• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OR3GUN Combos with SBE Precision Piston Now Available

That is a great combo, Steve! Any idea when you'll have more pistons available? I'm already OR3gunned up...:thumbsup:

The OR3Gun and SBE Precision are 1st class quality components. I have them on my 930. Also if any of you have a Nordic components mag extension SBE has a +1 end cap that will allow one more shotshell in the magazine. I have a custom Mossberg 18 1/2 " barrel (I sent it to Carlson's to have extended RemChoke tubes) with a Nordic +2 mag extension. I added the SBE +1 end cap to the Nordic tube and now I am 7 + 1. I also added the SBE mag follower. I had to trim the mag spring about 1 inch to fit the 7th shot shell, but it works great and with the extended choke tube, the magazine extension is flush with the muzzle which looks great.

The OR3Gun and SBE Precision are 1st class quality components. I have them on my 930. Also if any of you have a Nordic components mag extension SBE has a +1 end cap that will allow one more shotshell in the magazine. I have a custom Mossberg 18 1/2 " barrel (I sent it to Carlson's to have extended RemChoke tubes) with a Nordic +2 mag extension. I added the SBE +1 end cap to the Nordic tube and now I am 7 + 1. I also added the SBE mag follower. I had to trim the mag spring about 1 inch to fit the 7th shot shell, but it works great and with the extended choke tube, the magazine extension is flush with the muzzle which looks great.

Thank you for the great feedback. I always appreciate happy customers.

Pic?

Follower, piston, and extension arrived today. This is a 22" JM Pro, and the mag now holds 9 with about an inch of wiggle room.

Great stuff - thanks Steve!

Now, if you can make extensions and followers of this quality and sell for $20-$25, how about some reflex sight and Aimpoint micro mounts around that price point too...?

IMG_20190913_201426.jpg IMG_20190913_201546.jpg

0916191138.jpg

This started out as a security breacher barreled Model 930. I found it accidently at the local WalMart after the Sandy Hook school shooting when the STX and JM Pro models were in short supply and difficult to find. I added a +2 Nordic Components mag tube extension and barrel clamp with a G & G sling and Tac rail adapter for a weapons light which is on the opposite side of the shotgun.
I then added a SBE Precision gas piston, a JM Pro outer piston ring, a +1 mag tube cap, and magazine follower and an OR3gun mag tube spacer. Last I installed an MCarbo trigger/sear spring that reduced the trigger pull to about 3 1/2 lbs. Oh and I added an enhanced safety slide.
I opted to retain the bead front sight because it is faster for me to acquire steel plates. I could have bought a JM Pro for half as much as I put into this shotgun but it is a one of now because Mossberg does not offer the 18 1/2" home security barrel in a choke tube version. I'm confident the extended modified choke RemChoke tube will allow me to deliver sufficient pellets at typical 3 gun ranges to drop the heavy steel targets.
The capacity is 7 +1, 2 3/4" shotshells.

Love it, Joker! I've been mentally piecing one of these together in my head almost identical to what you have. About the only thing I think I'd think about is one of the XS big dot front sights.

What light are you running on the other side? How do you like it?

I don't think you gave up much starting with the Security model, with Steve's piston (see how I'm keeping this mild hijack on topic...?), it levels the playing field. At least $100 to OR3GUN is about a given regardless of which model you start with... I do like the orange follower a lot better than the blue too.

Last edited:
The light on the other side is a combo flashlight and red laser unit that I found at of all places, Wal-Mart. It was around $67.00 and the light uses the 123 batteries like the Sure Fire lights. the light is very bright and has an excellent strobe function. The laser is mounted parallel with the barrel so the adjustment screws are 90 degrees off. It has been a sturdy little light for the money.
I like the 930 platform and when I bought it they were in short supply. You probably remember that time; ammo was scarce, $700 AR-15's were selling for $1,500 to $2,000. I just happened to be in Walmart and noticed the 930 Breacher shotgun sitting in the turntable. A note on barrels, Brownells sold the same barrel I am now using and wanted $192.00 + shipping for the 18 1/2" home security barrel. I called Mossberg and they sold me the same barrel direct for $148, shipping included.It would have been cheaper to buy a JM Pro or SPX but I have the exact barrel length I want plus three extended choke tubes to adjust my shot pattern. I also have the option to use a rifled choke tube for slugs.
One of the biggest expenses was shipping the barrel to Carlson's Choke Tubes who by the way did an outstanding job. Flush fit choke tubes were cheaper however I opted for extended RemChoke tubes which cost more for threading the barrel and the blued stainless RemChoke tubes cost double the standard choke tubes. I think I dropped somewhere around $160.00 for the installation and purchase of choke tubes and that is where the extra cost is. The SBE Precision parts (stainless piston, +1 Nordic magazine cap, and magazine follower), OR3Gun parts, and the MCarbo trigger spring kit were collectively a little over $100 which I considered reasonable if they perform as advertised.
Mossberg sells parts direct for a real good price. I bought a 590A1 trigger assembly for my Mossberg 500 direct from Mossberg and it cost around $48.00. I contacted them first to insure that the 590A1 trigger assembly was a drop in replacement. I sent Mossberg my trigger group and they checked it for compatibility and returned my original with the New 590A1 trigger group. I wanted the 590A1 trigger group because the assembly frame is metal instead of plastic. I installed an MCarbo trigger spring kit (much more involved than the 930 kit) to get a better trigger pull. The stock 590A1 trigger pull is 8-9 lbs and the MCarbo kit dropped it to about 5 lbs. If you happen to buy a Mossberg 500 trigger spring kit from MCarbo, watch the installation video and buy the little spring compression tool.

Follower, piston, and extension arrived today. This is a 22" JM Pro, and the mag now holds 9 with about an inch of wiggle room.

Great stuff - thanks Steve!

Now, if you can make extensions and followers of this quality and sell for $20-$25, how about some reflex sight and Aimpoint micro mounts around that price point too...?

View attachment 21637 View attachment 21638

That looks fantastic! $25 mounts would be a bit of a stretch, but maybe I should look into that too.

That's great! The 22 in Barrel gives you a longer magazine extension and more shotshell capacity. That's great! With the 18 and 1/2 inch barrel, I can only do 7 plus one and that's with not much wiggle room.

@steven berson, have you seen Mossberg's new 940 Pro shotgun? They used your piston and mag follower, a copy of OR3Gun's spacer tube, and a stock competition bolt release button.

@steven berson, have you seen Mossberg's new 940 Pro shotgun? They used your piston and mag follower, a copy of OR3Gun's spacer tube, and a stock competition bolt release button.
They tried to copy the piston, and spacer, but ended up making changes that produced something in between the stock 930, and modified 930. The 940 still has issues in some areas, and the gas system isn't as good as and SBE/Or3gun modified 930.

Back