• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Source of 5-40 plug screw for front bead?

As the title indicates, looking for a plug screw. My 930 is an older Breacher model with a badly canted front bead. I have removed it and simply want to plug the hole.

,,,,,you could get a long one and cut it off.

,,,,,JB weld??????

Keep us posted.

,,,,,you could get a long one and cut it off.

,,,,,JB weld??????

You know, JB Weld is actually a good idea. It would then be flush and barely noticeable. It's not like that hole would ever be used for anything else. That bead was seriously canted off to the side!

You know, JB Weld is actually a good idea. It would then be flush and barely noticeable. It's not like that hole would ever be used for anything else. That bead was seriously canted off to the side!
It will blow out. Use a 1/4" 5-40 screw, Loctite (or better, silver solder) it in place, and cut off with a Dremel. Use a Dremel emery wheel to flush it with the bore, and take it down with 200 grit wet/dry paper on the top, then refinish with cold blue, or spray-on of your choice.

It will blow out. Use a 1/4" 5-40 screw, Loctite (or better, silver solder) it in place, and cut off with a Dremel. Use a Dremel emery wheel to flush it with the bore, and take it down with 200 grit wet/dry paper on the top, then refinish with cold blue, or spray-on of your choice.

I was checking the threaded hole and it doesn't appear to penetrate the barrel. This is the heavy 18.5" barrel.

Certainly verify, but I would say it is probably a full-through hole. It would be pretty expensive to blind-hole and flat-bottom tap these barrels.

Certainly verify, but I would say it is probably a full-through hole. It would be pretty expensive to blind-hole and flat-bottom tap these barrels.

I know it doesn't make sense on a budget shotgun, but after pushing and prying with a pin punch, it appears the hole is indeed blind and flat-bottom tapped. I also see no evidence of a hole when looking through the barrel. So I suppose I will try Mossy's suggestion of JB Weld and see if it holds.

Back