• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

$1000 to spend... what should I do????

Okay. Shooting it is an absolute dream!

The four-pound trigger has no take up or creep. Recoil is almost zero with 1000-fps 240-gr cast lead Specials. Magnum 240s are about on par with shooting a .410 shotgun.

Only one disappointment. And it's maybe big or maybe insignificant.

It shoots way high. Henry Rifles is sending me two taller front sights of different heights. This tells me that if they have a short, a medium, and a tall then this is nothing really unusual. I guess I got the short one installed at assembly.

Last edited:
Well, we'll see how it shoots after the tall front sight. How high is it shooting?

You'd be surprised just how much a tall front sight will drop the barrel down when you're aiming, lower the point of impact. But I'm sure you already know that.

I'm glad you got to shoot it. And I'm glad it's a soft shooter. I half expected that it would be with all the weight of the gun filling your hands.

Well, 6 inches is quite a bit.

But, is within reason for most adjustable sights like AR's and AK's and the like will adjust out. So, I'm going to be hopeful that a taller front will take care of that.

Nitesite, looking forward to seeing how it does.

watermonkey, I could probably tell a few stories, but I doubt nitesite wants to have to start a whole new thread.

And he would have to because it involves a prostitute with a prosthetic leg, a gallon of Crisco, and a pack of firecrackers.

Cleanup in aisle 3.

Nitesite, looking forward to seeing how it does.

watermonkey, I could probably tell a few stories, but I doubt nitesite wants to have to start a whole new thread.

And he would have to because it involves a prostitute with a prosthetic leg, a gallon of Crisco, and a pack of firecrackers.

Cleanup in aisle 3.

Lol

You had me at prostitute
You sold me on the prosthetic leg
The rest was a bonus

OK, now I remember. It was called Grindhouse. This cook is looking for the perfect chili recipe and he finally discovers the missing ingredient(!) . . . as he's bleeding out into the chili. . . .

@Water Monkey see, I told you it was a bad idea. And I didn't even get to the best part of it yet. Those were just teasers.

Nitesite, you better post some targets up quick with the high sights. I don't know how much longer I can hold 'er together captain.

OK, I went back and forth about whether to send the rifle back to Henry for their amazing customer service and have them install the taller sight.

Then I considered having a local gunsmith just do it, which would eliminate me worrying about it being damaged or stolen or lost on its round trip to Wisconsin.

Then I waffled again and said it shouldn't cost me anything under warranty, so I'll ship it.

Then I realized that the box it came in would never be returned with the rifle, and I save all my boxes.

Sooooo.... today my rifle got the taller sight installed by my local gunsmith. Twenty bucks. The rifle's box is worth that to me.

Now I can get to zeroing the gun soon.

That is all.

Oh, and while I was at the gunsmith I bragged a little bit about the very good trigger which breaks with very little take up and no overtravel. We talked about it being very good for a rifle without a tuned action, which Henry Rifle is known for. I said I knew it was under six pounds, and probably close to five.

He said "Mmmmm..... I don't know. Let's see."

So he brought out his digital trigger scale and it breaks at:::::

3.84-lbs

I'm cool with that!

I strive to get 3.5 lbs for my precision rifles. If you're under 4 pounds and little take up and no overtravel, you're in high dollar custom trigger job territory.

I have AR triggers that I paid $175 to get down that low.

Just sayin' pardner.

Last edited:
Nitesite, I am the same way with boxes. I always keep the original. Most of my l. long guns were bought used and there were no boxes. I am fortunate enough to have two Henry rifles though and have the boxes for both. I really like them. A lot. I hope to get one more someday. I have a couple in mind. A color case 30-30, or a long ranger. It could just turn out to be a dream though.

I am fortunate enough to have two Henry rifles though and have the boxes for both. I really like them. A lot. I hope to get one more someday. I have a couple in mind. A color case 30-30, or a long ranger.

meanstreak~~~

I came soooo close to getting the color case hardened rifle in .44 Magnum. Their receivers are simply GORGEOUS!!!!

What turned me away was the much heavier octagon barrel (like almost two pounds) and the $250 upgrade for a gun I will carry in the brush.

Lighter... less expensive.... more utilitarian....

Those won out.

But damn the CCH version is unbelievable. Look at em........

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-color-case-hardened/

They are beautiful pieces. The octagon barrel is heavy for sure. I have a brass 45-70 with octagon and it is a heavy beast. I have only fired 4 rounds through it, then into the safe it went.The weight does help tame the recoil, but ya need a wagon to tote it anywhere. The brass is shiny and pretty, but I really like the CCH better.

Long story, but relevant to this Henry .44 Magnum lever gun thread and Mossberg in general.

So I recently had two dogs kill some of our ducks. Kathy and I were in the kitchen getting ready to leave for work when she heard a commotion out in the yard. She looked and yelled "David there are two dogs killing the ducks!"

I burst out the door and the big pitt bull and the husky bolted off down our long driveway. I could have probably hit them with my duty sidearm but I wasn't processing what had actually happened. As a dog lover I hesitated. Kathy was just crying and sobbing as I picked up the dead and wounded. It was an awful moment. Kathy was trembling and unable to speak. She eventually composed herself and we put the ducks that were still alive back in their enclosure and started to leave for work.

And I hadn't backed my patrol car maybe fifteen feet when I looked sadly toward our ducks and damn those two dogs had circled back again and were pawing at the enclosure. They were there to kill just for sport. And I instantly knew that they would never be kept away by their stupid owners who never restrain them. They were going to come again and again. So out I came from the patrol car with an AR-15 in my hands and I effin' murdered the frock out of them from about 25 yards. They dropped like sacks wet cement and I pumped a couple more into their heads because I was frocking angry. All copper Barnes TAC-X 62-grains at @3200-fps spray blood and guts far and wide.

We LOVE dogs, have owned them for decades and never want to see anyone's dog hurt. I'm a cop who searches for signs of animal abuse and neglect and help prosecute people who abuse any animal.

Heck our dogs are are family. Even sleep with us some nights. But I completely changed my mind that day. Some dogs just do need eradicated when they encroach my property.

So the two neighbors who owned the dogs searched high and low for their dogs but they never found them.

And now one neighbor has TWO huge adult pitt bull dogs and the other has gotten another adult husky. This time for now at least they are chained up.

I just put my Henry .44 Magnum rifle at the front door and a Mossberg 590 20" GRS with a weapon light and full of eight LE127 9-pellet buck by the kitchen door.

If these new dogs ever come around on my property interested in my farm livestock I just might murder them as well. I just don't know, as every dog is different.

My farm. My decision.

Back