• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What ammo have put through your Patriot?

lonestarjeff

Supporter
I haven't had mine long enough to try much variety(although I have stocked up a few)to know what it likes best, but as we all know every barrel has it's peculiar preferences. So far, the only cartridges(30-06) I've put through mine is Winchester 165gr power-point & Remington 180gr core-lokt. I sighted in both the irons at 50yds & the scope at 100yds using the Winchesters.

I don't plan on buying any of the high-end ammo for long range precision since I'm not really set up at the farm for those distances, but I would be curious what the Patriot could do at 2-300yds in 30-06. Plus, I just can't see spending $1.50-2.00 a round for shooting paper or the occasional hog. What I have so far to try other than more of the above is Federal power-shok 165gr, Federal non-typical 150gr, & Monarch 150gr. At the maximum distances I'll likely ever use this rifle I'm sure any of the above brands & weights will be fine, but I'm still curious what game load will group best.

Not a patriot rifle, but a savage. The best groups for mine have come from Hornady projectiles. I ordered from Freedom munitions and got the reman cases loaded with Hornady. Reasonably inexpensive that way to run a higher end load if you were to want to try it. First order ships free. For me it was inexpensive enough to learn and fine tune on that rifle and run enough through it that I’m confident and solid. I didn’t mind running magazine after magazine through it and the cold bore shot is right on target, five round groups are small and easily sub MOA when I shoot resting the rifle on my backpack.

Freedom has applied for bankruptcy, so you'll probably want to find a different source.

I know that chapt 11 allows them to remain in business while things are ironed out in court, but I did read a report last week of a guy who hasn't gotten his order despite being made a month ago, so just throwing that out there.

I did place a small order for a bulk box of 165 gr 9mm bullets from their sister company (xtreme bullets) and received them in about 2 weeks including transit time.

That’s a good point John. I had read that they remain in business and continue to produce ammo but I admit I haven’t ordered anything in awhile.

Just as you mention, they aren’t the only one out there so a little looking may yield some good options.

I had heard of their chapter 11. I've ordered several bulk shipments of handgun ammo from them over the years(& always happy with their product), but never tried their new or reman rifle ammo. Interesting you mention them though, I went to their website friday looking for 30-06 & everything in that caliber is listed as "out of stock".

My patriot .243 was quite happy with Hornadys "bargain" Whitetail Hunter ammo. For a factory loading it shot very well and was consistent at a decent price in this area.

Our local Walmart seems to keep power-shok & core-lokt in various weights in stock, plus some Winchester PP & Fed Fusion....the former is around $17.50, the latter closer to $20. They also carry a couple more premium($25 +). It's always strange to me how prices vary so much from one seller to another.

My patriot is strictly a hunting rifle, and I live in California, so I have to use non-lead ammo. That being said, Hornady Superformance GMX 165gr have the best results out of all the ammos I have tried. I will be trying out Federal Gold Box Copper this year though.

Copper, being a little softer, should have more expansion than lead.

I have a handful of all copper 308 bullets that I have been loading in my blackout that are supposed to be really good hunting bullets.

Back