• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Well I finally bought some ammunition under the new official state of California ammunition registry b s...

That turns out to be not much of a problem and it only cost me $1.

They do some theoretical background check which in my case only took a minute. It took a little while longer because the computer system is not entirely thought out yet, and the poor guy selling the ammo couldn't find the number he was looking for.

Anyhow I found over the course of time that it really does pay to be nice to people that you do business with.

The guy at the local aquarium store has not had a fabulously successful life and in fact about 15 years ago his store burned down and he had to move to slightly smaller quarters.

But he still has a nice little store and I go there all the time because it's only two miles from my house. I bought a few fish from him but mostly what I buy is fish food and supplies.

The stuff is all available cheaper online or at the big box stores but the local stores can't seem to keep the stuff I like fresh. Anyhow I've been in and out of his fish store for 30 years.

He gave me this moving bed filter when I told him I was having a problem with the aragonite sand.

20190718_175721_resized_1.jpg

It has been kicking around his shop for a while because the box is shopworn, but the filter itself is brand new and all the parts are there & I got the media with it.

20190718_175801_resized.jpg

I don't think these things are very popular anymore because one this size which they claim to operate a 300 gallon aquarium is really only good as an accessory filter to a 300 gallon aquarium and not as its main filter.

But essentially this is the same as a reactor for any saltwater treatment you might be doing on your aquarium and I'm going to try it out.

These sell online for about $80.

Good morning Mossberg owners.

We are in the part of the Year where it gets up to about a hundred degrees or more everyday. Humidity is very low however and would be even more except that I water the grass and the trees and 8 fish tanks.

If not for the fish tanks, humidity inside our house would be so low that you would get constant shocks from the carpeting.

Anyhow today I'm going to do some Plumbing onmy new aquarium, and I might go shopping later for a new rifle scope.

It's not going to be the Police Marksman unfortunately. I will probably settle for a high-end hunting scope.

Morning fellas. Day 9 or 10 of mid to high 90s. Today and tomorrow might even reach 100. I don't mind the heat though, it's worth it in exchange for our relatively mild winters.

Rip, I am fortunate for sure. I don't ride as often or as far as I used to, but I still enjoy it as much. Maybe even more.

Cadd, that is quite the span on that aquarium. How much water does that hold ?

Have a great day all.

Howdy folks, I got a cast net via Amazon and plan to test it as soon as I can get out. The heat floors me these days so I will wait till tomorrow. Upper 70s instead of today's 90's. I have a different type coming Monday. I may wait till then to test them both.

Morning folks.
100 deg days are here with some slightly cooler days. 99f yesterday ;)
Typical desert weather. 100% clear and sunny.

@meanstreak It's 125 gal. 6' long, 24" tall, and 18" front to back.

@hombre243 how big is this net? I've never had more than a dip net here.

I had to move the tank twice to enlarge the holes in my house. I knew I would have to do this.
I have to carve out a bit of siding wood and I can start plumbing.

Morning folks.

@hombre243 how big is this net? I've never had more than a dip net here.

Cadd, I ordered 2 different types. One is 8' diameter spread out, the other is 16' spread out. The 16' dia. net has an aluminum ring on it to aid newbies like me in learning how to throw a cast net. I ordered it because I ordered the one without the ring the day before thinking it too was an ez throw type. I may send it back...but it is short and it too has its own style assist in the form of a belt clip that holds the lead line when you are preparing to cast and releases the line as yo cast, helping the weights to spread more uniformly. I got the smaller net yesterday. The larger net comes Monday. I am stalling waiting for the temps to go down.

I won't use these for fishing. They are for catching bait fish, preferably sunnies, for use for flathead cats. Shad or skipjack work well also.

Cadd, this is the 4' radius net. It is also the length of the net.

20190720_142050.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. That looks good for baitfish.

Good Morning Guys.
I might get some water in the new tank today.
I gotta go make some sawdust before it gets hot.

I don't like to make a racket before 8AM.

But it's gonna be 100+ today, so early birds avoid the heat.

Good Monday morning Mossbergers. A cold front went through last night along with a line of thunderstorms. We got about an inch or so of much needed rain. This morning the temps are in the 60s instead of the 80s of the past 10 days or so. The high today and for the next c.ouple of days should be mid 80s.

My oldest son and family are driving down from Omaha tomorrow. We'll meet em at the lake and spend a few days there. They are heading home Friday.

Cadd, that's quite the tank. Any particular type of fish going to live there ?

Hombre, those are quite the nets you have there. Are you using them in a creek or bigger ?

Fellman, glad to see you back.

Have a great day and be safe my friends.

Good Monday morning Mossbergers. A cold front went through last night along with a line of thunderstorms. We got about an inch or so of much needed rain. This morning the temps are in the 60s instead of the 80s of the past 10 days or so. The high today and for the next c.ouple of days should be mid 80s.

My oldest son and family are driving down from Omaha tomorrow. We'll meet em at the lake and spend a few days there. They are heading home Friday.

Cadd, that's quite the tank. Any particular type of fish going to live there ?

Hombre, those are quite the nets you have there. Are you using them in a creek or bigger ?

Fellman, glad to see you back.

Have a great day and be safe my friends.

Hi Streak. I have several places I want to try the nets. I have never used a cast net so I have to find someplace free of snags. I will go practice at a park or boatramp. Then I will see how many fish I can catch with a net. I will post a few pics if I get lucky. Rather, if I get any. UM, if I get something fishy...stop me any time.

Mornin' guys. I'm off to the store for more plumbing bits. I used up stuff I had bought for my drain traps.
I had to move the tank about 6 times to enlarge the penetrations in my wall. It looks good now, with no pressure on the plumbing and a nice caulk space so things can move and settle.

@meanstreak
This tank will be for the African cichlids in my 55g office tank. I have a very large zebra male breeder, a huge peacock, another large zebra, a golden mbuna, a female hybrid breeder, a yellow lab, and 7 large fry. There will also be an upside down catfish and a bristle-nose pleco. Probably one of the big male plecos will go there too. They are both in the patio tank.

My brackish fish will move up to the 55g, and I will sell off their 30.

Good morning all. We drove up to the lake yesterday afternoon. My oldest son and family will be here mid afternoon. They will be here till Friday.

This morning brings clear skies and 67 with no wind. Beauty of a morning.

I hope you all have a great day.

Back