• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 590A1…

mic214

I was a LEO for 34 years. During that time, the Remington 870 was the only shotgun we used. I was able to work with it pretty well, but being a "Lefty", I liked (And preferred) the fire controls on the Mossberg line of shotguns. So when I retired, I picked up a 590-A1 and an 835.

My 590-A1 had a 20" barrel with a standard bead sight. It was my main HD gun for a couple of years before I gave it to my son in law. I then switched to my 835, which I had converted to HD use.

The “Lads”:

Last edited:
That's awesome, same model I used to have! I have the M7 but I didn't get that until after I sold the gun, lol!

Where you're saying if you did it again you'd get the GRS, I used to say if I did it again, I'd get the 590 with shorter magazine and 18-1/2" barrel so I could also use 835 barrels. But now I have the 835, which looks similar or nearly identical to the one you posted in the intro section with black synthetic furniture and long barrel. But mine has the 20" barrel with rib. Only difference I can see.

That's awesome, same model I used to have! I have the M7 but I didn't get that until after I sold the gun, lol!

Where you're saying if you did it again you'd get the GRS, I used to say if I did it again, I'd get the 590 with shorter magazine and 18-1/2" barrel so I could also use 835 barrels. But now I have the 835, which looks similar or nearly identical to the one you posted in the intro section with black synthetic furniture and long barrel. But mine has the 20" barrel with rib. Only difference I can see.

I like the 20" barrel for the added capacity it offers in the mag tube. I also liked the metal trigger guard and safety of the 590-A1's vs. the plastic trigger guard and plastic safety of the 835. With my old eyes, the GRS help a lot for shooting slugs......:)

I don't know if my 835 is an odd ball of sorts but the trigger and safety both are metal. I use 3 dot fiber optics on the rib set up like rifle sights on mine.

I don't know if my 835 is an odd ball of sorts but the trigger and safety both are metal. I use 3 dot fiber optics on the rib set up like rifle sights on mine.

Both of my 835's have had the plastic trigger guard and safety. It is not a big deal to change them with the metal 590 parts and I may do that on the 835 I have now. One thing I noticed on the 835 I have now is that it is not drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver. My first 835 was drilled and tapped. Again, not a hard thing to have a gunsmith take care of.....

I just picked up a used 590A1 from a member on another forum. This one is a 51663. The previous owner had swapped out the rear stock for a Magpul stock:

I had a Magpul fore end with a TLR1 mounted on it that was going to go on my 835, but it fit perfectly on this baby:

I eventually plan to add a Magpul front sling swivel, taller cheek riser and a “Hi-Viz” magazine follower.

Last edited:
I brought my 590A1 up to Colorado to do some shooting with my son-in-law who now has the first 590A1 I bought a while back. He really liked the Magpul furniture, so I got an FDE set for mine and I will be giving him the black set on our next trip up there……:)

Back