• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MVP .5.56mm barrel swap possible???

Guys I have a Mossberg MVP Predator, early model with a 20" "sporter" style barrel. I have a couple things to state. First off the rifle is a tack driver, especially for a guy like myself that gets sub MOA at 200 yards and uses factory ammo (have not the space yet to get into reloading). I probably have close to 800 rounds through the gun and currently has a Redfield 3-9x 40mm Revolution scope. I should have gone 4-12 but eh perhaps later. The gun is INCREDIBLY accurate. One thing I was considering though, and I dont know if its possible through Mossberg is to change to a 24" med. bull barrel. I want to thread on a flash hider and my barrel did not come threaded. It also is the thinner profile sporter model. BUT I MUST SAY THIS: "and this is pretty much amazing in my reasoning) but the MVP 5.56 sporter barrel is actually THICKER than the barrels on my Savage 110 in .30-06 AND my WWII Mauser 98K. The sporter barrel is a full 1/8th of an inch thicker at the crown than the barrels on my .30 cal. and 8mm! So it brings me back to my circular reasoning, do I actually NEED a med. bull barrel? I see all MVP models now have them, and none except for the FLEX (last I checked) still had a sporter barrel available. I called Mossberg and they said they do not sell barrels nor do they do barrel swaps even on their own rifles. That struck me as odd and Mossberg's customer service is not the most knowledgeable regarding their own products as I have come to find out so maybe it is possible? Should I even bother messing with it just to get a bit of a thicker barrel? I do prefer a heavier gun rather than a lightweight rifle, it helps me with accuracy. Your thoughts?

I've always avoided "sporter" barrels for range work, as its said that after repeated shots they heat up and accuracy goes... but they've fine for hunting where you may fire 2 shots all day.

If its currently a tack-driver, I'd leave well alone.... I have a .223 MVP Varmint with the 24'' med barrel and thats also a tack driver, but maybe we've both been lucky!!

On the other hand, I have a MVP LC in .308 that I've had some problems with, so I'm taking to get rebarrelled tomorrow. Discussing the new barrel profile with the gunsmith, it looks like some "sporter" barrels are thicker than the current barrel..!!

Daryll.

I've measured the muzzle on the MVP "sporter" with a micrometer and it comes in at 5/8" at the very tip. The "Medium Bull Barrel" measures at 3/4" at the very tip so it apparently isn't that thick of a barrel, and the difference if any I would imagine between the Mossberg stock sporter and med. bull barrels are negligible. My Savage 110 .30-06 and my Mauser 98K both measure at 9/16" at the muzzles, a full 1/16" less and firing a much larger bullet. I have fired over 100 shots in my mossberg in a period of less than 40 minutes with the "sporter" barrel configuration and regardless of how hot the barrel got, my grouping at 200 yards did not open up or spread out. It hammered the targets in the same spot every time so I really think its one heck of a rifle. A medium bull barrel I might like better if it had the same accurracy but just with more weight. I personally prefer heavier rifles to lighter ones.

Since Mossy doesn't know if they can sell you a barrel, it sounds like a PERFECT excuse to get another gun... ;)

Back