sliding around is pretty heavy, like a 1/2" metal nut or something. It sounds like the marble inside a can of spray paint.

when you get time to look to see what it is, I think most of us would be curious what it is.

The pad is only held in place by two phillips screws.

I'm leaning toward leprechaun.

Maybe Cherokee little people.

If it's the latter, ask him if he will give my machete sheath back when he's finished with it. Thanks.

I often do put some extra rounds and a cigarette lighter in the stock of my guns because, well, you never know when you might be out and need either one of them.

Wow. I'm really glad you noticed that the bolt holding the stock on wasn't put in right. That would've hurt if the stock and the receiver had've separated while you were shooting it.

Kabam. Right in the face.

Wow. I'm really glad you noticed that the bolt holding the stock on wasn't put in right. That would've hurt if the stock and the receiver had've separated while you were shooting it.

Kabam. Right in the face.
That is true. Even worse if there is an angry hog running around when your gun breaks in half.

The stock seemed to be tight with no wiggle even when the bolt was loose, but it obviously needs to be tight. It took about 15 turns of the screwdriver. I don't think it was screwed in at the factory.

Just got back in town. I took off the recoil pad and look what fell out into my hand! Pretty easy to tighten it up.

I was curious too. I had a Monkey Wards Mossberg 20 ga pump that I had used for years. No problems ever. After about 10 deer seasons I was in my favorite hotspot and just as the sun came up a smallish buck wandered under my treestand and I fired the first shot and the buttstock fell off. It took me 3 more shots to hit the sucker. He was staring around wondering where the noise was coming from about 30 feet away. I eventually got him and took him home. I always figured my wife's boyfriend (seriously) had something to do with that. I had to buy an extension to get to the top of the bolt and snug it in with a little locktight blue juice and it ever loosened up again. It was kinda hard holding my butt on and trying to hold it tight enough to aim. But I got the buck and when I quit fuming I loaded it up and when I pulled out from where I parked my car, one of the ball joints popped and I was stranded out in the boonies and....another long story began. This was back pre-83.

I am glad you got your answer...before you fired it.

Back